Memorial Weekends

Options
2»

Replies

• iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    get up early and get your workout on first:wink:

that's my plan. going for my run in the morning before i head to the market.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Life is short... eat what you want (in moderation). But like others said, grilled chicken is your friend. Mustard instead of Ketchup on burgers and dogs. Easy on the breads and pastas. Snack on the veggie tray instead of the chips...... save room and calories to enjoy the deserts. :-)

I don't log calories on holidays. I count it as one of my cheat days and try to enjoy the day just being with family and friends. So kick back and don't let it bother you too much.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Along with what others have said, survey the whole spread before you get in line to make your plate. Load up on veggies and lean meat and pick one thing to indulge on. This will help from feeling deprived or like you are missing ut on anything. For me it would be my grandmother potato salad, but maybe for you its dessert or portioned chips and dip. Then thats it. No seconds unless its the veggies. And dont be afraid to ask the host how things are cooked, just like you would in a restaurant.

Limit your alcohol intake too. Not only does it add to calories but it gives that little bit of "oh screw it" attitude that could ruin a good weight loss week. I like to bring my own MGD 64 to BBQa. Its less calories bc it has a lower percentage of alcohol, so not only am I saving calories but I am having my normal 4 beers with only a 3 beer affect.

Perfect salad for things like this if you chose to bring your own described below. Pre-dressed lettuce wilts and gets soggy- no good.

Raw: Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes- this is the base. You can ad watercress or celery, onions, sugar snap peas, whatever you like.

Mix 1 ranch packet (or other dressing seasoning mix) with plain greek yogurt. Ad skim milk until you get the consistency you like.

Cut the veggies into small, equal size peices and mix the ranch in. Do this in the morning before an afternoon or evening BBQ and refrigerate. If the BBQ starts at 11 you can do it the night before. Its really good and simple and will maintain crunchy-ness all day.

OR 4th of July fruit salad: Cut strawberries in half or quarters if they are large, mix with blue berries and/or blackberries. Then mix in equal parts greek yogurt (I like to do plain for this bc the berries are so sweet but if the quality of the fruit is so-so like if you are using frozen strawberries, you can use vanilla greek yogurt or mix in honey with the plain) and whipped cream. Refridgerate for a few hours so the "dressing" soaks up some fruity flavor.

Have a fun, safe weekend!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Dang, future runner. The fruit salad sounds fantastic, and I don't even usually like creamy salads/fruit salads.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    say you are vegan and no one will invite you to to barbeques. no invitation=no temptation.
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    just splurge.

you only live once, and its just one day of over eating.

work out extra hard that morning no guilty feeling later
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    get up early and get your workout on first:wink:

THIS! Torch a ton of calories, then go to the bbq and have fun! :) You shouldn't be scared to go to events. Just be smart about your choices (mostly just portion control it) and have a good time.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Let's remember the real reason for Memorial Day and those that have gone before so we can have our Freedom!

Not to say don't have the BBQ, etc...

Thanks
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What's really good on the BBQ is veggies!!