7 Rules for Healthy Eating

Options
barbarella
barbarella Posts: 609 Member
This was in the newspaper this morning...... :drinker:

From Michael Pollan, author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food." He appears in the new movie "Food Inc." He writes in support of healthful, natural foods and against corporate farms and highly processed edibles.

1. Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food -- yogurt tubes, for example.

2. Don't eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.

3. Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter, where real food tends to be located.

4. Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot (e.g., Twinkies). Honey might be the only exception.

5. Always leave the table a little hungry. :tongue:

6. Enjoy meals with people you love. :love:

7. Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. :laugh:

Replies

• denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    GREAT rules to live by!!
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i like it:laugh:
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I wish I could stick to that! I'm gonna try!!:embarassed:
  • bikegirl777
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I cannot leave the table hungry, even just a little bit. It's hard enough giving up my lifetime membership to the Clean Plate Club.

I love the rule about not buying food where you buy gasoline!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This was in the newspaper this morning...... :drinker:

From Michael Pollan, author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food." He appears in the new movie "Food Inc." He writes in support of healthful, natural foods and against corporate farms and highly processed edibles.

1. Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food -- yogurt tubes, for example.

2. Don't eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.

3. Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter, where real food tends to be located.

4. Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot (e.g., Twinkies). Honey might be the only exception.

5. Always leave the table a little hungry. :tongue:

6. Enjoy meals with people you love. :love:

7. Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. :laugh:

This is pretty much the same thing that Dr. Atkins has been preaching for years, yet I get told everyday on this website how unhealthy I am eating....................... go figure

The omnivore's dilemma is another low carb (controlled carb) eating plan.
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    lol hahahha I like those rules I have always gone by the if i can't pronounce it don't eat it one
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I'm starting to come to the ultimate skepticism that if the government regulates, controls, or subsidizes it, it's probably not the best food choice to stuff in my mouth.

Prime example being "USDA choice" meats...some are okay. Some...well...don't even want to know.
  • mamajess1
    mamajess1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Great rules! Thanks for posting.