Another intermittent fasting question

Options
So I know there are questions everywhere about IF but I was wondering why everyone always skips breakfast instead of dinner? Does it matter? I've been meaning to try IF because I would like to avoid eating in the evenings which always seems to be my downfall. If I avoid eating in the evenings completely then I seem to be fine.. Can IF be done from say 3pm-7am fast with eating from 7 am to 3pm? I say this because I would much rather eat a big breakfast than dinner, and just do my workout before breakfast... Thoughts?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I know there are questions everywhere about IF but I was wondering why everyone always skips breakfast instead of dinner? Does it matter? I've been meaning to try IF because I would like to avoid eating in the evenings which always seems to be my downfall. If I avoid eating in the evenings completely then I seem to be fine.. Can IF be done from say 3pm-7am fast with eating from 7 am to 3pm? I say this because I would much rather eat a big breakfast than dinner, and just do my workout before breakfast... Thoughts?

I would guess it's because it's easier to have part of your fast during when you sleep, then it continues when you skip breakfast vs being up and active during most of it.
  • acfkaren
    acfkaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you is the key!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

In addition to Acg's reply, I would suspect that IFing the standard way will work great for you because now you'll basically be able to eat a lot at night because you'll have the calories saved for it.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    In the past, I've done a 22/2 but with my refeed at lunchtime postworkout...it was pretty bad feeling all bloated throughout the evening from cramming so damn much food in me at once. Plus I felt kind of hazy working out right at the height of my fast. I just prefer feeling light all day and sleeping it off now like most IFers
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options

In addition to Acg's reply, I would suspect that IFing the standard way will work great for you because now you'll basically be able to eat a lot at night because you'll have the calories saved for it.

I get the point of this, but I eat much healthier in the mornings...which is what I would like to continue to do. I have a bit of a hypoglycemia so I get really bad headaches if I skip breakfast and wait until the afternoon to eat, but I find its only near the end of a fast that this happens so I figure If I can sleep through the end it would be easier for me because I will be asleep
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    In the past, I've done a 22/2 but with my refeed at lunchtime postworkout...it was pretty bad feeling all bloated throughout the evening from cramming so damn much food in me at once. Plus I felt kind of hazy working out right at the height of my fast. I just prefer feeling light all day and sleeping it off now like most IFers

I was just wondering if it would have the same effect? Like is there a reason its only done through night and breakfast instead of the reverse
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I get the point of this, but I eat much healthier in the mornings...which is what I would like to continue to do. I have a bit of a hypoglycemia so I get really bad headaches if I skip breakfast and wait until the afternoon to eat, but I find its only near the end of a fast that this happens so I figure If I can sleep through the end it would be easier for me because I will be asleep

I'm going to guess that IF just isn't going to be a good fit for you based on the above then. But, certainly give it a shot, and good luck!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Fasting.....I call that being too sick to eat. :wink:
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    LeanGains.com states that it's fasting schedule is built in that manner because it assumed the majority of people would have an easier time fasting at night. The reason given for this was that many people enjoy large dinners and going out in the evenings.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

I was just wondering if it would have the same effect? Like is there a reason its only done through night and breakfast instead of the reverse
    Most people don't like feeling hungry going to bed and are more likely to overeat at night anyways
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just re-read the info on the leangains site this morning, and from what I remember it was mostly for social and behavioral reasons - and therefore most people will stick to the plan better that way.... Also I believe it said something about that people find it easier to to fast in the morning hours than at night. I don't recall reading that you can't adjust your times though - I think you could do what works for you.

I wondered about this too, not only because I prefer to go to bed on an empty belly - but if I'm eating at night (after dinner), it's typically not for good reasons (or choices)..... Also, I prefer to work out in the morning and I tend to feel ill if I don't eat before and after. I also can't get over the belief that I want to fuel my body when it's active, and not when it's sleeping. I know - people say it's a myth, but it only makes sense to me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Fasting.....I call that being too sick to eat. :wink:

No one is asking you to do it. Many people have had success with it.
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    Yeah...I overeat at night and not the good kinds of food. I think if I just DONT eat at night then I won't have that problem.. Its much easier for me to avoid eating than avoid overeating once I've tasted something naughty! haha. Oh and I don't have a social life because I'm married, have a 2 y/o, go to school full time, and quit drinking. Soooo I don't think it's going to be an issue :P