How can I prevent side stiches?

Options
Whenever I jog/run, I am getting side stitches. I have heard eating an hour before can help or not drinking too much water before. Is there anything you guys have found that can help me out? They hurt :( I need some expert opinions!! :happy:

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Ok I just realized I misspelled stitches and I'm hating that I can't change it...
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    Sorry, not eating at least an hour or 2 before is the only thing that works for me. and I am closer to 2hrs.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Good info here:

http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/readings/sidest.html

I get them all the time too. :explode:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Breathing techniques. I went to a clinic put on by marathon runners and they said that if you can develop a breathing pattern for yourself it will help. If I have them I consciously breathe 1 deep breath in and 2 small out and they go away. I also find that if I don't go to the bathroom right before going out, I get them.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you are well hydrated. Most cramps are caused by dehydration. Obviously don't chug a gallon of water then run immediately but drink at least two glasses in the 20 minutes or so before you go out. The breath advice is really great. I always have a pattern. I match my breathing with my steps. It also takes your mind off of what your doing and becomes almost meditative which is nice. Normally I breathe one breath for every four steps and let it out for four steps. The harder I get going the less steps/breath if that makes sense :wink: If you get one, I would slow down breathe deeply and stretch that side out. For me that helps to stop it.