Barefoot Running?

Options
2»

Replies

• jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I started running in them. My knees were giving me a lot of issues when I ran or walked longer distances. When I wear the barefoot shoes, I can hardly detect any pain in the knees. So for me, they have been a blessing, and I'm running a longer distance than I have in years.
  • kristenlees122
    Options
    my boyfriend used to be a hardcore runner. loved it. he bought five fingers and ran in them for maybe two months. he hurt his ankle so bad that he hasnt run since november 2010. he's been in a boot, he wears orthopedics, goes to physical therapy.. it just will not heal.

me, i bought 'track' shoes, which were super thin, supposed to be close enough to barefoot running. i found my ankles started hurting really badly in them, and now i wear brooks something or other. i have found as long as i dont land on my heels, my ankles dont hurt. i concentrate on landing on the top/middle of my foot, and i am injury free.

everyone is different of course, and there are loads of people who run barefoot or in five fingers. im sure there are plenty of pros and cons, but if you are going to do it, just take it slow and listen to your body.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I went from running in regular sneakers to a pair of Reebok Realflex, they are a barefoot/minimalist, but "modern" running shoe (they don't have those ugly toes) lol. I haven't had any pain running any distance in these, I absolutely love them. I would recommend them to anyone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've always had knee problems, attributed to running in the wrong shoes in my 20s. I bought some Brooks regular running shoes (got fitted) and did some light running in them. Had a little knee pain after each run. A few months ago I bought the Brooks minimalist shoes (pure connect) with the intention of using them to walk to work. On a lark, I tried running in them. WOW. I've never looked back. My body loves them.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    we have a race in Maine that is barefoot!

http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/maine/barefoot

we also have a society.
    http://www.barefootrunners.org/build2/chapters-28

but to be honest- I don't do it it freaks me out!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm only halfway through C25K and am really interested in barefoot running s I hear it is lower impact and so better for my problem knees and back. i wonder if i should start now or wait until i finish the programme.

It is definitely lower impact. Your body will naturally adapt a very efficient low impact gait without shoes. It is like having a built in running coach.

I didn't start until after C to 5K, however in hindsight I wish would have, I developed some bad form habits early on that took some time to fix.

Couple things to know though; unless you have been running barefoot a while you will be both faster in shoes and able to run further in shoes, which cna be significant when doing a C to 5K program. Most people's foot and calf muscles are atrophied from a lifetime of wearing shoes; there is an adjustment period. Most also are not used to the form so it is best to proceed slow at first.

Doing 1 of your C to 5K sessions a week barefoot though would have huge positive benefits on your running form, just go slow. If you are further in the program you can do a recovery run barefoot, on an off day take your shoes off and go ridulously slow, also keep well below your max distance, keep it so you can breathe out of your nose (once past C to 5K this sort of run will flip, you'll be able to go forever this way). I say recovery run because this sort of run tends to make sore mucles better while being a run that you will rapidly recover from.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I can already run 2k at a decent speed without feeling like I'm going to drop dead and I'm managing to build it up all the time. How is the Couch to 5k different to what I'm doing? Is it still recommended?

Because just adding mileage is not the best way to improve your running fitness. C25K is basically interval training, set periods of running with walking sections. Interval training is a great way of building cardio fitness. I do a weekly long run as well, adding mileage to the goal but i also do a fast run and an interval session. You need to mix it up!

Thanks, this is really interesting. I've just done a quick google and there seem to be loads of different ones. Are there any in particular you'd recommend?
  • drezha
    drezha Posts: 18
    Options
    I started running in minimalist shoes so I managed to build up the running alongside my actually running - one of the things people do with switching to barefoot running or minimal shoes is to do to much to soon. I had a few issues but changing how I run sorted that (initially I was landing to far forward on my foot and not putting my heel down and so was hurting my calf as well as my foot) - now I can easily run 10 Km in them no problems. I live in a student area so whilst I'd love to run barefoot, they leave broken glass bottles and the like everywhere so don't fancy barefoot yet.

I use Inov8 barefoot road running shoes as I only run on roads. If you want some decent advice on Barefoot Running, check out

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/

His book - http://www.tbfrb.com/ is also incredibly helpful.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ^ thanks! I think i'll probably be a natural barefoot runner. I used to run barefoot all the time as a child and teen, I was super fast, I stubbornly refused shoes most of the time and cannot bear wearing them indoors. Perhaps I'll try on my run tomorrow and see how it goes. I think it should be OK in my local park on the concretey bits, if the surface isn't too hot! Would be good to try it before I invest in costly footwear.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow so much information, thanks everyone!

It seems to be fairly individual as to whether they work or not. I'll check out those links when I get home and will definitely go into the running shop when it's open again.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i used this program which is a music based program, you run and walk to a podcast on your mp3 player, has different programs depending on your distance:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Free and highly recommended!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. Just yesterday I heard a interview with a fitness columnist (who is also an avid runner). On the topic of barefoot running she had mixed recommendations. She looked at a lot of the research and found that while barefoot running decreased the incidence of some injuries, it lead to an increase in other injuries (especially calf and Achilles tendon). She personally injured her calf (repeatedly), so she gave it up favor of a lite, less padded running shoe. She recommended that if you want to try barefoot running, start with a VERY low distance and increase that distance slowly. She did not recommend it for long distances.

So, although some runners can handle it successfully, I'd say be very conservative. It's easier to avoid an injury than to have to recover from one.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Just to add a few things from experience (lessons learned)....I have the merrell barefoot shoes and love them...EXCEPT a few things.
    (1) you have to start REALLY slowly...meaning only run 1 mile or so for a few weeks when you get them, then SLOWLY increase. I am not the most patient person, but I tried to do this...granted I run longer distances, so I would have to go out with the shoes for 1 mile, then put on my regular shoes. I think this really hurt the process for me to get used to my shoes
    (2) so, then I got injured - my calf/shin...and it has taken a long time for me to get back into running because of it....so you need to following #1 to a tee.
    (3) Generally, barefoot shoes or not, you need to follow the 10% rule with increasing mileage....look it up, but basically don't increase mileage by more than 10% a week - either time or distance.

I have two pairs of Vibrams and I absolutley LOVE them. But yes, you MUST start slowly. You calves need to adjust and yes, they will hurt. It takes a lot of patience (which I do NOT have a lot of, lol) but it'll be worth it!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I can already run 2k at a decent speed without feeling like I'm going to drop dead and I'm managing to build it up all the time. How is the Couch to 5k different to what I'm doing? Is it still recommended?

Lots of people do the c25k, and like it. I prefer to run-some, walk-some by myself. It's just jogging. People have been doing it forever. If your happy with your running, aside from the sore ankle, then continue to do your own thing. If you want guidence and direction, try the c25k.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    One point about barefoot running is that there are two TOTALLY different ways of approaching it.

Some people go all in when they do it and do all of their running that way. These tend to be the barefoot zealots, and also the type that hurt themselves when doing it. (low drop minimalist shoes though are not grouped here)

Others use it as a self coaching tool and only do it for a relatively small % of their miles. While there is a lot of disagreement regarding whether it is good or not to log all your miles barefoot, there is no disagreement on this point; a small amount of regular barefoot running is extremely good for your running form as long as you approach it with care and take it slow and easy. There is almsot no argument on this point.

I've read a bunch of stuff debunking the injury rash thing though. Partially the rise is because of the rise in barefoot running. Also the oversealous crowd, who tend to injure themselves at a higher rate than the norm (who also tend to visit doctors at a higher rate than the norm), is right now all about barefoot running.

Either way I wouldn't worry too much about hurting yourself. It it hurts, stop. I personally run softer without shoes, harder (and faster) with shoes.
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    Just be careful! I was jogging in Vibram 5-fingers for a few months and then one day I was goofing around and sprinting (on a sidewalk...oops) and I got a stress fracture in my foot. My doctor said that lots of people overstride in them and it causes impact on the bones.
    I am debating switching to regular shoes. but I love the Vibrams...so I don't know. BEWARE OF IMPACT :tongue:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I started running in minimalist shoes so I managed to build up the running alongside my actually running - one of the things people do with switching to barefoot running or minimal shoes is to do to much to soon. I had a few issues but changing how I run sorted that (initially I was landing to far forward on my foot and not putting my heel down and so was hurting my calf as well as my foot) - now I can easily run 10 Km in them no problems. I live in a student area so whilst I'd love to run barefoot, they leave broken glass bottles and the like everywhere so don't fancy barefoot yet.

I use Inov8 barefoot road running shoes as I only run on roads. If you want some decent advice on Barefoot Running, check out

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/

His book - http://www.tbfrb.com/ is also incredibly helpful.

^^^ THIS!

I've got the Vibrams and INOV8 minimalist trail shoes, and I also run in traditional shoes.

I think most people who get injured are doing so from going out and trying to run like they would in traditional running shoes. Your muscles, bones, and tendons aren't ready for that. You can't take a body part that has essentially been in a crutch it's entire existence, and expect it to immediately perform under it's own weight. It takes time.... a lot of time to strengthen the lower leg for the abuse of running.

Have you ever visited a village or tribe that went barefoot their entire lives? They've got the most impressively strong feet of anyone I've ever seen. Just shows you the difference a life in shoes makes.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've just purchased a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and after some research have decided I won't use them for running long distance, but train for up to 10km in them. I'm about to start the Couch 2 5km and I'm interested to see the results in my running style from wearing Five Fingers. I figure I can always go back to shoes if I don't like them after a few weeks as I have quite a natural running style anyway. I'm also keen to use them for trekking (as well as boots, I think it will be good to mix it up and stretch your feet every few kms).
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I've just purchased a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and after some research have decided I won't use them for running long distance, but train for up to 10km in them. I'm about to start the Couch 2 5km and I'm interested to see the results in my running style from wearing Five Fingers. I figure I can always go back to shoes if I don't like them after a few weeks as I have quite a natural running style anyway. I'm also keen to use them for trekking (as well as boots, I think it will be good to mix it up and stretch your feet every few kms).

I hope you give your Vibrams a fair chance! Three weeks to decide if you like them seems a little short -- considering the adjustment period. Your calves will definitely be sore! ...I hope you're patient with them and learn to love them! I have two pairs and I highly recommend them!

Best of luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill about 3 weeks ago and I love it (still too scared to run outside at the moment though). After I've been running I always notice that for a few days after my ankles really hurt. I spoke about it to my housemate who does a lot of running and he strongly recommends barefoot running (in those funny shoes; not actually barefoot).

I've done a bit of research on it and have found many pros, but also lots of cons. Before I invest in these new shoes I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. Does anyone have any experience of this? Will it stop the pain in my ankles?

Thank you!

I've been running in Vibrams for over 3 years now. I switched after I was sidelined with a broken right leg and ankle for 6 weeks. The transition on the treadmill took about 2 months. I suffered from intermittent shin splints and ankle pain before the switch. Those have disappeared since the switch. I do a lot of trails and have completed half marathons with the Vibrams. I hope they do the same for your ankle pain. Good luck!