FLAX SEED

Options
Does anyone incorporate this into your meals? How do you do it?

I was reading you can sprinkle it on just about anything.

Replies

• bikegirl777
    Options
    I throw it on top of my salads. Not more than a tablespoon or it gets slimy on the vegetables. I also put it in smoothies. It doesn't have any taste and everything I read says it will make me skinny and cancer free.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed oil on salads. Or added after cooking to hot foods like brown rice, steamed veggies, chicken etc.

Same with the ground flax seed to above items. Adds a nice nutty flavor.

I believe it can be used in baking too. But I generally avoid baked goods.
    Except today...... see my 'Starbucks' blog. :laugh:
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I use it, just a tablespoon a day because it's 80 calories. I have the ground flax seed that I mix in with my oatmeal or add to some yogurt, I've even added it to my tomatoe sause with my dinner. Where ever I can get it. It really has helped with my colon function and digestion.
  • anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    I sprinkle 1 Tbs on fruit with either yogurt or fat free cottage cheese. Haven't tried it on a salad yet - -will have to do soon! I love the crunch!
  • l_daniel
    l_daniel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My sister puts it on cereal and salad. When I have it around, sometimes I'll just eat a spoonful. I kind of like earthy tastes. Wheat germ is another really good one. I read somewhere the other day that wheat germ is one of the 5 most healthy foods. Who knows, but it's really good in oatmeal and yogurt.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it on cereal or in yogurt. Just make sure that you use ground flax seed or flax seed oil, not the whole flax seeds. I just heard on Oprah that whole flax seed does not give you any of the omego 3 benefits because it does not digest in your system. You just poop it right back out.
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it on cereal or in yogurt. Just make sure that you use ground flax seed or flax seed oil, not the whole flax seeds. I just heard on Oprah that whole flax seed does not give you any of the omego 3 benefits because it does not digest in your system. You just poop it right back out.

you said "poop". :laugh:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Does anyone incorporate this into your meals? How do you do it?

I was reading you can sprinkle it on just about anything.

I put a sprinkle on salads, in yogurt, in my home made granola...................
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My sister puts it on cereal and salad. When I have it around, sometimes I'll just eat a spoonful. I kind of like earthy tastes. Wheat germ is another really good one. I read somewhere the other day that wheat germ is one of the 5 most healthy foods. Who knows, but it's really good in oatmeal and yogurt.

Coconut oil, wheat germ, flax, I forgot the other 2................
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think on a salad sounds fabulous so I will for sure have to try that!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It is true that you only get the Omega 3 benefits from ground flaxseed, so really watch the claims that are listed on crackers, breads, etc. that list Omega 3 benefits from whole flaxseed. You might be consuming it but your body won't aborb it. As much as I love my Kashi cereal, the honey almond flaxseed type lists that it has omega 3's but I don't count them because the seeds are whole. I do take a EFA supplement at the advice of my doctor and so I probably don't need a lot of extra in my diet anyway.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    If you had the whole seed wouldn't you be able to crush it at home before you put it in your chow to get the benefits?
  • RyanLB
    RyanLB Posts: 4
    Options
    I cook with flax seed oil...then you can digest it better. Just a thought. Its not cheap though.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Uh oh...I just bought a package of flax seed and was planning to ground them myself in a spice grinder. Will that work? I want those benefits if I'm eating 80 extra calories!
  • Bulletproof_Helen
    Bulletproof_Helen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have milled organic flaxseed, I add a desert spoon to my breakfast. Make sure you drink plenty of water otherwise you might get a 'clogging' effect (my sister had this) :drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Found this online. Apparently it's better to grind it yourself at home!

When you grind flaxseed, you allow the lignans to be better used by the body. Plus, if you eat them without grinding them first, they have a tendency to stick in your throat and along the sides of your mouth. Although you can buy pre-ground flaxseed in canisters at many groceries and health food stores, this isn't advisable. There's evidence that you get more health benefits from flaxseed when it's freshly ground.

If you want to grind flaxseed, what's the best way to do it? You can buy small kitchen grinders that are designed to grind flaxseed for under $20.00. These can be found online by Googling "flaxseed grinders". If you have a coffee grinder, this will work also. Another option is to use The Magic Bullet, the little mini-blender advertised on infomercials. It's best to grind flaxseed on a daily basis whenever possible to ensure you're getting the maximum health benefits.
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    I grind flax seed with a coffee grinder. Gradually incorporate it into your diet. Overdoing it right away will cause digestive issues. I put mine in smoothies and on sandwiches, especially pb&j.
  • dreadpiratedavis
    Options
    While working for an organic/whole foods deli, I happened upon this tasty combination:

Add 2 tsp. chili pwdr. to 2 tbsp. flax oil, warm gently (optional: dash of salt)

Pour over veggies, pasta, rice, tofu, etc.; also useful as a glaze or dipping sauce.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle a tablespoon on yoghurt.

I buy the ground version. Can't be bothered grinding it myself. :smile:
    ........... everything I read says it will make me skinny and cancer free.

You're not serious about this last bit, right? :noway:
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I put it in my yogurt, and in my homemade granola or muffins.