Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss causing low blood pressure

2»

Replies

• 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    CONGRATS!
    Yes please talk to your doctor. I have always had borderline low blood pressure (so thankful for my mom). A few years ago I lost 80 pounds and began fainting. I went to my doctor who sent me to a cardiologist and neurologist. It was realized that I had lost so much weight that my heart wasn't used to it yet, and so it would drop suddenly (especially if I was going to sitting to standing). My body's way of dealing with the low blood pressure, was to faint. So please talk to your doctor!

Congrats again!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    This happened with me last summer. I was on a high blood pressure medication, and when I worked out--especially when I worked with a personal trainer who had me getting up and down, bending over a lot, I started to experience a great deal of dizziness. I'd take my blood pressure later in the evening (when it always seems to be lower than in the morning anyway), and I'd find it reading something like 91/37!

When I discussed it with my doctor, he told me to cut my dosage in half by splitting the pill (I was already on the lowest dosage of that medication.) That helped a little, but within a couple of months, more weight loss led to more dizziness. So this time my doctor had me stop taking the medication but continue monitoring my BP. I'm happy to say that my blood pressure remains good and I haven't been on medication since October.

So yes, definitely talk to your doctor. You're probably ready for a lower dosage or a change in medication.
  • nanfarb
    nanfarb Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone for answering me back!!! It's great to have you all to hear real life experiences. I did call my Dr. yesterday and he lowered my dosage and changed meds so hopefully this will do the trick. I hope to get off of the BP med completely after losing some more weight. Thanks again!!! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!