Water and Unsweetened Tea?

Options
I drink a LOT of tea. No sugar, no nothing. Just a regular tea bag in water.
Should I be counting this as water intake as well since it's 99% water?

I know it seems like a 'duh' question. *^_^*

Replies

• SweetDee80
    SweetDee80 Posts: 62
    Options
    I have wonder the same thing! I usually don't count it as my water intake. I am happy to meet a fellow tea lover, by the way! I love hot tea. I do not put anything in it either.
  • NeekyRae
    NeekyRae Posts: 34
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone! I live on the stuff. haha
    I'm trying hard to change to water but tea is just my thing!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count unsweetened tea as part of my water intake. It is only mildly diuretic; it's fine to count it. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but that's ok. If I agreed with them, we'd both be wrong. :)
  • SweetDee80
    SweetDee80 Posts: 62
    Options
    What is your favorite type of tea right now? I am in love with Green Tea Superfruit by Lipton. I am drinking it now actually :smile:
  • NeekyRae
    Options
    Yes, I count unsweetened tea as part of my water intake. It is only mildly diuretic; it's fine to count it. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but that's ok. If I agreed with them, we'd both be wrong. :)

:laugh: Thanks! I've been wanting to. I will now. Cheers with our tea! :drinker:
  • NeekyRae
    Options
    What is your favorite type of tea right now? I am in love with Green Tea Superfruit by Lipton. I am drinking it now actually :smile:

Ooh, have been wanting to try that! =D Got some raspberry right now.
  • alexandrahrah
    Options
    I count it as my water intake unless it is black tea with milk.

green and various herbal teas usually have VERY little or even NO caffeine so they are really just leaves infused into water and they are hydrating you just about as much as plain old water.

I love tea! right now I am having lots of fun making my own iced tea at home with a little bit of splenda and a lot of ice :)
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am a big green tea drinker myself (Tazo Zen Green Tea). I actually just read that green tea burns more calories then water. I make sure I get my 8 cups of water though too not counting the tea. Tea is how I start my day though.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    when you think about it mosto f your tea is water and then you put a tea bag in. as long as you don't add sweetners you could count it
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I count it as water. Some would disagree.
  • SME1976
    SME1976 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I drink tea all the time. Right now I am drinking Blackberry Pomegranate green tea... I count it as water.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I quit all artificial sweeteners about 6 years ago, my addiction changed from Diet Coke to Unsweetened Iced Tea - just black or green tea on ice and LOTS of it... I make a 32oz-er in the morning and then dilute it with water a few times throughout the morning and then make another one mid-afternoon. I drink so much water, and dilute the tea so much that I DO count it as water, and usually drink 16-20 cups a day total - so 128-160 oz of liquid, way more than 1/2 water.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't count my tea as water, but I do log it. I'm about to make a cup of anise tea for the first time. I had no idea they made it and I love eating anise so it should be good!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have been told by a nutritionist that I can count all non-caffeinated beverages toward my water, and half of caffeinated beverages.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    For me, if it's caffeinated I don't count it as water. If it's decaf, I do. I drink my "black" tea so light I probably could count it as water, but I figure I get more H20 that way!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I count the green tea I drink (hot water/tea bag) as water, because I drink it all day at work. I also drink regular cold water along with it. Needless to say I pretty much float home! But it works!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The only problem with tea is it has caffeine and that dehydrates. So that's why some say it shouldn't count. Not everyone is affected by caffeine the same. I can't drink much of it and only in the mornings. My husband can drink Diet Coke all day and sleep like a baby.

Also for some caffeine can stimulate your blood sugar and make it spike. I know that's why they didn't want you to drink much of it on the South Beach Diet.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking that question. I was wondering the same thing. I recently switched from coffee to Celestial Raspberry Non Caffeine Tea and now I can count it as water.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I count it as my water intake unless it is black tea with milk.

green and various herbal teas usually have VERY little or even NO caffeine so they are really just leaves infused into water and they are hydrating you just about as much as plain old water.

I love tea! right now I am having lots of fun making my own iced tea at home with a little bit of splenda and a lot of ice :)

splenda is all chemicals (poison) just like aspartame.

Stevia FTW
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Also if you make hot tea.... a majority of the caffeine comes out at the beginning of steeping it. So if you reuse your tea bags for a second cup.... you can count that!