is it pointless to exercise abs if

Options

Replies

• BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Core exercises: Why you should strengthen your core muscles
    You know core exercises are good for you — but do you include core exercises in your fitness routine? Here's why you should.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-exercises/SM00071
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Core strength is essential to almost everything you do in the gym and in life. Want to get a great workout in spin class or on the treadmill? Your gonna need a strong core to get the results you want. So, incorporate core exercises (a variety of stabilization, rotation, and flexion exercises) as part of a general cardio/strength training regimen. Good core exercises: planks, side planks, mountain climbers, russian twists, reverse crunch, double leg lowers, slow roll-ups!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    is it pointless to exercise abs

directly? yes
    No, it's not.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hell no it's not pointless! Look at the difference in my belly in just 200 days - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/603903-nearing-my-200th-day-on-mfp That is 3 kids later too :-)

What did you do for that?!

To begin with, Hip Hop abs daily and zumba once a week, when I got bored I got the 30 day shred and mixed up those workout with HHA, then moved on to some Ripped in 30 workouts, and now moving on to Butt Bible. I still zumba once a week and also walk the dog daily and a 5k run once a week. If I get bored I just find random work outs free onloine as I don't have a gym membership and no equipment at home bar 1kg and 4kg weight :) I just make no excuses not to do it
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Tis never pointless to exercise, no matter the muscle! Work it out!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    No. Your core is the foundation for the rest of your body, just like a foundation holds up a house. A house can still be solid, even if the paint is peeling.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I like to workout my abs because I'm from the hood and with abs of steal, thugs don't get to shank ma fat *kitten*!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have a C section and then tell me how pointless it is to have a strong a core. You have no idea how hard your core muscles work on a daily basis.
  • Yazy_boo
    Yazy_boo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You DEF need to. Wats wrong with having a flatter belly!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Core strength is very important to overall health and well-being. Also as one post-er said earlier, by increasing muscle mass you are creating additional muscle mass to burn fat more efficiently. Also, as the body fat percentage is reduced, you begin to uncover formerly unseen muscles. So yeah, exercising all muscle groups has value.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Never pointless to get stronger around your middle. Abs are only one part of your core, but being stronger there will help support your back, making lifting easier, and, as you lose fat you'll see the nice abs underneath!

This!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Never pointless to get stronger around your middle. Abs are only one part of your core, but being stronger there will help support your back, making lifting easier, and, as you lose fat you'll see the nice abs underneath!

Yup. Strength you core, improve your balance. And personally? I am seeing improvements with my love handles and I am not even halfway...
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Unless you're an MMAer or you're a skydiver or some other sport that requires strong abs, working out abs is a waste of time that could be spent doing an exercise that'll actually grow some muscle.

So yes, ab exercises are 99% useless.

Doing more ab exercises won't "tone" your belly or make your pants fit better -- stop listening to Dr. Oz.

Six packs are made in the kitchen.
  • Smores18
    Smores18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get rid of your stomach you may need to try to work your transverse. Look it up you can find some wonderful exercises for it. One example of an exercise for it is a reverse crunch.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an MMAer or you're a skydiver or some other sport that requires strong abs, working out abs is a waste of time that could be spent doing an exercise that'll actually grow some muscle.

Doing more ab exercises won't "tone" your belly or make your pants fit better -- stop listening to Dr. Oz.

my abs beg to differ
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    YEs everyone (mostly) i agree with hahaahah. i am a strong believer in working opposite muscles. yes core is very important. LOL love how upset some of you are getting. even if i already say i know doing sit ups arent going to give me abs. which isnt at all what im going for . so thanks i will DEF be working my CORE for strength
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

my abs beg to differ

I bet your core work was more important than "ab" work. Abs are made in the kitchen, everyone has abs, you just have to have a lower body fat percentage to see them, and working them won't make them bigger or make your stomach flatter......sadly, I do not have that yet. LOL
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    "Yeah you gotta work out your core"

What the hell does this even mean? You are not a freakin' tree. You are a complex organism with a complex musculature system. Your "core" is no more important that any other muscle group. Your "core" will grow in proportion to your squats and deadlifts.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I think of it this way. When you do lose the body fat, just think of the awesome abs you'll have showing from building them up before. ;)
    I'm bulking so not expecting to see any abs anytime in the near future, but I still do weighted ab exercises once a week or so. Eventually I'm hoping to end this bulk and cut so even though I may not see the results this year, at least all my work will pay off later.
    I only work them once a week though since they get worked through other exercises like squats, etc.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Strong abs are part of core strength. They are important in almost all sports, help prevent back injuries, will keep your belly from sagging and keep you from getting as tired when you are on your feet for a long period of time. Other than that, they don't matter.