Will fruit make me gain weight?

Options
jess_1993
jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
Ive heard this before so im very confused on it
I love snacking on fruit so what is everyones opinion on this??

Replies

• Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Fruit is generally very low on calories. I eat quite a bit of it and have never had a problem.
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit as well, and it is what helps me stay below my calorie limit. I have no problems :D
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I've never heard someone say i gained all this weight by eating to many apples !!!!!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight if you eat over your TDEE. Incorporating fruit while eating at a caloric deficit is part of solid eating plan.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As long as you are pairing it with a healthy diet you should be fine :)
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Fruit has a high calorie count. So if you are going over your calories with fruit by a lot then it would be possible to gain weight. However it is healthy for your and gives good nutrition to your diet. It's healthier then some other snacks, like the ones that are processed, and they don't really need anything to be added to them.

So in my opinion, if you are eating fruit in moderation and making sure you are in your calorie allowance then no fruit will not make you gain weight. (this is only an opinion)
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    As long as it is not ALL you eat, you will be fine. Fruit is a little high in sugars, which is why people on "diets" tend to avoid it, but it also has a lot of nutrients that you need and doesn't "cost" a lot of calories! I frequently throw in sliced apples as a side to a meal or a banana-yogurt smoothie to fill me up fast!
  • nicca83
    nicca83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but as long as you are sticking within your calorie and carb totals fruit is good. I think as long as that is not the only thing you are eating and you arent going overboard there are worse things that you could be snacking on.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Fruit can be high in sugars and calories, but also has tons of vitamins and fiber. Enjoy fruit, it is good for you as long as it fits into your calories allowance.
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Options
    Yeah if you eat 3200 calories of it everyday, but it is good in portions
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    how much fruit? like 30-40 lbs. a day?
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered Strawberries, Candy Apples, and Caramel Apples are good for you.....

Check the macros on them
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i think most people either 1. are eating too much causing them to go over calories (it doesnt matter if its fruit or candy if you go over your eating at a surplus) or 2. are refering to the sugar content. for me i only eat about 1/4cup of either blueberries or strawberries a DAY for fruit because i am training for a figure comp. and need to watch my sugar intake.... for those looking to just lose weight though it is not a problem as long as you are within your calories
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Not unless you go over your maintenance calories.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Log it and stay within your calorie goals and you should be fine.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    if you eat over 2000 calories worth of fruit maybe... depending on your maintenance
  • Caiii
    Caiii Posts: 27
    Options
    Fruit has a high calorie count. So if you are going over your calories with fruit by a lot then it would be possible to gain weight. However it is healthy for your and gives good nutrition to your diet. It's healthier then some other snacks, like the ones that are processed, and they don't really need anything to be added to them.

So in my opinion, if you are eating fruit in moderation and making sure you are in your calorie allowance then no fruit will not make you gain weight. (this is only an opinion)

Fruit does NOT have a high calorie count. An average apple is 80 calories. 8 large strawberries is 40 calories. A grapefruit has around 70 calories.
    Enjoy fruit; it's fiber and water fill you up for not many calories at all. Whoever said it would make you gain weight is crazy.
    Best of luck!
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Fruit should definitely have a place in your daily diet. However, I do eat my fruit during the day hours so I have plenty of time to burn off the natural sugars most fruit have.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    depends how much fruit you're eating in comparison to everything else. a few apples or bananas or whatever a day are good for you. eating the entire bag or bunch in one sitting, not so good... it can spike your blood sugar and reek havoc on the rest of your days food intake.

i eat between 3 and 6 servings of fruit a day and i'm just fine.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Any food with make you gain weight if you eat too much of it.
    As long as you are eating a balanced selection of food and staying within your calorie allowance, the fruit component is certainly not going to magically make you fat.
    Fruit is a great snack, although it contains sugar, you are also getting lots of goodies like fibre, viatmins, minerals and lots of other good stuff. Keep eating it, but remember that balance and moderation is a good idea, even for stuff like fruit that is good for you.

(And don't get confused by people saying "fruit is low in calories", "fruit is high in calories", it's not that simple. Some fruit like strawberries are very low in cals, others like bananas are higher - but still generally much lower than cakes and cookies and chips and burgers)