WOW eating exercise calories is wrong i guess

karissastephens
karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So i was watching these videos and if u listen carefully it says to lose a pound it takes ten days without eating exercise calories.. hmmm.... watch

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/body-sculpting/workout-rut-8285

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    I eat mine and it's working for me!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    So i was watching these videos and if u listen carefully it says to lose a pound it takes ten days without eating exercise calories.. hmmm.... watch

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/body-sculpting/workout-rut-8285

You'll find it's a HUGE debate on here, whether or not to eat them. My thinking is that everyone needs to check out both ways, and see which way works best for them. :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    What you missed on this video is that she is not addressing the people who are on a restricted diet. MFP already has you at 3500 calorie deficit to lose that 1 pound. If you work out 350 a day and do not eat those cals, you will be giving your body 850 calories of fuel!

I heard this video to say keep eating what you are eating now, and add weight training to lose 350 cals a day, lose 1 pound in 10 days. Makes sense 350 x 10 = 3500

When she says dont increase your calories, she is referring to the ppl who want to bulk up and eat addl protien calories to do so. My weight training friend who was trying to bulk up and get huge muscles would eat 1500-3000 EXTRA cals a day to build up the muscle

Does this make sense??? I want to help not hinder.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    I was eating my exercise calories but not losing any weight. When I stopped eating them that's when I started losing more. Maybe I was allowing myself too many, I'm not sure. But what works for me is to not eat them. I think everyone is different and you just have to do what works best for you.

Memaw
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I've come to understand that some people who are confused about this aren't clear on what the calorie limits MFP has given them means (ie: big discussion with bf on it, lol).

Based on each individual person's weight, age, height and activity level (which we input), there is a calorie number that will keep them at the same weight they are right now. MFP lowers that number by a certain number of calories depending on how much we each put in that we want to lose per week. There IS a minimum for males and for females - 1200 for female and 1500 for males, I think? Those are the healthy limits.

So when we exercise, we are burning up some of that bare minimum fuel our bodies require in order to simply function. In order to keep that fuel level at a minimum of 1200/1500 so we don't enter survival mode (where the body refuses to relinquish it's hold on fat), we need to eat enough to compensate for at least some of the calories we burned up while exercising.

Why exercise? To be toned, to benefit our organs/health, and to allow us to eat MORE. Some of us have a really tough time sticking to 1200 calories, so exercising for 45 minutes can give us a welcome extra few calories which make the difference between feeling satisfied and hungry.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    The video is really just saying that to lose a pound you need a 350 calorie deficit every day for 10 days. Doesn't really matter if you create that deficit from reducing food or increasing exercise, or a combination of the two. And I agree that weight training should be a part of your regimen when losing weight.

You have to experiment until you find what works best for you. I've found that I need to eat back most of my exercise calories but leave enough of a margin for estimating errors.

Remember, machines tend to overestimate calories burned by about 20% and unless you are weighing your food, it is likely that you are underestimating your calorie intake.
This discussion has been closed.