Crock Pot recommendations

Options
princeza9
princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
I'll soon be moving into my own place, and want to get a crock pot. I'll be living alone, so a smaller crock pot would be great. I don't mind making extras that can freeze since I do like to make meals ahead. I've never bought a crock pot before, and the one my parents had was older than me. :laugh:

Any recommendations as far as brand? What should I look for in a good crock pot? Any other crock pot related suggestions/advice/tips??

Thank you!

Replies

• princeza9
    Options
    Anyone?
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Splurge and get a large, programmable model. I did not get a programmable one and really regret it!
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    I would look for one that has a timing feature on it, one of my biggest issues is that I work a long distance from home and if I put something on to cook in the morning before I leave, by the time I get home it would be cooked to death lol. If you get one with a programable timer on it you can program it to turn on and off at certain times. I also know that my particular crock pot cooks VERY hot, even on the Warm setting.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just went to Target and bought one with Warm/Low/High. I needed one with Warm. I use the Warm setting for making overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal. Water, mixed fruit, oatmeal and warm then off to bed. In the morning I have some nice warm oatmeal.

For recipes, I live off this site, seriously. I even print them out and tell my kids here is the weekly menu, pick your dinners...lol...

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/main-dish/slow-cooker/
  • dfranks43
    dfranks43 Posts: 18
    Options
    Make sure it is in 2 pieces for easier cleaning!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Splurge and get a large, programmable model. I did not get a programmable one and really regret it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with this. I LOVE my crockpot & use it a couple of times a week. I work long days away from home and wish I had a programable one.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    We have three of them and will probably be buying the one that has 3 seperate 1 quart cookers for "those times" you might need it. Point being, you can usually get a decent one for pretty cheap, just depends on how much food you want to cook at once.
  • notnormallyacaloriecounter
    Options
    For recipes you can go to www.allrecipes.com they have a whole section for crock pot/slow cookers. also, i would get a bigger one to, then it doesn't limit what you can make.
  • princeza9
    Options
    Thanks for the help! :)