Any females who can do a pull up(s)

Options
2»

Replies

• aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ahhh, i never tried to do one while i was in super awesome shape about 6 months ago! i was just proud i could do a bunch of normal (non lady style) pushups! haha. Maybe i'll make that a goal after I have this baby. :)

But yeah, i've never done a pull up in my life either. I was always that kid in gym class dangling from the bar frantically kicking my legs until they just told me to get down.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I did my first one a few weeks ago. I did assisted pull ups and lat pulldowns to get there. Assisted pullups were intermittent because my gym machine only goes up by 15 and that's too much for me
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My fiance INSISTED that I should try one. To my astonishment, I'm able to do about 5. I'd say strength training is the biggest factor in being able to do it, well.. for me at least.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Holmfridur_Gestsdottir Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started exercising almost 3 years ago and since I started seeing progress, I decided I'd want to do pullups. I can't do them today, I sure am closer to it than before but sometimes I feel this is never going to happen. I will turn 39 on June 7th and a year ago I decided I wanted to be able to complete an unassisted pullup before turning 40 but I am not so sure I will. Wow talking about being pessimistic! :) Congrats to you that have done it, great job! I think I am going to do a LOT of rowing this summer.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I can do one at a time. It took about 3 months of assisted pull ups to get there.

One of my long term fitness goals is to be able to do 5 in a row.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Try this!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

Negatives are an important and sometimes overlooked aspect of training.

This guy rocks.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm up to 20 unassisted pull ups. P90X and P90X2! It's taken me over 2 years and I couldn't do one when I started.

This is a seriously impressive stat. Good stuff!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    One of my 2012 goals, with NROL4W, is to complete 1 x 3 of pull-ups and (hopefully) 1 x 5 of chin-ups. Stage 6 is the special stage geared towards this particular goal, and I start Stage 6 of NROL4W in the first week of June! So, I am *very* excited about this because I'm gonna NAIL THIS.
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    Alrighty
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    YES!

I had NEVER done one until february. I have a video of me struggling to do one in january.

This is what I did. I got one of those bars that you put in your doorway. I put it low enough that I could jump up to it and hang. I'd do the hanging thing like multiple times daily (I put it in my kitchen door and every time i passed I would do one). Then I started lowering my face just below the bar and back up. I'd do like 3 everytime I walked past. When that worked out, i raised the bar and would try to drop myself lower. Littel baby steps!

Then I would just try to do a full chin up. Just keep trying. Keep pulling. and keep doing the mini pull ups too, just to keep your strength you have built.

I think it was around the time that I started lifting weights that the chin up started to happen. Now I can do full pull ups too! It's fab. Just keep trying. Don't give up!

Note: I think losing 50 lbs helped too. I started when I was 174 lbs, and now I do full chin ups at 125 lbs. BIG difference there!

I agree by just losing 20lbs I have been able to do a flex arm hang so much easier. Just another source of motivation!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I can do 10. :)

P90X helped me a lot. Start by doing assisted pullups and work your way up.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OMG! You are all my heroines!! I don't even dare try yet, but I'm starting NROL4W next week and I hope I'll be doing 'em sooner than later!!