2 egg whites lightly beaten
1 c seasoned bread crumbs
1 medium eggplant
2 large tomatoes
1½ c (6 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, peeled
12 sliced Italian bread (1/2” thick) toasted

1. Combine basil, oil, oregano, pepper and salt. Set aside. Place egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Cut eggplant lengthwise into six slices. Dip slices in egg whites and then coat in crumbs. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning once.

2. Cut each tomato into six slices; place two slices on each eggplant slice. Spoon reserved basil mixture over tomatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 3 – 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

3. Meanwhile, rub garlic over one side of each slice of bread; discard garlic. Place each eggplant stack on a slice of bread, garlic side up. Top with remaining bread, garlic side down.

Nutrition:
1 sandwich

288 cal
9 g fat (4 g sat. fat)
18 mg cholesterol
628 mg sodium
38 g carb
5 g fiber
15 g protein

Diabetic exchange: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat

Replies

• denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    That's sounds really good! I think I know what I am going to have for lunch tomorrow!! :happy:
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    That's sounds really good! I think I know what I am going to have for lunch tomorrow!! :happy:
    They look really good in the mag. I havent had time to make them. Hope they turn out good for you!
  • FINALLY4ME
    FINALLY4ME Posts: 643
    Options
    i love eggplant....usually make stuffed eggplant or eggplant parm for my family and would skip it myself or just have a teeeeeeeny (not even worth it)slice.....this looks great!!!

oh grilled eggplant is good too....time to go buy some:drinker: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this one!!:smile:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! I :heart: eggplant but unfortunately most recipes and restaurants like to drown it in oil and fry it up. This looks delicious.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I've been finding some really great, healthy recipes lately...if I find anymore eggplant ones, I'll be sure to post them :smile:
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    thanks for this! It looks so yummy and I have an eggplant in the garden that is almost ready to be picked, now can't wait to try this!
  • LADAHLIA
    LADAHLIA Posts: 7
    Options
    Ive been doing Slim in 6 for 3 weeks now and have lost 12lbs...had to stop for medical reasons for a month but back on and kept the weight off...now my question is what numbers do you use as a guide for calorie intake, carbs, protein etc...do you use the grid on MFP or what? Im doing 60carbs a day now but its getting very boring...so I see all these great recipes here in this community and I think Im ready to jack up my carb #s now...and start introducing fruits too....am nervous tho as this is the first time in 10years Ive have seen the scale move..but I know now I have to eat to get the metabolism going...how accurate are the numbers posted on MFP for a guideline?

next question is have you made caponata? and if so I guess I would have to calculate each ingredient and then divide the portions right? this is so tedious but we are worth it! good losing to you too! LA
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I put this in the recipe box 4 months ago:noway: and decided to make it today. Needless to say this will not be in the back of the box anymore! It is DELICIOUS and filling. A little much on the preparation but it is soooooo worth it. Oh and I didn't have fresh tomatos so I used hunts tomato sauce and to cut the calories even more I didn't use olive oil with the spice mixture. YUM