Warrior Dash

Options
Has anyone participated in the Warrior Dash? A group of us from work are going to do this in FL Feb 2013. I'm making this my first big fitness goal, by then my goal is to be at 75% of my goal weight and at the same time will give me plenty of time to train for this challenge. Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• proppernurse
    Options
    Nope I'm in the same crazy group with you!!! :happy: We're nuts but it will be fun. I look forward to seeing others pointers. Lord knows we need them.
  • asilver615
    asilver615 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello, I just posted this on the other board, so here's my suggestions: Run hills, lots and lots of hills (up and down), work on your upper body strength, stay focus and be positive :)

I did Warrior Dash last 2 or 3 wks ago, May 5 in New Mexico and I'm doing it again in Colorado, August 2012. I'm surprised I did all the obstacles that I'm scared off like Climbing the Great wall, Cargo net, the balance beam; etc. It's all about Cardio-Strenght and running the hills.

The biggest drawback for me was running the hills. I suggest that you should train more on running up and down the hills. I usually run at the gym since it has a track, but it didn't really help me. In Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder you are not going to run in a flat/concrete surface. It is mainly hills & rocky surface.

FOCUS is important too! I was going to freak out when I was on top of cargo net because I don't know where to put my other leg when you switch to the other side or when you go down the net and I'm scared of heights too. Good thing I'm flexible and so I did it slowly climbing back down..There's also other ladies that are freaking out that they can't do this and that. If you are not comfortable with the obstacles then you can go through the side and skip it.

As for strength: Do burpees, push ups, bear crawls, dips, planks, pull ups, lunges. Also, work your 'Grip' for pulling the rope, 'Flexibility' and 'Balance' for the balance beam.

Good luck! :)
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    I just did it this past weekend. Honestly I think it is more of a mental workout than a physical one. I am afraid of heights so climbing stuff was a challenge, but I over came it.

This was my first time and I found myself walking a lot instead of running, but now I know what to prepare for next year. If I had to do it again I would run cross country trails (hills, off paved surfaces) to prepare. The most you have to run at one time is maybe 3/4 of a mile, then you run into one of the obstacles where you usually have to wait your turn.

The day before I carb loaded some and drank extra water to prepare. I had a light breakfast (no sugar added applesauce, granola bars, and some powerade zero on the ride there). Make sure you eat at least an hour before, if you eat any closer to your start time you'll more than likely end up with an upset stomach.

Bring towels, change of clothes, extra shoes, socks, and water to clean off with. They spray you off with a hose at the end of the race but it isn't enough.

The other people there are friendly and will help you out when they can. Just go into it with a positive attitude and have fun.
  • jcrnprn
    jcrnprn Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I really want to do this without going around any of the obstacles. The wall is the one that scares me, so upper body strengthening will be a focus along with building endurance. Someone has also suggested gloves for the rope climbs.
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    I didn't wear gloves, but I did see people there with gloves on. The wall isn't hard because it has steps.