Eat more fat

Options

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No prob.

I just don't see enough love for fat round these parts, usually.

Love the fat!! :heart: Especially the avocados and the dark chocolate!! Mmmmmm. Oh, and bacon :heart:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, first I'll say I agree with the idea of eating fats, I'm not one to shy away from a good piece of steak.

I don't see any reason to stay away from grains or legumes though. Other than the obvious intolerance or allergy reasonings.Plenty of reasons to stay away from PROCESSED grains, but not whole or cracked grains. There is ONE reason I can think of that's not directly tied to an actual medical condition, and that's the mental "carb addiction".

for instance whole wheat has the following minerals:
    Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Sodium, Zinc,
    and Vitamin B-6, Vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol, Folate, Vitamin K , Niacin (m, Riboflavin ,Thiamin , and Beta Carotene. not to mention it's high in fiber.
    which is a very hard combination to find in a single other food.

NOW, that isn't to say that I couldn't find foods that have all of these in them and more, I could, and I could probably make a pretty tasty meal out of it too, just saying it's a valid healthy choice. So while it's perfectly fine to have a diet that includes no grains, it's also just as fine to have one that includes grains. Remember, folks, our body's developed as omnivores, which means we ate meat, yes, but we were also designed to eat plants, tubers, and leaves as well.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I should add that I eat via Paleo standards.

Just to clear up the grain disliking. I do agree that we should do what works for us. I'm still not convinced by any standard though (and this is my own opinion) that grains are vital for human health.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Just to clear up the grain disliking. I do agree that we should do what works for us. I'm still not convinced by any standard though (and this is my own opinion) that grains are vital for human health.

vital? Nope, they aren't. But they are important in that they are relatively easy to grow, don't require a lot of water, are nutrient dense, easily stored and transported, and can be made into many things. This is why it's such an important crop for the world, not so much that it's a super food, health wise or anything. So on a macro scale, without grain, the world wouldn't be able to support half of the people we have now (whether that's good or bad is another topic).
  • mrd232
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately that turns into another philosophical topic for another time. Unfortunately in the US the amount of resource, land, and regulation used to grow corn and soybeans could indeed be put to much better use. All the foods with HFCS? Completely unnecessary, sickening almost. Ethanol, about the same sentiments.

Yes, agreed - Grain is typically the easiest solution for a 3rd world country but then contributes to malnourishment and deficiencies. Ahhh...another topic for another time, though.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna throw this out here --- I hate to see fat vilified in diets, nutrition advice, etc. So from me to you, here’s my suggestions for embracing fat. The good kinds are healthy for your heart and are at the CORE of keeping you satiated. There are entirely too many false myths about fat, many of which the AHA even supports (WHAT!?)

I didn’t start breaking a weight plateau with exercise. I did something radical and went for all real foods, no grains, no processed sugars, no legumes. I’ve broken my plateau, and my health stats are the same or better (i.e. cholesterol, blood pressure, in case anyone was wondering). Basically, I’ve begun to eat REAL food including GOOD fat. Good fats are naturally occurring in foods in their real state, especially dairy.

If you want to eat some good fat, try these: olives, avocadoes, olive oil, coconut (unrefined) oil, coconut milk, 70% dark chocolate, eggs, animal fats (pref. grass fed meats --- eat the skin!), fish/krill, ghee, organic butter, whole (and/or raw) dairy, flax, whole yogurt, nuts, and seeds.

BAD fats include trans fats, chemically altered oils (i.e. overheated, reheated, rancid), unnatural oils such as Canola oil, oils with a high polyunsaturated/Omega 6 content (sunflower, veg. oil). Remember, some Omega 6 is okay, but don't overdo it. A healthy balance of 3/6 needs to be found.

If you’re looking for a gram / day recommendation, it varies. I eat anywhere from 80-110g, depending. Pair vegetables with fats – topping veggies in EVOO aids digestion and can be helpful in nutrient retention.

So pardon my rant, but fat is my friend. If you’re not convinced, I can certainly back myself up with many a study.

I have been telling people here the same thing..................

We eat the same way, but because I call my plan Atkins, I am bashed into the ground................

I eat coconut oil off the spoon, put it in my coffee, fry eggs in it.................
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna throw this out here --- I hate to see fat vilified in diets, nutrition advice, etc. So from me to you, here’s my suggestions for embracing fat. The good kinds are healthy for your heart and are at the CORE of keeping you satiated. There are entirely too many false myths about fat, many of which the AHA even supports (WHAT!?)

I didn’t start breaking a weight plateau with exercise. I did something radical and went for all real foods, no grains, no processed sugars, no legumes. I’ve broken my plateau, and my health stats are the same or better (i.e. cholesterol, blood pressure, in case anyone was wondering). Basically, I’ve begun to eat REAL food including GOOD fat. Good fats are naturally occurring in foods in their real state, especially dairy.

If you want to eat some good fat, try these: olives, avocadoes, olive oil, coconut (unrefined) oil, coconut milk, 70% dark chocolate, eggs, animal fats (pref. grass fed meats --- eat the skin!), fish/krill, ghee, organic butter, whole (and/or raw) dairy, flax, whole yogurt, nuts, and seeds.

BAD fats include trans fats, chemically altered oils (i.e. overheated, reheated, rancid), unnatural oils such as Canola oil, oils with a high polyunsaturated/Omega 6 content (sunflower, veg. oil). Remember, some Omega 6 is okay, but don't overdo it. A healthy balance of 3/6 needs to be found.

If you’re looking for a gram / day recommendation, it varies. I eat anywhere from 80-110g, depending. Pair vegetables with fats – topping veggies in EVOO aids digestion and can be helpful in nutrient retention.

So pardon my rant, but fat is my friend. If you’re not convinced, I can certainly back myself up with many a study.

We eat the same way, but because I call my plan Atkins, I am bashed into the ground................

I eat coconut oil off the spoon, put it in my coffee, fry eggs in it.................

I've seen you post a lot about coconut oil...it's got me curious so I may look for it the next time I go grocery shopping. What does it do for your coffee?
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    \

I've seen you post a lot about coconut oil...it's got me curious so I may look for it the next time I go grocery shopping. What does it do for your coffee?

Well, it gives it an oil slick, LOL..................But really, it adds a mild flavor to my black coffee and the fat keeps me full and satisfied until I feel like eating. Some mornings I don't feel like breakfast, so coconut oil gives me some calories and fat to keep me feeling good...........

I can tell you that coconut oil has antibiotic and anti-fungal properties to it. It is helping with yeast die off and getting rid of my sugar cravings entirely....................

I made it through this TOM without anything sweet, not even fruit.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Outside of increased carbohydrate - what exactly is in grains that is "missing" from vegetables?

If I'm looking to "carb" up on a higher carb day, I turn to starchy tubers - parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, yams.

Grains cause bloating and an inflammatory response for me.

I am seriously wondering if I have a wheat allergy. I formed allergies in my early 40s, much to my surprise. I now take a zyrtec each morning which helps with the airborne stuff, but if I am still feeding my body stuff it is allergic to, am I defeating the purpose?

Ok I have to make a plan...........cuz cutting out bread and pasta completely will just about kill this Irishman......but I will try.

Carbs in tubers......sounds good and I love them all!
  • mrd232
    Options
    Myself, I've had a reduction in the severity of symptoms after knocking out grains (wheat and others), but not an elimination of hayfever. I think it has a bit to do with reducing your body's inflammatory responses, hayfever being one.

I will tell you one highly positive thing about cutting out the grains is a serious reduction in migraine headaches. Part of my inspiration for cutting out grains in the first place was my aunt who turned to a gluten-free diet to reduce migraines. So, of course, I first tested the GF diet. Noticeable improvement. Went back to grains for a month. Severity increased. Went off grains AND legumes completely. Even lower severity.

You may want to first try a wheat free OR completely GF diet. It won't eliminate the grains entirely but it will work well if you have a sensitivity to wheat/gluten-containing products.

Some have success in eating amaranth, quinoa, and wild rice varieties. Quinoa is one that I allow sometimes in moderation. It's closer to a seed than a grain and does contain a high amount of protein.

I thicken sauces using coconut flour or arrowroot powder if needed, but not often (Low GF sensitivity).

Another option is to try crackers and "breads" made with pulverized / ground walnuts and/or almonds. They make an excellent base. There are a lot of great ideas and recipes on a number of raw food recipe sites.
  • mrd232
    Options

I like adding a spoonful to a handful of walnuts. It's like a healthy fat explosion!

It's odd...I think I was more "accepted" by others as a vegan (and chronic distance runner)...which, in its 6 month course was probably the worst experiment I've ever conducted in the name of health. It certainly taught me to embrace a wide variety of vegetables but put me on a blood sugar (carb crash) roller coaster, leading to fatigue and mood issues.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I like adding a spoonful to a handful of walnuts. It's like a healthy fat explosion!

It's odd...I think I was more "accepted" by others as a vegan (and chronic distance runner)...which, in its 6 month course was probably the worst experiment I've ever conducted in the name of health. It certainly taught me to embrace a wide variety of vegetables but put me on a blood sugar (carb crash) roller coaster, leading to fatigue and mood issues.
    [/quote]

Sorry that you're not as accepted now and that you had a bad experience. I was a vegan for several years and have been a vegetarian my entire life and haven't had any mood issues (that I'm aware of lol.) I agree with you about the fat...it's good for you in the right forms. Although I agree more with SHBoss on the grain issue. It's okay for some people to cut them out but for most of the world this just isn't going to happen. I love quinoa, teff, amaranth, triticle, barley, millet, rye, oats and even wheat (in it's purest form of course). Grains are a staple of my diet and I can't ever give them up. I believe too much in my beliefs that animals should not be eaten. I try not to shove my beliefs down anyones throat and I hope that I'm not coming off as harsh...just MHO.
  • mrd232
    Options

[/quote]

Sorry that you're not as accepted now and that you had a bad experience. I was a vegan for several years and have been a vegetarian my entire life and haven't had any mood issues (that I'm aware of lol.) I agree with you about the fat...it's good for you in the right forms. Although I agree more with SHBoss on the grain issue. It's okay for some people to cut them out but for most of the world this just isn't going to happen. I love quinoa, teff, amaranth, triticle, barley, millet, rye, oats and even wheat (in it's purest form of course). Grains are a staple of my diet and I can't ever give them up. I believe too much in my beliefs that animals should not be eaten. I try not to shove my beliefs down anyones throat and I hope that I'm not coming off as harsh...just MHO.
    [/quote]

No, completely understand. I was under a dilemma for some time regarding animal consumption. I was raised around farms and had the privilege of eating very natural, grass-fed meats and hunted meats (venison, turkey) for much of my childhood. As someone who has hunted and fished, it’s not that I don’t hold life in regard – I suppose I believe more in our evolutionary response in eating an omnivorous diet BUT within an ethical means (i.e. eliminating “factory” meat, purchasing sustainably farmed agriculture, organic, raw dairy, etc). It probably sounds a bit cold when one raises food or hunts for their food but I think it puts a very different perspective on the respect and meaning of obtaining a food source. Same for physically going out and milking a cow or producing yogurts and butters from scratch the old fashioned way. There’s wonderful sustainability in small farms and simple ways…but many have been lost in the hustle and bustle and fast food, big eating mentality. I buy organic, but when my wallet allows, I’d lov eot

I wanted to try the vegetarian / vegan eating as a response to having higher energy for running and as an experiment in sustainable eating. It does provide this, but even at a “healthy” weight, I was still at a higher body fat percentage and still had digestive issues. The issues I thought were a product of meat consumption…not so much. Meat consumption now for me isn’t just selecting bits of meat. It’s eating oddities – organ meats, fishes, animal fats, ghee, butter…

I really have no issues with vegetarianism. Veganism…I had a difficult time with. I’m not as convinced as I was that it’s a healthy means of living without natural forms of B vitamins and other proteins. I certainly felt much better when I included some forms of eggs or yogurt into my diet. A better option, grain-wise, I've found has been to avoid high gluten grains OR ferment grains before use. Many Indian dishes are made with fermented grains to aid in digestion.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

No, completely understand. I was under a dilemma for some time regarding animal consumption. I was raised around farms and had the privilege of eating very natural, grass-fed meats and hunted meats (venison, turkey) for much of my childhood. As someone who has hunted and fished, it’s not that I don’t hold life in regard – I suppose I believe more in our evolutionary response in eating an omnivorous diet BUT within an ethical means (i.e. eliminating “factory” meat, purchasing sustainably farmed agriculture, organic, raw dairy, etc). It probably sounds a bit cold when one raises food or hunts for their food but I think it puts a very different perspective on the respect and meaning of obtaining a food source. Same for physically going out and milking a cow or producing yogurts and butters from scratch the old fashioned way. There’s wonderful sustainability in small farms and simple ways…but many have been lost in the hustle and bustle and fast food, big eating mentality. I buy organic, but when my wallet allows, I’d lov eot

Agreed. I can't stand hunting or fishing really...I did it when I was younger. I'm a southern girl after all. I was taught to hunt/fish/ and shoot a gun and bow & arrows at a very young age. It's really about the killing the animal that bothers me. My hubby is more carnivore than omnivore, lol. I buy local deer...we know several hunters, local cow and pig (I can't call it by the 'given' name...it's an animal). We rarely have eggs in the house because we get them only once every 2 months from my aunts chickens and she lives out of state. We don't have any local dairy farms so I have to rely on the supermarket for it...always organic...can't stand the added hormones. I blame milk for me starting puberty at an earlier age. I'm also a lacto/ovo/pesco vegetarian. Although, I rarely eat fish it is in my diet.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options

Can you explain what "Paleo Standards" are? Is that a thought process behind a way of eating? A dietary plan? It's nto something I ahve heard of before.

Thanks!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I get mostly raw dairy from local sources around me. I also subscribe to a CSA, buy seasonal fruits and veggies from local farmers markets or my Neighborhood Coop.

There is an Amish explosion happening in my small rural area of Southern Illinois and soon I will be able to get fresh chicken, turkey, duck, grass fed beef, local pork, etc...................

I already buy raw milk, butter, cheese from a local farmer and dairy. I get eggs from 1 of 2 little old ladies that live down the road from me. Right now, I get grass fed beef, local pork and free range chicken from local sources..........................

I actually spend less purchasing groceries now, then I did before and we waste a LOT less to. I only buy what we are going to eat, so nothing goes to waste. I would rather run to the store every day or every other day then to waste good food.

Here is the website so you can find where local raw dairy is at in your area.

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Can you explain what "Paleo Standards" are? Is that a thought process behind a way of eating? A dietary plan? It's nto something I ahve heard of before.

Thanks!

I tend to agree that grains are not made for human consumption. Especially corn..............I mean come on, we don't digest it at all, it comes out the other end whole still!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Here is a website that I have saved in my favorites regarding the paleo diet.............

http://paleodiet.com/
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    No prob.

I just don't see enough love for fat round these parts, usually.

Love the fat!! :heart: Especially the avocados and the dark chocolate!! Mmmmmm. Oh, and bacon :heart:
    [/quote]
    Ummmyummy!! Me too!

Hey, do you have an allergy to Gluten or just grains in general?

I love my bread and carbs too much to give them up, but I've been eating brown rice and Ezeikel bread rather than other kinds of starches.

I always include oils in my foods, but stick with real butter and oilve oil. Not sure if I'm missing out on other sources, but I'm sticking to what I know..
    I tend to agree that grains are not made for human consumption. Especially corn..............I mean come on, we don't digest it at all, it comes out the other end whole still!!!!!

OMG!! That always baffled me to see that. How on earth does it reknit itself after I eat it? I KNOW I'm chewing it....lol Still love my corn, but only indulge in it maybe once a year.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I get mostly raw dairy from local sources around me. I also subscribe to a CSA, buy seasonal fruits and veggies from local farmers markets or my Neighborhood Coop.

There is an Amish explosion happening in my small rural area of Southern Illinois and soon I will be able to get fresh chicken, turkey, duck, grass fed beef, local pork, etc...................

I already buy raw milk, butter, cheese from a local farmer and dairy. I get eggs from 1 of 2 little old ladies that live down the road from me. Right now, I get grass fed beef, local pork and free range chicken from local sources..........................

I actually spend less purchasing groceries now, then I did before and we waste a LOT less to. I only buy what we are going to eat, so nothing goes to waste. I would rather run to the store every day or every other day then to waste good food.

I checked on the milk...nothing close to me. I'm in a suburb of Atlanta and there just aren't enough farms. I do have my own garden thank God...so lots of organic fruits, veggies, and herbs. I'm greatful to just be able to live on an acre of land. Most people are crammed onto 1/4 or 1/8 of an acre with no land...mostly house. I'm much happier in a smaller house and more land. We have an apple tree, fig tree, lemon tree (that I have to bring in during the winter), and a peach tree. I also have a green house so I pretty much have fresh produce year round and what we don't eat I take to the farmers market or to a soup kitchen.
    We also have a great Amish bakery but it's an hour away and I can only get up there every few months. I make most of my own bread or eat the Ezekiel from the store.
  • LeanLioness
    Options

I checked on the milk...nothing close to me. I'm in a suburb of Atlanta and there just aren't enough farms. I do have my own garden thank God...so lots of organic fruits, veggies, and herbs. I'm greatful to just be able to live on an acre of land. Most people are crammed onto 1/4 or 1/8 of an acre with no land...mostly house. I'm much happier in a smaller house and more land. We have an apple tree, fig tree, lemon tree (that I have to bring in during the winter), and a peach tree. I also have a green house so I pretty much have fresh produce year round and what we don't eat I take to the farmers market or to a soup kitchen.
    We also have a great Amish bakery but it's an hour away and I can only get up there every few months. I make most of my own bread or eat the Ezekiel from the store.

Wow!!! You are lucky to be able to have a green house to grow your own fruits and veggies............

We will be purchasing a house later this year (we are looking now) and that is one of the requirements. That I have land to produce a garden and I can cover it so I have a green house. I think I would start living out there breathing in the oxygen the plants are giving off and letting them have my carbon dioxide........... :laugh: :laugh:

For now, I utilize the Farmers Markets, local farms and Neighborhood Coop.