Eating Less, Exercising More -Still Gaining Weight...

Options
I just started my fitness campaign 3 weeks ago. I'm eating less and exercising more but still gaining weight. Is this common?

:sad:

Replies

• mpf1118
    mpf1118 Posts: 28
    Options
    You are gaining weight for the very reason of cortisol. It is released into your body when it thinks that it is being starved. You actually have to eat far more than you think to actually lose weight. And you have to be eating the right kind of foods also.

Here's some food for thought......Do you know how Sumo Wrestlers actually gain more weight....they obvisouly eat a whole lot of food, but they also reach a platau of not being able to gain further weight. To gain more weight - they actually withhold breakfast from their diets and that causes the release of cortisol into the system to make their bodies hold onto the fat, therefore gaining more weight.

You need to eat to lose....
  • julieye
    julieye Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you, I didn't realize the role of cortisol.

My daily calorie goal is 1300. I am 600 under right now...is this really "starving" myself or are you telling me I need to go eat a piece of cheese?

:huh:
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    Also be careful of how exercise calories are calculated on the site. Example, jogging for 50 minutes comes up as 800 calories when for me using a heart rate monitor it is only 438 calories. That's a big difference.
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Also be careful of how exercise calories are calculated on the site. Example, jogging for 50 minutes comes up as 800 calories when for me using a heart rate monitor it is only 438 calories. That's a big difference.

For sure! I just got a HR monitor and was surprised how off I was. I was entering spinning and it was saying like 600 calories, however I have been wearing it to class and it's really about 400! That's a big difference. And to answer above, eat some cheese girl! :laugh: You HAVE to use all of your calories. Found that out the hard way. Three weeks of working out hard core and not eating my calories made me GAIN weight. So I starting eating all of my calories (some days I have less than 100 left) and I lost a pound. There is truth to it! :noway:
  • julieye
    julieye Posts: 6
    Options
    ok, on my way to the fridge...feels strange but I trust that this will work.

:drinker: