Cooking with Oil question

Options
DeniseB0711
DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
So today I cooked some peices of fish with a table spoon of olive oil. Before you bash me on the prep method, I had good reason...the fish was previously frozen and the only I can stand fish after its frozen is if its cooked in oil, as other methods tend to leave the fish mushy and gross.

Anyways, so I used a tablespoon of olive oil and I logged that into my food log, but I know I didn't eat ALL of it as there's still lots in the pan. would you just log the one tablespoon and be done with it or meausre the left overs?

Denise

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Accuracy counts, and the oil is coming with nutrition that you should count accurately. If you only actually ate about half the oil, then that's what you should log.

I'd log all of it, but only after sopping up the leftover beautifully healthful olive oil out of the pan with a piece of good bread and eating it.

I'd log the bread, too. :laugh:

PS: Or you could simply pour that olive oil over the fish when serving it and solve the question that way.
  • misspersimmon
    Options
    Maybe you can divide the amount of olive oil you put in the pan by the amount of servings you will have of the food you cooked. Assuming the oil is evenly distributed, this would give you an approximation of how much you are consuming.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with olive oil! I use it to cook all the time. If I were you, I would log half of it if there is a lot left in the pan.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just log the full tbsp but measuring the difference should be pretty accurate as well. Whether to log it one way or the other is your choice. I log the full tbsp because I like having the leeway later in the day if I need it but some people have to stick solidly to their calories.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong in cooking fish in oil!
    maybe log it as half a tbsp? just to be sure?

mmmm fish fry!!:heart:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Some people measure what's left in the pan. Other people take the amount they used and divide that by the number of servings you at of it. So if you did 4 pieces in 2 tablespoons of oil, divide 2 tablespoons by 4 servings. That would be how much each serving has. Those are really the only two answers I've seen for this question.
  • kodaks
    kodaks Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the exact same thing. I love buying pre-packaged frozen salmon filets from the grocery store, but the calories in olive oil are extreme. I've seen Olive Oil Pam spray in the grocery store that has virtually no calories, I wonder if that would work when pan searing fish? I might try it when I go shopping tonight.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It's probably not just oil left in the pan, but also juices from the fish. And you won't get any grief from me about using olive oil... I love it!

I'd probably either just estimate how much oil went into the fish (half a tbs, perhaps?) or look up the calorie count of the sauteed version of the fish (i.e. "salmon sauteed," vs. just "salmon filet.")
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Log all of what you used. I know there's some in the pan, but it's better to be over cautious than under-cautious.

And there's nothing wrong with cooking with oil. Olive oil is good for you and on WW they tell you to try and get 1 tablespoon a day. Or at least that's what my mom told me and she's had success with the program.
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    I asked this same question and got bashed hardcore. Everyone said to just log the whole thing.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I've been wondering the exact same thing. I love buying pre-packaged frozen salmon filets from the grocery store, but the calories in olive oil are extreme. I've seen Olive Oil Pam spray in the grocery store that has virtually no calories, I wonder if that would work when pan searing fish? I might try it when I go shopping tonight.

Pan searing is different, and you don't need a fancy spray to do that. Simply put less oil in the pan (just enough to keep the fish from sticking). Of course, there's nothing WRONG with cooking spray, it's just an expensive way to grease a pan.
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

I do this and it works great!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the perspective. Good news is I didn't bread the fish. :D LOL.
  • returningmyfatsuit
    returningmyfatsuit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Regarding the olive oil spray in a can...They are tricky buggers when labeling! Think of it this way: the can contains pure oil/fat. There are 9 calories in one gram of fat. This is fact. So how can that whole can have 0 calories?

It doesn't. :(

The way they make it sound calorie free is by adjusting the serving size until the amount of calories and fat in that serving are negligible. When it says that there are 0 calories in a 1/2 second spray, it's because it's small enough that they don't legally have to mention them.

A can full of olive oil has calories whether it is sprayed or poured. It's all in the serving size! Don't let them trick you :)

Also, olive oil is great! Nice choice.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'd just cook with less oil next time.Or if you really wanna eliminate oil you can pat the fish after (assuming it wasn't breaded or floured) then you can probably count half a tsp of oil.
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Accuracy counts, and the oil is coming with nutrition that you should count accurately. If you only actually ate about half the oil, then that's what you should log.

I'd log all of it, but only after sopping up the leftover beautifully healthful olive oil out of the pan with a piece of good bread and eating it.

I'd log the bread, too. :laugh:

PS: Or you could simply pour that olive oil over the fish when serving it and solve the question that way.

Definitely what this guy said. I certainly understand everything in moderation but extra virgin olive oil is incredibly healthy for you. I never cook with anything else...unless I'm cooking with real butter for some reason.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you had something leftover in the pan to measure, then you used A LOT more than a tablespoon of oil!!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

there's also additives in it...thats not so good for the body...i think? Maybe a plain Misto...oil spray bottle would be healthier?
  • indigenousnudity
    Options
    I cook my fish in butter or coconut oil and just toss some spinach in the pan to soak up any excess. Tastes great
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options

there's also additives in it...thats not so good for the body...i think? Maybe a plain Misto...oil spray bottle would be healthier?

There aren't that many additives in most cooking sprays - they just play games with portion sizes to list zero grams of fat on the label (set a portion size so it's .4999999 grams and they can round down). Basically what you're getting is very overpriced oil mixed with food-safe propellants that mostly dissipate anyway.

But, yeah, a hand-pump pressure sprayer with pure olive oil is ideal for oiling a pan. As is just dumping a tiny bit in when the pan is cool and rubbing it on with a clean hand.

I tend to measure out a small amount of oil for cooking in, because I generally use olive (for stirfry) or coconut oil (when I need more heat) and I want the nutrients and good fats from the oil. It gets logged as part of the recipe.