Do I need to chop off a leg?

Options
To see progress? Or actual weight loss? I keep seeing everyone losing anything from 0.5 pounds a week to much more. I would be happy with 0.5 pounds. I'm lucky if I lose that in a month and for the past 6 weeks I have been at the same weight...
I'm doing my best to exercise, eat healthy... so why is the weight not coming off?

I can see that my calves and arms are looking slimmer and firmer - like they used to be before my 2 pregnancies in 2 years, but my tummy and my face and my weight... Grr.... :-(

Replies

• Stallion_Duck007
    Options
    Your tummy is going to stay with you until the bitter end! He's the last boss in every video game!!

As for your face and weight - be sure to drink TONS of water; and keep at it.
    Weight isn't shouldn't be that much of an issue - I would rather weigh 389 lbs and look like Kim Kardashian, because muscle weighs more than fat!
    And are you doing the same exact exercises? If you do, what happens is that your muscles actually get USED to the work out, and you plateau and stop loosing weight. Try changing up your work outs for muscle confusion!

I'm having the same problems with my tummy & face! :(( I hate my double chin and every single dimple in my face. I want to look like I came from a Tim Burton movie! (Maybe a little bit healthier, and less dead lol!)

hope this helped!
    good luck!

*and please don't chop off your legs!* xoxoxo!
  • Sunlight2011
    Sunlight2011 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Nooooo!!! Don't do it. Just stick to what you know works. Much less extreme. Good luck.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I would say to continue exercising, eat more (I had a look at your diary and you are definitely not eating enough eat at least your BMR or you can eat at maintenance for a little while and then drop the calories again), change things up and be patient. It looks like you don't have much to go and it does get harder in the end. I am at the same point lately and fight for every single kilo I lose. What I am doing is stepping away from the scale, and letting my body be my guide. This is for life, after all. Keep pushing your body through exercise. I recently started running and am feeling my body reshaping itself. Even though I still have fat on my body, I do believe I am in the best shape of my life based on how much I have been exercising. Patience is the name of the game. Weigh yourself once a month and step away from the scale. Hang in there. Quitting isn't an option so you just have to keep going. You obviously are seeing results in your calves and arms and you have only been at it since March. Take time and weight off the table and do this for a fitter, healthier, stronger you for now and for the future. :)
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing everyone losing anything from 0.5 pounds a week to much more. I would be happy with 0.5 pounds. I'm lucky if I lose that in a month and for the past 6 weeks I

Hmmm... I see the contrary: people complaining that they lose weight way too slow. I think everyone feels like they're not losing fast enough and that once they lost the weight, it comes back way too easily and too quickly. So no, you are not alone in this effort and no, you are not doing worst than everyone else!

The bright site is that you ARE losing weight. Other people out there are gaining, because they don't exercise, they don't eat right. Our body is more complex than we know and it sometimes adapts itself to times of crisis - saving on its deposits or lowering the metabolism, cos it senses a danger (what if you really had very little to eat?) So be patient, give it time and stick to your new habits.

Also, your body needs time to readjust after the two pregnancies. Give it that time. Your kids need a healthy mother, not a gaunt one. Keep the balance and it will pay off :wink:.

:flowerforyou:
  • Scott_Parkinson
    Scott_Parkinson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    LOL....not the best idea. I have been stuck at the same weight for the last 4 weeks as well. While it's a little frustrating, I feel like I have more energy and a more positive outlook on things. To quote Yogi Bera, "50% of this is 90% mental." If you are feeling better and have more energy, forget the scale. You know what you're doing is good for you, so keep it up. The scale will eventually catch up, but for the time being.......forget about it completely!
  • Stallion_Duck007
    Options
    If you are feeling better and have more energy, forget the scale. You know what you're doing is good for you, so keep it up. The scale will eventually catch up, but for the time being.......forget about it completely!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! <3
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the positive and friendly replies. :-)

I am trying to vary my exercise and am also slowly building it up (as I hadn't done anything since 2010.. - 1st pregnancy).

Maybe I am concentrating too much on getting it exactly right (so far that isn't working for me... control freak at work here...), I think like you say I should just go with the fact that I'm feeling better, I have my calves back (boy did I miss them) and I know that I am healthier. I will still pay attention to what I eat, but not make stop it feeling like a mission and also stay away from the scale for abit!

:-)

PS I think I will keep my legs...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'd go with eating less, but whatever floats your boat
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Your not eating very much if your diary is correct,so try eating more it has worked for a lot of people here.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You only have about 7kgs to lose, but you have your weight loss goal set to 2lbs per week? You need to change that to at most 1lb per week and make sure you eat most of your exercise calories.

You aren't eating nearly enough.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You only have about 7kgs to lose, but you have your weight loss goal set to 2lbs per week? You need to change that to at most 1lb per week and make sure you eat most of your exercise calories.

You aren't eating nearly enough.

I agree. You are barely eating 1200 calories (and some days not even that much). Only people with a lot of weight to lose can get away with setting MFP for a 2 lb/week loss. Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up for failure. Set MFP for a 1 lb/week loss at the most, though ideally with so little weight to lose, you should have it set at a 0.5 lb/week loss. After you are eating the proper calories, you'll probably start seeing losses. You will likely need to give your body a week or two to adjust to eating the proper amount before you start seeing losses.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You could be losing inches. Have you been tracking your measurements?
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your eating way to little! sub 1200 calorie intake?! and your not logging your exersize so you could be way lower than that! below 1200 and your body goes into starvation mode... it can reduce your metabolism to a point where it only needs about 500-600kcal to survive!, which is a bad place to be in! (organs appear much more appealing than your food!)
  • sweetpea7441
    Options
    Hi. I do log my exercise - maybe its not showing up for you (sgarrard01)? Most days I do eat my 1200 calories, but I think often am about max 100 less. I wouldn't think this is a large amount below?

When I exercise I find it hard to eat back the 300 calories - without eating something like a sandwich for e.g. The only way I came close to todays amount of calories was because I ate 3 slices of bread (and cheese and salami) for lunch.

I will change my goals to 0.5lb per week (I think thats about 0.2kg which I don't think is alot). I am most def not trying to starve myself or anything, snacking I find hard to do as I'm always running around and generally don't feel like it and right now Holland is having a heat wave which is also making me eat less or go more for things like salads, which just don't really have calories.

1200 cal a day is what MFP told me. Do you think I should eat more? How do I do that without increasing my carbs? A part of losing weight seems to be staying away from carbs and increasing protein.

Thanks again for your replies.
  • sweetpea7441
    Options
    Oh my word!! I just changed my goals from losing 1 pound a week to 0.5 pound a week and its increased my calories from 1250 to 1490!!!!

How on earth do I eat all that? As in, sure I can, but it will mean carbs! I'm pretty sure I easily ate that before when I was not tracking my calorie intake, but that was with a good dose of chips, chocolate peanuts and some wine... All the time I see posts about people who can't lose weight and being advised to lower carbs and increase protein. I'm abit confused now. So now for today I'm going to be way under my expected calorie intake...

I have also seen other posts about increasing calorie intake to lose weight as if you are eating too few calories you won't lose weight, but ouch, thats alot extra for me to try and figure out what I can eat healthily. Any tips please?

Knwitall - I haven't been taking my measurements but I can say that my panties fit better! :-)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of healthy ways to get in extra calories. I eat 1700+/day and my diary is open, feel free to look. Though I do eat carbs, it sounds like you are low carb. Also, think calorie dense healthy foods:

Cook proteins in healthy oils (none of that cooking spray nonsense or a little dribble of oil)

Snack on nuts. My daily snack is almonds (30 g = 170 calories)

Other high calorie foods are nut butters (1 tablespoon of peanut butter is 100 calories), avocados, full fat dairy products, etc.