I wonder if there's anyone like me!

Options
I have a wonderful group of friends on here who are very supportive. I love them very much. The problem I have is that I don't exercise. I've lost 39 pounds and now weigh 309. I have bursitis in my hips which makes it very difficult to walk. I actually got bursitis from exercising too hard on my poor fat body. At the time I had lost 80 pounds and after being put on medications for it and having to stop made me so depressed that I basically gave up. I started binge eating again and have just recently gotten some control over that. I gained back 55 pounds. I seriously am a mess. I see how hard everyone works out and right now I just can't do that. I am hoping that by losing some more weight I will eventually get to the point where I can start exercising. I guess what I'm asking for is to hear from others who struggle with exercise too and are trying to do this by diet alone. I mean I totally feel guilty when I read how hard everybody works out and the calories they burn and I think I need to be like that too. It's really frustrating to me that I feel this way. I never see posts where 300 pound people are saying "I just can't do it!" Surely you're out there somewhere. Am I the only one?

Replies

• Cinbeth
    Cinbeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi...while I may not struggle with your exact problem I really wanted to right back to you. First off give yourself some credit, you are here on this board and trying to push ahead that says something. I have heard many success stories of people losing weight with diet alone. And even some that said once they started losing it made it just a little easier to walk or do light workouts. I myself in the past have lost with just diet alone but this time around I seem to be struggling. Just this morning I wanted to sit on the floor and cry because I seem to diet and workout and it doesnt seem to make a different but the truth is it does matter. And while I may not see results today I know I will. I know every day I don't sit on the floor and cry or I chose to not eat those yummy delicious cookies in the office kitchen it's helping. Please don't be hard on yourself, it sounds like you have hit some rough times be nice to you and now move forward. If dieting is all you can do I say go with it! I bet you will be pleasantly surprised and how good you start to feel. And remember the first step is asking for help...go you! Hang in there. And no you are definitely not the only one struggling, you are not alone at all. I hope this helped in anyway even just to know you are not alone. Be brave, stay strong, and diet on :)
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Watch this video...if HE can do it, anyone can. Its very inspiring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ive heard of people starting with peddlers and working out sitting down using it for upper & lower body.
    Also, 30 day shred is a great video to get you going...watch it first & listen to what JM says.

Im in the industrial med industry & have seen that when people ha e chronic pain, illness or injury, by doing no exercise, the body does get worst. Hope my suggestions help. Good luck & dont give up!
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lost over 60lbs doing WW a few years ago, and didn't exercise (sadly I gained it all back).....Do you have any hand weights? You could do some arm work sitting down, and you could get one of the peddlers to do too. You def can loose weight just by eating correctly and logging, it might take longer, but maybe if you just focus on that first you will be able to exercise once you drop some weight?
  • jackibailey
    jackibailey Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi...while I may not struggle with your exact problem I really wanted to right back to you. First off give yourself some credit, you are here on this board and trying to push ahead that says something. I have heard many success stories of people losing weight with diet alone. And even some that said once they started losing it made it just a little easier to walk or do light workouts. I myself in the past have lost with just diet alone but this time around I seem to be struggling. Just this morning I wanted to sit on the floor and cry because I seem to diet and workout and it doesnt seem to make a different but the truth is it does matter. And while I may not see results today I know I will. I know every day I don't sit on the floor and cry or I chose to not eat those yummy delicious cookies in the office kitchen it's helping. Please don't be hard on yourself, it sounds like you have hit some rough times be nice to you and now move forward. If dieting is all you can do I say go with it! I bet you will be pleasantly surprised and how good you start to feel. And remember the first step is asking for help...go you! Hang in there. And no you are definitely not the only one struggling, you are not alone at all. I hope this helped in anyway even just to know you are not alone. Be brave, stay strong, and diet on :)

Thank you so much! It all really is a struggle for everybody in their own way isn't it? If it wasn't, we wouldn't be here. I'm sorry you're having such a hard day too. You sound like a very strong person and what you said was very smart. Thank you so much for responding. You "diet on" too! :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    While my story is not similar, my father in law's is! He was knocking on the door of 300 pounds, had bad arthritic knees, was out of breath, etc. He couldn't exercise but he was determined to lose the weight. Through diet alone, he shed 50 pounds, which was enough where he could breathe easier, his knees felt better, and his whole body felt better. At that point he was able to start taking short walks (think 1/4 mile, I mean SHORT) every morning. He is still in the process of losing but slowly but surely he has been able to increase his walking distance.

Focus on your diet first and foremost. As the weight comes off, I am sure you will start feeling a lot better, your joints will have less weight on them, you'll move easier, etc. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I only had 30 pounds to lose and didn't start exercising in earnest until about 6 months in! Even now, I don't rack up these big burns I see others doing. I mainly walk for exercise and it's good enough for me!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Also, if you can handle one more inspirational video, this one got me off of my butt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU
  • jackibailey
    Options
    I lost over 60lbs doing WW a few years ago, and didn't exercise (sadly I gained it all back).....Do you have any hand weights? You could do some arm work sitting down, and you could get one of the peddlers to do too. You def can loose weight just by eating correctly and logging, it might take longer, but maybe if you just focus on that first you will be able to exercise once you drop some weight?

I do have some 2 pound hand weights I could use. What is a peddler and where do I find one. Sounds interesting. Yeah it's rough working so hard to lose just to gain it back and start all over again. It can be disheartening. Good luck to you. Take care.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try water aerobics. It is supposed to be very gentle on the joints and very effective! Just hang in there. The more you lose the easier it will be to get moving and the better you will feel!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I second this...the doctor I work with actually suggests that people lose some of the weight before starting any intense exercise. Cardio etc may help you lose weight faster but he says you can actually do more harm to your body because of all the strain the added weight puts on your joints. If you are still losing by modifying your diet, keep it up! If you start to plateau, I would try to start walking more even though it hurts and possibly consider some steroid injections for the bursitis. Hope this helps! (Btw, I weigh 201 and tried 30 day shred, I couldn't even do the "modified version." I do, however enjoy going on bike rides and walks with my kids, as well as Zumba. Find what works for you :)
  • jackibailey
    Options

I second this...the doctor I work with actually suggests that people lose some of the weight before starting any intense exercise.
    Cardio etc may help you lose weight faster but he says you can actually do more harm to your body because of all the strain the added weight puts on your joints. If you are still losing by modifying your diet, keep it up! If you start to plateau, I would try to start walking more even though it hurts and possibly consider some steroid injections for the bursitis. Hope this helps! (Btw, I weigh
    201 and tried 30 day shred, I couldn't even do the "modified version." I do, however enjoy going on bike rides and walks with my
    kids, as well as Zumba. Find what works for you :)

Thanks! This makes me feel so much better, especially that a doctor said this. Oh and steroid injections. I know they would help, but I am so afraid of those shots. Have had them in my foot and knee before. So painful. But it may come to that anyway. :(