Frozen Dinners?

Options
I feel like the easiest way to have lunch and/or dinner is to pop a frozen dinner in the microwave, but I'm wondering how healthy this really is. I always stick to the frozen meals that are less than 500 calories, but it seems like the fat, carbs, and sodium is usually really high. Any thoughts on this??

Replies

• kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel like the easiest way to have lunch and/or dinner is to pop a frozen dinner in the microwave, but I'm wondering how healthy this really is. I always stick to the frozen meals that are less than 500 calories, but it seems like the fat, carbs, and sodium is usually really high. Any thoughts on this??
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the Weight Watchers or Healthy Choice frozen dinners.
    I never gave it a 2nd thought b/c they should be healthy for you.

Which ones are you having?
  • kayla_larsen
    kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the Marie Callender's frozen dinners because they're so good. I like the lean cuisines, too, but they seem a little small, so I usually do that for lunch. What things do you do for lunch/dinner?
  • amthomps521
    Options
    I do a lot of the Lean Cuisines, I think they are pretty healthy as well as tasty. I do agree, especially for dinner they are on the small side. I always have intentions of pairing them with a nice tossed salad and low fat dressing, but then I'm not much of a salad person(I wish I was). When it gets a little cooler out I think I'm going to pair them with a nice lower cal soup. That's one idea anyway.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Options
    lamm,

It has been a while since I've had a frozen dinner.
    I usually eat seafood or chicken. I'm kinda hooked on it.
    But when I want something light on my stomach, I have a bowl of cereal or soup.
    I'm hooked on Raisin Bran or the Kelloggs cereal that has yogurt bites.
    Special K Red berries is very good also.
  • EHBRown28
    EHBRown28 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Pre Diet days, I was horrified to learn that the Marie Calendar chicken pot pi had about 40 (YES, FORTY) grams of fat and TONS and TONS of calories. Her recipes are not figure friendly!
  • ilene
    Options
    I think the new Spa Lean Cuisines are great. I especially like the squash ravioli with the extra veggies.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners tend to be high in sodium and preservatives. I used to eat Lean Cruisine, etc. everyday - but have switched to Amy's Organic frozen dinners...I can't eat the other stuff anymore! I also try to make sure all of my food (frozen or not) has fewer additives (so I don't drink diet soda, etc. very often.) This has helped to "re-train" my taste buds.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The weight watcher meals seem to be a little more filling than lean cuisine, but south beach diet lunch wrap kits are great for lunches! They are all 250 calories or less, I have one almost every day!
  • liz89118
    liz89118 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals are quick and easy. But I feel if I eat them too often I don't get full enough and I over eat. I try to only eat frozen meals in case of emergencies....I rather eat chicken breast and a side of veggies for dinner and lunch a sandwich or wrap. Plus I think we need to get back to eating "real" food cutting back on over processed packaged meals. It's not always easy but with some planning..... do-able.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Options
    Aren't the South Beach Diet meals very high in sodium?
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A good luch idea is a salad wrap with some hummus. It's filling and yummy. Pretty easy to throw together as well. I chop up some salad (lettuce, tomato, cukes, scallions and avacado) to last me a few days so I can just scoop out a hand full and plop in right into my wrap :)
  • eonblue
    Options
    oops sorry - we are talking frozen dinners. im a newbie, forgive me. :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    agreeing with the "real foods" comment above, I like to make a huge batch of soup and freeze it in single serve containers. That way, it easily thaws and heats in the microwave, and you know exactly what you're eating. If you have a crock pot, this is super low-maintenance after the chopping veggie prep.
  • eonblue
    Options
    Making a big batch of anything and freezing individual servings is always a great idea. Lowfat chili is a great idea and yes, anything in a crock pot.
  • izzyrut
    Options
    I have Healthy choice frozen meals for dinner some nights, they are tasty, and they fill me up, low calories (between 210 and 300) which is great, they dont have high carbs or fat.
  • Abby
    Abby Posts: 13
    Options
    I've heard frozen meals are ok in moderation. They are high in salt and if you aren't buying the ones that are low in fat & calories then it can stop your weight loss.

I don't like them enough to eat them.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am not sure whether south beach diet meals are high in sodium or not, never paid much attention
  • cwalbrj
    Options
    I like them a few times a week for lunch. I use them if I'm really craving something, like pepperoni pizza, I'll have the WW or HC version - satisfies but doesn' kill my calories. And their easy to take along to work..
  • san_dalis
    Options
    i used to eat lean cuisines a lot because like you said, it's just easy to know how many calories you're intaking... but then i was always feeling too bloated because of the high sodium intake that they have in them. i eat them once in awhile, like when i'm in a rush or i'm the only one eating... however, i would prefer to just eat fish, vegetables and a baked potato, and it's lower calories than a lean cuisine.

=o)