Looking for "Start Here" tips from the successful!

Hi,
I just learned of MFP today and am excited about it!
I am looking for your best "start here" tips!
I know that a lot of re-learning is required, but it is also overwhelming.
So....what helped you get started
OR
what is your best tip that has helped you along the way.

Thanks!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Start logging and keep with it. Know you will fail and that it is ok to fail. Portion control, portion control, portion control. Remember to be patient. These worked for me.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Stay on the outside isles of the grocery store, fresh meats/poultry/fish, dairy, cheese, yogurt, fresh veggies.

Go to the inside isles for whole grains, but avoid processed foods like sugary cereals (I still like my Kashi and Store Brand "Healthy Mornings" and my Fiber1 bars)

LOTS of protein, try for about 100 grams a day, watch your sodium, like a hawk, try not to go over.

EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES! :)

Oh, and EXERCISE.

And forgive yourself and know you're human if you have a bad day, but pick yourself up tomorrow, and know you can't do THAT every day.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Welcome! This is a great site to keep you motivated and hints and tips on what works for others. Make sure to log in EVERY day good or bad. There are different views on a few subjects(ie eating back exercise calories, ) You have to figure out what works best for you and your lifestyle. This can be hit or miss in the beginning and confusing. Don't give up, keep trying It takes time to get to know how your body reacts to your calories. Good Luck
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Stay on the outside isles of the grocery store, fresh meats/poultry/fish, dairy, cheese, yogurt, fresh veggies.

Go to the inside isles for whole grains, but avoid processed foods like sugary cereals (I still like my Kashi and Store Brand "Healthy Mornings" and my Fiber1 bars)

LOTS of protein, try for about 100 grams a day, watch your sodium, like a hawk, try not to go over.

EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES! :)

Oh, and EXERCISE.

And forgive yourself and know you're human if you have a bad day, but pick yourself up tomorrow, and know you can't do THAT every day.

This! For the most part, the more you put into it, the more you'll get out. I haven't lost a ton of weight yet, but this is what's been working when I have been losing. And remember that if you work too hard or don't eat enough, your body is gonna hold tight to the fat it has (starvation mode). Definitely eat your exercise calories, take good care of yourself, and remember that you are human and that this isn't a perfect science. It's a learning process for sure!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Welcome!

Exercise is big.
    Drink atleast 8 cups of water a day (I drink 9)
    Log all your food

I personally don't eat back my exercise calories ... I have a cheat day 1-2 times a week so I use those to balance me out. This has worked for me, but I know for some others it doesn't work.
    THIS IS ONLY ME, there will be a tonne of people on here who don't agree with that. I totally back up the zig zag theory.

It's really all about finding out what works best for you, but I can tell you weeks I lack in exercise or water, my loss lacks.

I have lost 79lbs in 13 months - some weeks I gain, some I maintain, most I lose... but don't let the first 2 get you down.. it all adds up in the end.

ETA for the most part my days are healthy, BUT this is a lifestyle change not a diet, so moderation has to be included for you to keep it up. If we are having cake at work, I will eat it, if I can fit it into my calories...
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Check out the message boards... Soak in a bunch of information (though don't believe everything people say!) ...Get some friends added for support, show others support.
    Tell yourself that you are making a lifestyle change, and not looking back!
    Find some sort of exercise that doesn't feel like a "chore" to you
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Find a diet/workout lifestyle that you can stick with. The diet/exercise that you adhere to long-term is a hundred times better than the "perfect" regimen that you "cheat" on or drop as soon as you hit your goal weight. Fitness is the product of your lifestyle over time.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    What has worked for me: logging my food *religiously*, and eating enough protein (up to 44 g per meal/snack/whatever). The protein will help you stay full.

What doesn't work: thinking that if I stop logging, the calories really don't count. If I eat it, my body will log it! No more excuses.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Buy the book "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes.
  • jbachhuber
    jbachhuber Posts: 22 Member
    1) Be honest about your "lifestyle"...most of us these days are sedentary...working at a desk....
    2) Track everything that passes your lips...including the pad of butter that goes on the role and the 1/2 glass of wine you have to finish the bottle...even housework (cardio, burining calories).
    3) Get as active as you reasonably can and eat those calories back.
    4) Be patient and keep your long-term goals in mind.

A couple months from now, you'll be amazed by what you've accomplished!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Buy the book "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes.

you do not need to purcase anything. let me be very clear, that is a blanket statement, bu it is true, You Do NOT Need To Purchase Anything.

That includes a gym membership, magic pills, potions, or lotions, books, special equipment.

All you need is (FREE) MFP, and a pair of shoes you can walk in (which you likely already own).

Stick to your calorie goals, and take a walk often. There's no bigger magic than that.
  • BUMP!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!