for the runners out there

Options
I'm looking into the cost of running shoes before I actually go to the store. I want to be able to buy them on the spot after all the testing is done and such. Just wondering if anyone could tell me how much they spent on theirs. I know shoes are the most important thing in running but I also don't want to pay 100 for a pair if shoes..

Replies

• DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Bad news: You will likely pay $100-$150 for quality running shoes that are fitted properly.

Good news: You'll be less prone to injury and spend less time and money with the orthopedic surgeon. Also, they will soon become the most comfortable pair of shoes in your arsenal, even after you quit using them for running.
  • mdpiper
    mdpiper Posts: 3
    Options
    Check out www.runnersworld.com. They have a shoe review and fit guide based on your profile.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A good set of shoes are $150+. Don't try and be cheap on them- it'll cost you far more in the long run if you don't spend that little bit extra.
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    Yes, spending the money is worth it. I go to a store that video tapes you running on a treadmill so they can see how your feet land, to see what type of support,etc. is needed. I also only use my running shoes for running, or the elliptical, not for errands & such. Best of luck!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My current shoes are $90. I've paid as high as $110. There are brands/styles that run upwards of $150. They are not cheap, but if you are going to run.... the investment is worth it!!! Do NOT skimp on the shoes - even for casual running.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Mine were 125 in the store - I did a quick scan of the bar code (Google Goggles) and found them on amazon on sale for 52.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WSLABE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
    (now up to 59)

I asked the guy if they price match - and showed him right there the price. He said no, but wanted the URL b/c it was cheaper than he can get them at w/ his store discount!

(Yes I opted for the neon orange ones, and love them!)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Then I suggest getting fitted at a running store then going home and ordering on line from Road Runner Sports etc. Some good running stores will do the analysis free only if you end up buying shoes..no shoes they charge you $30 or something but an initial fitting to determine your needs is a really important step. I suppose you could ask about the model that meets your needs but is being phased out. But most importantly...most running stores I have been in are owned and operated by people who just love running and want to see people run. Tell them first thing that you are on a strict budget and cannot spend more than a certain range. They will tell you if it is worth your time to be there.

Every pair of shoes I have bought in the last 5 years have ranged between 90-115 dollars .
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I run in Brooks and they always run me $90-$125. Yes, it is expensive, but SO worth it. If you want to run, you need to get good shoes.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    $100+ here for mine, and do not regret the cost one bit. It's what's saved my feet, ankles, knees, and hips.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have a tough time shelling out the ridiculous prices for shoes. Especially when you can get awesome deals with a little searching & patience. I have paid close to $100 on a pair of shoes before, but I try not to go much above $80 these days, and usually with a little effort, I can find the shoes I like for $50-60.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks Adrenaline shoes. I pay anywhere from $75-100 for them. Sometimes they are last year's model, but that doesn't matter to me. I get them through Zappos usually, which has free shipping and they usually upgrade me to overnight shipping.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Oh! One way to get cheaper shoes is to buy last year's model. When they make a new version of their shoes the stores usually discount the old to get rid of them. So you might be able to get a deal.

Also - I would NOT recommend going to a running store and getting fitted then buying cheaper online. Please, please support your local store. If you utilize their services at least have the courtesy to make the initial purchase from them. If you love the shoes then buy your next pair online. But, don't screw over the mom & pop stores. Generally these stores are great resources for runners in a community. We want them to stay in business!! My .02
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my Saucony Running shoes and have paid anywhere between $90-$130 for them. Higher end shoes have more/better padding. Be sure to get shoes that are based on how your foot strikes the ground!!! To find this out look at the bottom of your current shoes or go to any local reputable running store... not a Footlocker or anything like that! Small local stores are generally the best and will take the time to find the best shoe for you. I strike on the outside of my foot and heel so I need a neutral running shoe. If you strike on the inside you need a shoe for pronation. Cost isn't necessarily the issue it's how the shoe makes your foot more stable and thus allows you to run longer and be INJURY FREE!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    A pair of fitted good quality running shoes are worth every penny. What you pay will be based on the type of shoe it is (stability vs. neutral) and bells and whistles and of course marketing.

I will pay anywhere from 70-120 based on what my shoe fitter tells me I need. An extra few bucks is worth it if I don't end up hurt
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I don't think you're going to get out of anything less than $100...unless it's on a discontinued pair or you have a good coupon (or both).

I will say that if you really want to be a runner, that $100 is the best money you'll spend. Good shoes make all the difference in the world.

LOVE my Brooks Ghosts 4...for neutral step.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been a big fan of some relatively expensive New Balance shoes for a while. That said, my next pair will likely be a cheaper pair that I want to try as an experiment. I've been reading more and more how expensive shoes really don't prevent injury any better than cheaper pairs. In fact, by keeping the foot from moving naturally, expensive shoes may be causing more problems than they are solving.

I'm not saying go barefoot. I'm not even saying that I won't give up quickly and go back to my New Balances. I'm just saying be careful not to get sold on the idea that expensive shoes are necessarily better. Find a pair that feels comfortable and then get out on the road/trail/track. Have fun.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I have been "fitted" and lets just say the person who did it was just trying to get rid of shoes...It was the owner of the Local running shoe store... I left there all happy and with new shoes, believing what he told me that the shoes were right even if they felt way too big, and that this is the way it was supposed to be ... I ran in them a few times, hated them, they hurt my feet, called the store, he told me to give them 3 more weeks, so I did, and took them back cus the hurt sooo bad, gave me blister.... and you know what he told me???? It was past 30 days so no returns!!!! He was the one who told me to wait... So I was out 150 dollars....and I no longer trust sales people at all. I now fit myself and LOVE my shoes. I get five fingers and also the fila skeletoes voltage the later is only 30-40 at Finish Line shoe store! They rock!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My Vibram Bikila LS barefoot shoes were $95. Well worth the investment, I have over 400 miles on them! Good luck!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Oh! One way to get cheaper shoes is to buy last year's model. When they make a new version of their shoes the stores usually discount the old to get rid of them. So you might be able to get a deal.

Also - I would NOT recommend going to a running store and getting fitted then buying cheaper online. Please, please support your local store. If you utilize their services at least have the courtesy to make the initial purchase from them. If you love the shoes then buy your next pair online. But, don't screw over the mom & pop stores. Generally these stores are great resources for runners in a community. We want them to stay in business!! My .02

You are right...I suggested getting fitted and then looking online. I also suggested to just be upfront with the people in the store and I bet they will work with you. I totally agree with you and we love our local store. My running store buddy has actually given me cost saving tips when money was tight so the best advice I really can give is to let the people in the store know what challenges you face running wise and cost wise and I bet they will help you figure out a way to run... good store will get a runner running and understand that good service will keep them in business longer than selling one more pair of expensive shoes. Thanks for the reminder though to support those local stores. They are the heart of the running community.