Strength Training and weight gain...

Options
rosy_rsls
rosy_rsls Posts: 114 Member
So I have been doing a weight training class three times a week for an hour.... I love it so far, but I seem to be gaining weight... any advice? I also do an abs class before. I alsowouldn't mind hearing some ideas on what my calorie intake should be... I don't want to bulk up.

Replies

• tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well if you are building muscle, it will cause some initial weight gain. Don't worry about the number on the scale, look in the mirror instead.

As long as you are eating at a caloric deficit you should shed some body fat, and strength training is a great way to make sure you maintain your muscle mass as you lose weight. Initially you might gain a pound or two because you are gaining muscle.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner to weight training, you can get some small muscle gains (1 or 2lbs at the most), but mostly it will be water weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this is normal and good. (it's not fat weight you're gaining). carry on.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Probably water weight and nothing to worry about.

However gaining muscle isn't a bad thing but you generally have to be eatoing more than maintenance to do so.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is normal to new lifters. Granted it is typically water weight, don't freak out about the scale increase. Focus on getting as strong as possible. You can achieve some substantial strength gains when you are new to lifting, take full advantage of it. Continue to lean bulk, then go on a cut cycle later if you're not happy with your BF% or how you body looks, but keep you BF% at a healthy point, do not go below 15% or so, otherwise you may run into some health complications.
  • rosy_rsls
    rosy_rsls Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump:tongue: