go back or just go?

Options
Ok, so this year I was a senior in high school, but I got very sick and was put in the hospital about halfway through the year, and when I was well enough to return to school, the school said I was not aloud to return. I have been flirting with the idea of returning next year to get the honors diploma, or just graduating this summer and getting a generic high school diploma.

Here are the pros and cons I have weighted out myself: If I accept the diploma, I graduate on target, where I should be for my age group so I don't feel like a loser. but then I would feel like a bigger loser because I would receive a diploma in the mail, no real graduation, it hardly seems like an accomplishment. :indifferent:

If I go back, I become a "super senior" something I swore I would never do, and graduate at 19. I would get my honors diploma (I only need to complete one class to get the honors diploma, so I would only have to go to school for an hour if I wanted), but I would be older than everyone around me. Not to mention I would have to redo my senior project (3,000+ hours down the drain!!! :sad: )
I have already been "guaranteed" a spot at Ball State and their ROTC program as long as I get a high school diploma, but the college I want to go to is Purdue, but they won't accept that diploma type even though I took and scored highly on the SATs twice. which would mean going to IUPUC for a year then transferring in.

what are your opinions? I feel like I lose either way, and was seriously screwed over by the system, so I can't make the correct decision for myself because I get angry at the school corporation for what they did:grumble:

Replies

• Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    If you really want to go to Purdue, then you know what you have to do.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Screw Purdue, come down to IU! You know you wanna. IU > Purdue :tongue:
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you really want to go to Purdue, then you know what you have to do.

If it is your goal to go to Purdue, then get there the most expeditious way possible. I'm sorry the high school is not allowing you to graduate with your class. But focus on where you want to go, and get there. Instead of focusing on what they school did (unless you can appeal the decision to at least walk graduation with your class) put your energy into going out and getting your best life.
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    ^^^it's not that easy. I said I wanted to go to Purdue, yes, but I also said I could transfer in from IUPUC, or get the honors diploma. so both options are open again. I feel like pounding my head into a wall because I really DON'T know what is the right thing to do. I guess in a way that makes me a child....
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    That is a very tough decision. I am so sorry to hear you were so ill. I hope all is better now.
    Were you given an opportunity at all while you were out sick to get a tutor, or any way to try and stay up?

Have you talked to your parents, the school guidance counselors, and the counselors at Purdue, Ball State, and IUPUC?

Depending on what you want to study, and what field you are interested in, you need to realize that if you stay in high school and redo your senior year you should consider taking a full load, or at least taking SOME college classes along with that high school requirement. A future employer might look at a senior year with only one class, and even though you are an honor student think you didn't have the 'drive'. ROTC is a great program. Would you take ROTC at Purdue also?

If you were looking at going into the military after college, you might consider talking with a recruiter as well.

Only you can weigh how much a specific college means to you, vs. a good education from a good college. If Purdue is THAT important to you, is it something you can look at for post grad work? How uncommon is it, or uncomfortable would you be taking another year of high school? (These are things only you can determine. You do need to keep in the back of your mind that in the long run, these things won't matter a lot to careers and future employers. That being said, personal goals and dreams are very important. So, kind of... no wrong answer.)

There are lots of options and ways for you to look at this.

Good Luck!!!
  • torylinnangel
    Options

And be around Riley? Bleh!!!! how is IU's ROTC?
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options

Hoosiers!

Purdue is good too but I'll never admit to having said that.
    Anyways... The honors diploma might help you get into college but it won't do much for you after that.
  • torylinnangel
    Options
    That is a very tough decision. I am so sorry to hear you were so ill. I hope all is better now.
    Were you given an opportunity at all while you were out sick to get a tutor, or any way to try and stay up?

Have you talked to your parents, the school guidance counselors, and the counselors at Purdue, Ball State, and IUPUC?

Depending on what you want to study, and what field you are interested in, you need to realize that if you stay in high school and redo your senior year you should consider taking a full load, or at least taking SOME college classes along with that high school requirement. A future employer might look at a senior year with only one class, and even though you are an honor student think you didn't have the 'drive'. ROTC is a great program. Would you take ROTC at Purdue also?

If you were looking at going into the military after college, you might consider talking with a recruiter as well.

Only you can weigh how much a specific college means to you, vs. a good education from a good college. If Purdue is THAT important to you, is it something you can look at for post grad work? How uncommon is it, or uncomfortable would you be taking another year of high school? (These are things only you can determine. You do need to keep in the back of your mind that in the long run, these things won't matter a lot to careers and future employers. That being said, personal goals and dreams are very important. So, kind of... no wrong answer.)

There are lots of options and ways for you to look at this.

Good Luck!!!
    I was not offered a tutor, nor would my dad have paid for one
    I talked to my dad (my mother is out of the picture) he was no help, he has literally no opinion what so ever, and I have tried working with the high school, they want me in a juvenile detention center (for what?!) It's not like I had any choice of being in or out of the hospital!). I'm pretty much floundering on my own

as for the class load, I wasn't kidding, there is only one class I need, I took and passed all the other college courses offered at my high school
    yes, I would be doing ROTC Purdue
    And for being comfortable returning-I would have to transfer to the other high school in my town because if I got near any of the teachers who left me for the sharks, i know I wouldn't be able to control my anger. all my friends have graduated as well, I never mingled with the younger students, so I would have zippo friends. but I would have the better teacher for the class I need, and I could always make new friends...but I would also be very ashamed of myself if I had to go back.

It means a lot to me to go to Purdue. My dad graduated from The Ohio State University, but after that, no one else has made it to college. My brother did, but he dropped out within a year. Purdue has the minors I want to study in, as well as an OK pre-med program.
  • torylinnangel
    Options
    oh yeah, I am healthy now too! whoot for that!
  • torylinnangel
    Options

Hoosiers!

Anyways... The honors diploma might help you get into college but it won't do much for you after that.
    I have heard good and bad things about IU....But it was my first choice of schools for a while, until I realized I love construction work and engineering,
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Hoosiers!

I have heard good and bad things about IU....But it was my first choice of schools for a while, until I realized I love construction work and engineering,

:cry:
  • torylinnangel
    Options

Hoosiers!

:cry:

why the cry face?? IU is ok too!
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Any way you could appeal the decision they made to not allow you to return to school? If so, have some sort of idea of your course of action. (knowing what you need exactly, to graduate, and how you'd get there from where you are now, within their programs/perimeters)
    If you can't appeal the decision, get the ones who said no, to actively help you. Set up a meeting with them, or individually if needed. Ask them what you asked us. Help them help you. Make them help you. They should be helping you get your feet in there, not closing the door.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Get to Purdue, any way you can. Or don't. What makes you mature is that you make the choice and live with the consequences. And all the paths are good, just some are better than others, but they're all good.

Make a list of pros and cons and weigh the evidence in front of you. Then go with your gut.

You'll do great!