Taking my mom and mom in-law to the gym today

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
We are starting the New Rules stage 1. Hoping it goes really well, they have never done anything like this and are excited/anxious. Hoping they love the weights as much as I do.

Have you ever gotten a family member started at the gym? Did you have any success?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've tried with friends before (those who actually show an interest beforehand) but I've never been successful. Nobody sticks to it :ohwell: Same goes for my bf, some of his friends are like "oh I want to come train with you" etc etc yet they never do.

I think it depends how much a person really wants it. You can show them, and just hope they love it as much as you. I think if half my friends had actually tried out the weights for a while, once they start seeing progress, they'd love it! (maybe I'm kidding myself??) I hope it works out well with your mum and MIL :smile:

It reminds me of this film I saw on youtube a few days ago though, about Powerlifting, and once people start they get "bit by the iron bug" I know not all lifting is powerlifting, but I thought, that's so true!! Once you start and see results, you're hooked! :laugh:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Before I started new rules of lifting, I was just making up my own circuit training with body weight exercises and some other nonsense. My workout partner liked it but it was a little confusing because I was making up something different every day. I could barely keep track of it myself :laugh:

Then we started NROL and have a nice spreadsheet to track it all. We love it. I hope your family loves it. If they show a bit of interest, maybe get them to read the book? Then they can really jump in.

Some people have a real aversion to pain. I know, no ****, right? What I mean is they try lifting weights and they say oh my gods that HURTS!! And they literally don't understand the difference between something that is heavy and difficult and something that is actually hurting them. One of my older coworkers says she's been lifting weights for ten years BUT SHE HAS BEEN USING THE SAME RESISTANCE FOR TEN YEARS. Anything heavier makes her wrists hurt. Guess what, my wrists "hurt" too, but then I put the weights down and it stops after a few minutes.

Well, all that's a long way of saying, if they love it, they love it. It can be tough to get over a lifetime of "knowing" that lifting weights will instantly turn you into a man or lesbian or something.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Then we started NROL and have a nice spreadsheet to track it all. We love it. I hope your family loves it. If they show a bit of interest, maybe get them to read the book? Then they can really jump in.

I got them the book for Mothers Day! Unconventional I know, but they seemed excited. I'm whacked, I went through and created a spreadsheet for every workout in every stage and made us all binders. Anything to make it easier and to show progress. I'm moving in a month and hoping they will continue it together. That's the idea anyway....