Frustrated, I need help

Options
I have been living my new lifestyle for 7 weeks now, and have lost minimal pounds (7 to be exact). I have been eating my cals according to MFP. I exercise religiously, 5-6 days a week, 30 mins on the elliptical with 20 mins of strength training afterward. Last week I uped my elliptical time to 45 mins (interval training) as well as increased my incline and resistance as well as 20 min of strength training and I gained 5 pounds!! arrgh! I know I am gaining muscle and loosing inches (12" all over to be exact) but I still can not help but to be frustrated when I look at the scale. At what point will I start seeing numbers go down on the scale? I understand those numbers on the scale are not as important as inches but it still frustrates me! any advice/input would be appreciated!!

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Don't knock your progress! You've lost a pound a week and that's impressive to keep up for that long. Give yourself a pat on the back for having the power to stick with it even though you're not seeing what you want yet.

Some thoughts-
    My trainer recommends doing weight lifting first- then cardio.
    Have you tried HIIT workouts?
    Are you eating your exercise calories? Perhaps tweaking this might help.
    Try measuring your body fat percentage. It's a tangible measurement that won't conflict with the straingth training you're doing. Gives you the 'fun' of the scale- but without negating your work.

It's frustrating when we feel like we're doing everything right- but not going anywhere. Sounds like it's just time to tweak your plan. :flowerforyou:
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It was the same for me when I first started, and let me tell you, it really is frustrating. Are you drinking enough water? Make sure to drink tons of water. I know that the scale wasn't moving for the first month and a half, but I increased my water intake and stuck with what I was doing, and the pounds just started to shed.

But inches lost is awesome! At least you know its working! :wink:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    never, never, never give up
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    pay attention to what everyone has said so far
    take a look at what you are eating----is every calorie a nutritious calorie or do you have too many empty calories?
    do not give up:bigsmile:
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem! So I can sympathize. I have been living a new life style with following my MFP cals, eating correctly (and my exercise cals!) and exercising 4-5 times per week about 1.5 hours a session. I've seen little to no change in my weight or inches. I just keep telling myself not to give up, you're living healthier and that's what matters. So I will convey the same to you, Keep working, even if you're not seeing the results you want, you are living a healthier life! That's something to be proud of even through frustration. :smile:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    No one will gain 5 pounds of muscle in a week, check to make sure your cals and sodium are in check, sodium retains water!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem! So I can sympathize. I have been living a new life style with following my MFP cals, eating correctly (and my exercise cals!) and exercising 4-5 times per week about 1.5 hours a session. I've seen little to no change in my weight or inches. I just keep telling myself not to give up, you're living healthier and that's what matters. So I will convey the same to you, Keep working, even if you're not seeing the results you want, you are living a healthier life! That's something to be proud of even through frustration. :smile:

Sounds like you are in starvation mode. You may need to eat more. Read the link posted above this.