LONG! In desperate need of help! Starvation mode?

Options
This forum must get many thread similar to this one, but I have more details and I really don't know what to do!

I am 5'8" tall, 130 pounds, female. I'm trying to lose weight in order to lower my body fat percentage (my belly is about 31" wide, ugh). Sedentary activity level. Recommended goal is 1300cal per day. I started using MFP on May 1st (Newbie).

I don't binge, I don't have an eating disorder, and I'm happy with myself. I just want to be healthier!

Since the 1st of this month, I have not eaten junk food or drinks. I only drink water and tea sweetened with stevia. I rarely eat red/processed meats. I love fish and chicken. I don't eat candy at all, nor do I eat pizza, ice cream, frozen yogurt, popcorn, or anything processed. I guess you could say I eat clean.

I try to taper my calories throughout the day (I read that this is good), and I limit my sugar and carbohydrate grams to the guidelines of the Belly Fat Cure. I eat 15g (or less) of sugar per day, all from natural, unprocessed foods. I also limit myself to about six servings of healthy, wholesome carbohydrates. On good days, I eat about 30-50g of carbs.

This method seems to be working for me. I've lost about five pounds since the beginning of this month. I'm enjoying it, too, because it's very easy when you avoid junk food! I don't even crave junk food anymore. My carbs come from sprouted grain bread, vegetables, and legumes. I feel great; not like I'm forcing myself at all! I could never imagine myself drinking a "healthy" tea or juice that contains some 40g of sugar and carbs again! Overall, I feel like my lifestyle has changed for the better, and it's easy to avoid cravings (if I ever even have any, which are rare).

Anyway, enough ranting about that! Here's my actual problem:

I always, always feel full!

Now, feeling full is a good thing when you're trying to lose weight, right? Not so much in this case... As I said before, I try to taper my calories throughout the day, meaning that breakfast is my largest meal. Now, I love to eat, but I could never imagine eating two eggs and two slices of toast for breakfast! I would be beyond stuffed! My usual (and favorite) breakfast is:

1 slice Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain bread (with 1 tbsp. Breakstones whipped butter)
1 boiled 4 grain vegetarian egg
1 4oz. tilapia fillet (seasoned and pan fried with half tbsp. olive or Wesson canola oil)

This breakfast keeps me full literally almost all day! But even on days when I don't have time for a big breakfast, even if I just have the toast for breakfast, I feel very full! Never extremely full to the point of explosion, but very full. I've learned to listen to my body, and I only eat when I'm hungry. When you're hungry, you'll know it, right?
So yes, I try not to eat unless it is necessary. Besides, food is fuel; we should eat to live, not live to eat!

I usually have a light lunch; a salad with ginger dressing and sometimes a skinless chicken breast. Even by then I'm not too hungry, but I eat because I know I need the calories.

By the time for dinner, it's so late and I feel so full, I can't eat much of anything! My average food intake ranges from 500-800cal,

I know that this is bad. Every day after I finish logging, MFP warns me about starvation mode, and how I could ultimately lower my metabolism, making it harder to lose weight. I've even read online about some people who have completely lost the ability to lose weight due to ruined metabolism. Honestly, I'm scerd! :frown:

As an overview, my problem is that I not only eat too few calories, but I also never feel hungry enough to eat 1300 calories a day. To me, that is an overwhelmingly large amount! Again, my activity level is sedentary, and I don't exercise as I should. Currently, I don't exercise. I'm building an exercise regimen to start next month.

My questions:

--What can I do to add more calories to my day without going past my carb limit of about 81g? (note: I'm allergic to nuts :sad: so please don't suggest I eat any of those!)

--Should I even be thinking about adding more calories since I always feel so full?

--Even if I don't feel starved or starve myself, will my metabolism really lower and weaken because of my caloric intake?

--Wouldn't it be better for me to listen to my body than to numbers? I always feel full and happy with what I eat, so does reaching 1300cal really matter all that much?

--Is it normal that I always feel so full?

Don't get me wrong, I still get hungry sometimes! Especially on Sunday mornings when I don't have time for breakfast. But even on days if I were to eat three meals with lights snacks (I did a test day here on MFP), I would still only reach around 700 calories :indifferent:

This problem has really been bothering me for a long time now :/ The last thing I want to do is ruin my metabolism to the point that I can't lose any more weight! But I also don't want to unnecessarily fill myself!

Please help me out! I may have more questions as the replies come in, so please be patient with me! If you've read everything thus far without falling asleep, I commend you! I apologize for the horrible length of this post!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• HealthyMichie
    Options
    No one wants to help me out? :frown:
  • jspiliotopoulos
    Options
    When I started MFP two months ago, I could down a foot-long sub, some chips, and a drink with ease. Now, after eating a paltry six-inch sub, I find myself to be quite satisfied... Could it be that you're suffering from a similar phenomenon in reverse -- that your body is simply used to the amounts you're eating, and so doesn't release the ghrelin chemical at appropriate times to induce hunger?

If that's the case, I would suggest building up slowly to a caloric amount deemed healthy by your physician.

Good luck,

J
  • HealthyMichie
    Options
    @jspiliotopoulos, thanks for your insight :happy:

Could anyone else help address my questions?
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I am envious of your problem, sometimes I feel like my stomach is a bottomless pit incapable of satiation:laugh: I would advise having a physical exam w/ your pcp and after medical clearance getting an RD (registered dietician) consult. I'm concerned that you always feel so full and are not able to consume adequate calories/nutrients as a result. Are you having any other GI symptoms (i.e. nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, constipation or cramping)? Another strategy is eating small frequent meals or grazing throughout the day, you could also add liquid supplements such as Boost or Ensure. Additionally perhaps some physical activity would be helpful to spark your appetite? I think it's wonderful that you are committed to your health and nutrition. Best of luck to you.
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Basically you have to force yourself to eat more, once your body gets used to it (wont take more then a few days) you will start to feel hungry, and it will be much better off for it! you will have more energy, feel less tired and look better. You must be eating way below your BMR right now which means your body is eating into lean tissue for weight loss as it is programmed to survive, and will do so no matter what.

Just try and eat high calorie good foods in amongst your day, nuts , avocado, peanut butter etc etc and that shoudl take those numbers up a bit.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group on my fitness pal and just starting this sounds like a good place for you eat more to weigh less.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Don't get offended, but I see so many red flags in your post.

Why limit yourself to 81 grams of carbs? Sounds silly to me. You're at a good weight for your height.

I'd focus on eating intuitively, as healthy as you can/want, good fats/carbs, lots of protein, and do some weight training. Do not obsess over carbs, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. As long as you're eating a good balance, that stuff will work itself out.

1300 calories on a 5'8" 130 pound frame is already bad enough...but you sound like your obsessiveness with food is going to lead you down a very bad path.

Again, no offense, just a general feeling I get from your post.

Edited: I know from experience that a low calorie diet will ruin your metabolism. I did it to my own 7 years ago and it took a good 2-3 years to come out of it.:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'll be blunt and to the point:

1. Make sure that your settings are accurate.
    2. EAT MORE.
    3. EAT MORE.
    4. Drink more water.

There isn't a lot to this, but you MUST choose and act upon that choice in order to correct the path you are on. Until you do, nothing will change.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should probably consult an MD. Feeling full could be nothing, but it could be serious. I had a friend die from cervical cancer, and in retrospect her only symptom was that she was always full feeling. Not to freak you out, it is probably just a fluctuation in appetite, but couldn't hurt to talk to a doc :) Good luck!
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous! I set my calorie goal at 1300, and I could eat double that. Easy. I think I must have a rusty hole in the bottom of my stomach! haha!

I don't know- maybe try some higher calorie protein shakes? And mix them with milk instead of water? That would help up your calorie intake, but also up your protein intake, which is usually a good thing.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk. Weight gainer shakes (high cal, relatively un-filling). Gradually increasing portion sizes. More fruit. Fruit juice. Dark Chocolate. Cook with Olive Oil.

P.S. Lack of hunger is a symptom of a suppressed metabolism.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    at 5'8", 130 pounds is great!

You don't need to lose weight to lose inches.

Lift, baby, lift!
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How about you go to your doctor and ask for advice!
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

P.S. Lack of hunger is a symptom of a suppressed metabolism.

I didn't think about that- but that's true! I guess I should retract my previous statement- I'm NOT jealous haha! No offense.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Can you try something like the Atkins shakes as the beverage with your meal? They are only a few net carbs, about 150ish calories, and have a really good amount of protein and some vitamins in them. I was volunteering over the weekend, working 10-12 hour days with no time to eat really. it was fairly easy for me to grab one of those and drink it as I was running around--I know I drank one to wash down a quick snack at one point.

I do like another poster's idea of getting a full check-up from your doctor. Honestly, I am also concerned if your total intake has been under 1000 calories for more than a few days. I struggle with eating enough to keep my net calories around 1000, and I will sometimes eat just for the purpose of having a healthy amount of net calories for the day--tonight it was an ounce of melted brie scooped up with roughly 2 ounces of summer sausage.
  • daniblue13
    daniblue13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you really want to prevent yourself from going into starvation mode you're probably going to have to eat a bit of junk food. Everything is ok to eat as long as it's in moderation, when I first started using myfitnesspal I cut everything "unhealthy" out of my diet, then one day I ate some junk food and completely fell off the bandwagon. It's taken me this long to get back on, and now I eat whatever I want as long as I count it and I allow for it. Trust me, treat yourself and it'll help a lot. I've been eating 2 minute noodles and still losing weight (and cms) because I work it in to the rest of my day, and it prevents me from falling under my calorie limit. Also I'm fairly active so I get a bigger "margin for error," meaning my limit is somewhere around 1800 calories and starvation mode is around 1200 calories for me. But yeah, definitely eating a bit of junk food helps 1) control your temptations so you won't go all out if you eat something you think you shouldn't and 2) keeps your calories up even though you're not hungry.
  • gotchakatja
    gotchakatja Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for most of my life up until a few days ago. haha. It's really crazy. My body got used to eating 500 calories or less a day, just cause food would keep me full for so long that I wouldn't eat more until I got hungry again.

But I've been forcing myself to eat more (healthy, of course) and the past few days, I've been getting hungry every two or three hours and still losing weight.

You just have to get out of the habit and teach your body to react to food differently, speeding up its metabolism and such.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think that you should use real butter instead of whipped (that would probably double those calories) and add avocado to your lunchtime salad, use real oil in the dressing (olive oil or rice bran oil - something that fits in with your healthy eating philosophy). Basically try to up the calorie content of the meals that you are already eating.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Are you going to the bathroom regularly? This may be gross to some people but I had a friend IRL that was constipated and it got into her stomach. This resulted in her never feeling hungry.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    What about just choosing some of the higher calorie options? real butter instead of a reduced fat one, avocado with your sandwich, cheese is another higher calorie option but still something that is yummy to eat and not really on the "bad" list. A snack I really love an apple with real parmesean slices. Are you allergic to all nuts or just specific ones? Nuts have terrific fats in them and are calorie dense. Instead of eating so much early in the day switch it to noon or your evening meal. This might kick up your "hunger pang" and you can find a snack you like. A lot of people like hummus and there are load of recipes out there. Protein shakes are good. I like to make mine with almond milk (I know, nut based) but there is soy and coconut milk or just regular cow milk which is higher in calories.

Listen to your body and be sure you are weighing and tracking everything accurately. Good Luck!