Protein Drinks--help needed :)

Should I be drinking protein drinks when I am trying to lose weight and tone up? I am dumb as rocks when it comes to this topic. If someone could explain to me the cons and the pros --I will be forever thankful :)

Replies

• kettlegrl
    kettlegrl Posts: 3
    you should have a protein drink after you workout. YOur muscles need to "eat" otherwise you won't tone up.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    BUMP!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    I don't drink them every day. I do either when I am low on calories and need a quick fix, or after a heavy work out.
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    After about a month of losing muscle weight alongside body fat doing a low calorie diet, I bought a protein shake today with BCAAs and Leucine in it, which are supposed to help maintain muscle mass as you cut weight.

I'm planning on using it after heavy workouts to help maintain muscle mass as I drop fat..... of course I still expect to lose muscle mass, but I'm hoping this will slow it down.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Protein powders are a supplement. Meant to serve to supplement your overall nutrition. A general guideline for protein intake is .8g per lb of lean body mass. Or if you want, you could follow the government's RDA. The protein supplement isn't going to make you gain or lose weight, it's there to fill a gap, should you have one. Overall, calories are what will determine whether or not you're losing or gaining weight.

There are many forms of protein powder on the market and each one of them has a different composition which people choose based on their goal. Some are better suited for dieting down (zero carb, zero fat), some are designed for those who are trying to bulk up (high carbohydrate content, and there are many which fall in between.

Take a look at your diet. Are you getting enough protein? If not, my recommendation is to have a look at something like TruNutrition Sciences Trutein, or Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion. They are both excellent tasting and the Trutein packs a punch in the taste department for the number of calories / macro's it contains.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    As long as it fits into your daily calories you won't gain weight - and it's good for you!:happy: