Protein/Meat for Lunch

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like to bring canned tuna and always cook extra of any meat that I make so that I can bring leftovers to work. This week, I sliced a pork tenderloin into small pieces and cooked it at the beginning of the week, half of it in one seasoning and the other half in another. Chicken breasts are a staple though. :)

Not a fan of tuna in the can and not sure how this can be considered healthier than lunch meat since it is processed and canned... I do not like the salmon in the packs either but may have to check those out for variety...

Canning something doesn't necessarily mean "processed". Putting tuna in a can is no more processing than putting it in a wrap. Many times it can be high in sodium, but there is low sodium canned tuna. You just have to check the labels for additives. The reason lunch (deli) meats are unhealthy is the added sodium and nitrates.

I don't see many cans of tuna swimming in the sea...

It's minimally processed, but processed nonetheless. Processed =/= bad/unhealthy

Well yes, that true. I don't see many tuna steaks swimming in the sea either. Gutting and deboning fish is processing. But since the OP is making a wrap, I assume she's more worried about unhealthy additives than processed. Unless there is a land where wraps run free that I don't know about. :wink:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I like to bring canned tuna and always cook extra of any meat that I make so that I can bring leftovers to work. This week, I sliced a pork tenderloin into small pieces and cooked it at the beginning of the week, half of it in one seasoning and the other half in another. Chicken breasts are a staple though. :)

Not a fan of tuna in the can and not sure how this can be considered healthier than lunch meat since it is processed and canned... I do not like the salmon in the packs either but may have to check those out for variety...

Canning something doesn't necessarily mean "processed". Putting tuna in a can is no more processing than putting it in a wrap. Many times it can be high in sodium, but there is low sodium canned tuna. You just have to check the labels for additives. The reason lunch (deli) meats are unhealthy is the added sodium and nitrates.

It's minimally processed, but processed nonetheless. Processed =/= bad/unhealthy

Well yes, that true. I don't see many tuna steaks swimming in the sea either. Gutting and deboning fish is processing. But since the OP is making a wrap, I assume she's more worried about unhealthy additives than processed. Unless there is a land where wraps run free that I don't know about. :wink:

Which further highlights the processed always equals bad mentality, when nearly everything is processed to some degree.

And yes there is a land where wraps run around, it's the same fantasy land where carbs and only carbs make you fat and unicorns prance around
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And yes there is a land where wraps run around, it's the same fantasy land where carbs and only carbs make you fat and unicorns prance around

That makes me sad. I'd like to see a unicorn, but I don't want to give up carbs or get fat. :cry:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Well yeah... but it's a lot better than an awful lot of other stuff, and if you buy it in water it has no additves and is certainly cleaner than mass produced chicken. Just depends how purist you want to go.
  • Feddyvon
    Feddyvon Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't raise chickens, don't hunt turkey, and have never fished for tuna. I'm not sure there is a tuna season in Kansas anyways. With that said, I just have to accept that process free foods are almost a myth for my living situation, and take what I can get.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bird, fish, cow, pig....frog?

IF I had a man that hunted my chest freezer would be full of venison and wild hog....

Why do you need a man to hunt for you?

Mainly because I don't hunt but all my male cousins do, so maybe I should ask them for leftovers:wink: