Help!! I sit at a desk all day!!

Options

Replies

• placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I do too! I hate the lighting..Also i hate cubicles. lol.

Protein is the key here. I use to carry snackwell cinnamon raisin bars in my desk. They did great, but it was too expensive to keep buying'em. So I found something else to help me. At my work, along with tea's and coffee's, they have hot chocolate. I use butter nut sugar free hot chocolate. It taste no different. It has 50 calories. It has 4 grams of protein. Protein=Feeling full. The snackwell bars had 7 grams of protein but 140 calories.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    ***raises hand

Ive worked two full time jobs for the last 17 years: as a Chef and in Accounts Receivable (Medical billing)... I left my Chef job now that I have an empty nest (running around with my head chopped off, job) to a mainly sit-down job as a medical billing rep.

I make sure that my breakfast is high protein and high fiber. That helps to push any cravings off.... I also have my 64oz jug of water by me that I fill twice per day.

Snack supply at my desk : pistachios, organic trail mix, dark chocolate. I very rarely hit the snacks because my breakfast and lunch are planned out in advance to have the high protein and fiber that I need.

I work out at the gym every morning at 4:45am for a good 75 minutes, have my breakfast when I get to work.

right now its about 10:30EST, Ive got my water and coffee. I ate at 7:15am this morning, and Im still not hungry....

Get like Miyagi - and 'balance'
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've got snacks covered, but I also keep a kettlebell at my desk. 10 - 15 kettlebell swings every hour, tricep lifts, etc.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Also at a desk all day. What I find works the best - planning ahead! Every night I write out the "menu" for the next day and I stick to it. If you plan yummy and healthy snacks, you'll have something to look forward to between meals, and you will know exactly what you will have to eat and when. That way when snack time comes around you won't be tempted by anything lying around - you just go to your prepared snack. Good Luck!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Plan it and log it all before you eat it.

Drink lost of water so you need to take regular breaks to visit the bathroom.

I find high protein and higher fat is better than carbs but experiment and find what works for you.
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    I also sit at a desk all day. I have Breathsaver mints. They keep me from wanting to snack because I cannot eat anything else with mints. :laugh: That is my biggest helper when I'm sitting here and want something.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Special K has a good line of snacks. I do the baked cheese crackers

I do fruit
    mini special dark chocolate hershey squares to curb the sugar craving (you can find them sugar free they are like 40 cal a piece)
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I also sit at a desk here are some things I do.

The kitchen is on the 3rd floor so I run up and down the stairs throughout the day whether its to get coffee, get water, heat up my lunch, I will go to the bathroom on the 3rd floor just to be able to use the stairs. if no one is on the stairs when I go down the first time, I will run up and down two or three times. For me I burn 20 calories each time I run the stairs do this 10 times and I burn 200 calories.

I use my desk for push ups.

If I eat my lunch in the kitchen, I will use the chair for dips.

I start work at 8:30
    As for food:

Breakfast, I eat at 9:00

2 glasses of water

Midmorning snack at 11:00 (strawberries)

2 glasses of water

Lunch at 1:30

2 glasses of water
    Afternoon Snack at 3:30 (quaker chewy granola bars chocolate 90 calories, lorna doone 100 calorie or yogurt)

2 glasses of water

Leave work at 5:30

Get home at 6:00, immediately do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred

2 glasses of water

Dinner at 7:00-7:30

2 glasses of water

fruit

then bed
  • SwtMelissa86
    SwtMelissa86 Posts: 165
    Options
    I keep a couple of granola bars in the drawer but the best advice I can give is to eat a good breakfast and plan a healthy lunch. If you focus on eating snacks to get you through the day then ultimately that's just what you'll do. I keep the snacks for days I'm running late and don't get breakfast or working through lunch so I'll have something to carry me through until I can get a decent meal.

^^^ this is a great reply... exactly what i do..
  • joypeaceloveall
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day as well. I drink a lot of water. Warm drinks like tea or coffee tend to keep me feeling full too. Co-workers bring in a lot of cakes and pies quite a bit, so to avoid the sugary treats I try to bring in food from home like carrots, celery, apples, grapes to snack on and also bring my lunch from home most days. That way I know the calorie count at lunch. I try to get up at least once per hour and move around and take a walk a couple of times throughout the day, especially at lunch.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have been sitting at a desk for 2 years now! Definitely take some breaks of possibly walking around. If you need to ask someone a question instead of emailing or calling, go walk to them! At lunch time walk instead of eating..Maybe eat at your desk from 11:30-noon then at noon go walk! That;s what I have been doing and it seems to help tremendously! Also, drink water, string cheese, fruit, veggies all of those for snacks! :)
  • 4My40th
    4My40th Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I usually bring bananas, nuts, hard boiled eggs, and tic tacs to work. I sit at a desk all day too.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Things that work for me:

Hard boiled eggs (kept in my cooler bag)
    Honey Wheat Pretzel sticks
    Flavored mini rice cakes
    Motts Healthy Harvest applesauce cups
    baby carrots
    granola bars
    Special K bars
    String cheese

I generally bring breakfast, lunch, and at least a few snacks each day. I keep granola bars and/or special K bars in my drawer at my desk. I don't always eat all the snacks I've brought for the day, it just depends on the day. I try to get most of my water intake for the day while I'm at work, too, to help keep me full, and also to keep me from being up all night having to pee.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I also sit at a desk all day. I have Breathsaver mints. They keep me from wanting to snack because I cannot eat anything else with mints. :laugh: That is my biggest helper when I'm sitting here and want something.

Mints are great for keeping hunger at bay, I do this too..
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit, 100 Cal popcorn, gum, veggies/hummus...

I sit in front of a desk all day...I make it a point to get up every hour and go to the bathroom...I do 100 jumping jacks in the bathroom while I'm there...doing that 7-8 times a day starts to add up...
    I also make sure to drink a glass of water an hour so that also gives me an incentive to got the bathroom....

When I'm on the phone I stand up so I'm not always sitting down...

I park in the back lot to get extra steps in.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too and I start work at 7 so I eat breakfast very early. I find eating a piece of fruit about 10:30 along with a bottle of water helps a lot. Cantalope and watermelon seem to fill me up the most compared to an apple and a tangelo. After your snack just make sure you drink 16 ounces of water and you will be good
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    I have one of those dreaded desk jobs as well, all day everyday. Something that helps me tremendously on my snacking is having a structured routine while at work and consistently plan a weeks worth of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Knowing what I'm going to eat all week gives me less time to waffle towards the less healthy food. I'm always up running to refill my water glass, it get me moving and hydrated. I also have half a protein bar mid morning and the other half mid afternoon. This has gotten me results and works great.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I've been sitting at a desk for 20 years or so. :) It definitely has it's down sides and if you have any nervous energy, the easiest way to channel it is to munch, munch, munch… not the BEST way, but the easiest. :)

Get an insulated lunch bag and fill it with your snacks for the day and only eat those. Here's some I do…

Baby carrots
    Apples … if I have a super-sweet craving, I will drizzle (and I mean a little drizzle) of light chocolate or caramel syrup over slices
    Celery + Laughing Cow cheese wedge
    Blackberries (good sales here lately)
    Low-Fat Yogurt
    Nuts (a few have a lot of calories though)

for sweeter things, I allow myself occasionally to have
    Cascadian Farm PB kid-sized granola bars
    Fiber One "brownies"
    Kellogg's or Nabisco "fruit crisps" type snacks (sort of a dehydrated pop tart taste)
    Diet Soda

And I always have a piece of chocolate… a small piece. Dark Chocolate bars with fruit in them are my favorites - particularly if they are already in "pieces" that break off easily.

GOOD LUCK!
  • sc9576
    sc9576 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi

Ive only just joined this as I turn 30 on the 17th June and I dont want to be fat and 30! I work 10hr shifts and work various different times of the day (2 early shifts, 2 mid shifts and 2 night shifts)sat at a desk for 9 of those hours and find it hard not to boredom eat due to my job I cannot read a book or do crosswords or anything like that unless I am on a night shift

Can anyone recommend snacks that are nut free as I have a nut allergy but most diet tips are to eat nuts as a snack! I am getting bored with eating a little box of raisins every day