Preparing for a Marathon

Options
My goal is to run a marathon...any great tips for training?

Replies

• Deezba
    Deezba Posts: 12
    Options
    My goal is to run a marathon...any great tips for training?
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    start running?.....lol...sorry, that's my attempt at a joke:wink:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I know here in Hartfrod they have training groups. My friend made it into the Boston Marathon. She was in the top 30% in the Hartford marathon which qualified her. Anyway look into your local area for running groups/training.

And goodluck...:happy:

dd

ALSO RUUNERS WORLD IS GREAT!!!!!
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    What a great goal!!

my brother in law ran the Boston Marathon every year for 5 years... He runs everyday for 2-3 hours. I'm sure he has a certain diet too when it gets close to that time. He lives in Papua New Guinee so the food there is minimal.
    I would say take your time and build your self up gradually... too much exercise too fast can be bad for you.:flowerforyou:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I personally ran 3 using www.halhigdon.com. You can print out his novice plan for free. As a note - if you're starting from zero fitness then it will take you several months of running 3-4 days a week to build up to the point where you can BEGIN the novice training program (I can't recall specifically but I think you should be running 15 mi/week before starting the program to minimize the chance of injury). Hal offers tips for beginners on his site, too, so by all means check it out right away.

I recommend beginning with a run/walk program to get you to the point where you can run a few miles comfortably. Jeff Galloway has some great information on running/walking (this is what I've been doing since November and am just now getting back into constant running). It's a slow process but you will see rewards if you stick to it!

Keep us posted on your plans/progress. Completing your first (I say "first" because they're like potato chips - you can't run just one) is such an amazing accomplishment and you will be on cloud nine. It's a lot of work to get up to cloud nine, but it's worth it!

:flowerforyou:

And PS--as a side note, I personally burn 3000+ calories during a marathon. Do you REALIZE how much food that means you can eat? Woo hoo!
  • alaskagal
    Options

And PS--as a side note, I personally burn 3000+ calories during a marathon. Do you REALIZE how much food that means you can eat? Woo hoo!

To funny! Some days it's all about the food, huh? :laugh: