Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Jujitsu would be better...

575096_10151010330745864_595555863_12238301_1192905553_n.jpg

awesome.
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you posted this. My husband has been talking about getting our oldest daughter (4) into Karate.....I'm more of putting her in dance but she really wants to do the Karate. As a parent it scares me BUT it does teach them discipline and also it helps if something would happen to them from the hands of someone else. My nephew is in it and finally got the black belt and he started young. I say go for it!!! First any physical activity we can put our children in the better. Start them young and we won't have the problems we have today :-)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I taught TKD for many years. Frankly, at 2 yrs old, you're paying for daycare.

As an instructor, I found it took a pretty focused child to benefit from instruction before the age of 8 or so. I'm sure many people will now be able to point out the exceptions to the rule, but I found most children to be disruptive to the class if they were much younger than 8.

Of course it sounds to me that this class is focused on toddlers, but, personally, I think you would be wasting your money.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My son started when he was 3.5 and is now 5. He loves it and is even having a ninja party for his 5th birthday next week. It has given him good focus and confidence, since he has to perform individually in front of class to earn each new belt. they even did a stranger danger section which i thought was great.

My daughter is 3.5 and the same instructors think she is too young to start. I think she has more focus than her brother did but we will wait until she is 4.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    signed my little guy up for "tiny tigers" it has done to much for his self esteem...they teach respect for yourself and others, honesty and integrity.. I'm all for it. He loves it so much and is so good at it he is now graduating into the juniors program..
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    i started Karate when I was 3 and my brother was 4. . by the time I turned 4, we had a piano :indifferent:
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I taught TKD for many years. Frankly, at 2 yrs old, you're paying for daycare.

As an instructor, I found it took a pretty focused child to benefit from instruction before the age of 8 or so. I'm sure many people will now be able to point out the exceptions to the rule, but I found most children to be disruptive to the class if they were much younger than 8.

Of course it sounds to me that this class is focused on toddlers, but, personally, I think you would be wasting your money.

I disagree 110% percent..."tiny tigers" where I live starts at 4 years old...it incorporates Taekwondo with fun games..lots of running and jumping..I have sat through dozens and dozens of classes just watching and the Masters and instructors some how effortlessly get unbelievable respect and focus from these children....AND they make it fun! One of the best programs I have ever signed my child up for.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Getting your kid enrolled in ANY sort of activity is a good plan in my book. Two sounds young to me as well, but I don't think it will hurt if you can afford it. If she decides she wants to continue when she gets older, then she's had the advantage of being in the setting for longer than other kids.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am a 2nd degree black belt in Taekwondo. It has been a few years since I have been but I used to teach the kids and the tiny tigers. They would start them as early as 3. I loved teaching them but I wasn't always pleased with how those classes were run. It also depends on the behavior of the child as to weather it would be a good match at that age. My son started in the program but not until he was 5 and did go on to earn his blackbelt. I am sure they must have a week or 2 trial, so check it out and see how you like it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have done Shotokaan (Martial arts) and do boxing now. For both pretty much the minimum age to start is at 7 and the folks at both academies agree on it. If you want them to be active before that, just do small games with them like asking them to punch your hand or do some kicks and build his interest in it.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started judo at about 5. My instructor was a Royal Marines Commando. You just didn't muck about, well not more than once! That aspect has a lot to do with the sensei and the parents reinforcing the sensei.

We started my son in karate at about 4. Before that he did tumble tots. At those ages it is about activity that builds coordination and strength, but not strength as we talk about it. I disagree with TheRoadHog that it will be a waste of money, you are not paying for daycare, you are paying for structured activities that have a defined objective. However I agree that your son will not be benefiting from the martial arts instruction until they are older.

Classes are well controlled and self-discipline and respect are enforced/encouraged from early years. Kids will be kids and will play and be disruptive, but I see very little of that as the children get on and gradings are dependent upon behaviour. There are a number of children aged 4-5 onwards whose behaviour is a credit to them, their parents and the dojo.

Go along to the dojo, see if how they run a class suits what you want to get from it.

As a consequence of my son taking this up, my eldest daughter and my wife have started on the ladies classes. All of them are developing the techniques, skills and confidence to handle confrontational situations. I would not recommend any alternative but depending upon the cost you might find other activities are cheaper and still have the same beneficial impact for the next couple of years.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think there may be a point between the "tiny dragons/tigers" stage and 8+ years old. Little kids definately can benefit from TKD. Beginner classes for toddlers are customized to appeal (fun games, lot of running & jumping), while establishing structure and exposing them to basic moves. However, you may find that kids as they get older (around 2-3rd grade) are't as focused as they need to be to benefit from a more serious training class. These transitioning kids still want the play time of running around, 'clowning' around and can be a handful for the teacher -- although others may be better at focusing and mastering the moves.

Ultimately, I think kids want to have fun. And if you can teach them in a way that appeals to their sense of fun, then good.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If you are getting out of it what you want to get out of it, then, by all means, go for it. Iwasn't putting it down, or disagreeing with anyone.

We just come from different backgrounds and are studying martial arts for different purposes. I have been studying, competing and teaching for 38 years. When I started my studies in Japan, it was a whole different culture. It was all about discpline and tradition.

Now, unless you find a very old school instructor, it is a homogenous daycare center. That sounds like I am putting it down, but I am not. As Americans, we strive to make everybody equal in all that we do. If my Japanese Master tried to teach in America, he would have been arrested for abuse.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Some great points. Right now its ultimately not about the martial arts aspect, but the structure, building the foundation, and listening skills. They are such sponges right now, seems they are always picking up something from what they are doing at the time.

I think tumble-tots sounds something very well similar to this program here. I've not fully looked into the program offered here yet as she is not two, just was in an information package that we received when I did some introductory swimming with her and was curious for thoghts =)

Still need to look into company and costs associated.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    If you are getting out of it what you want to get out of it, then, by all means, go for it. Iwasn't putting it down, or disagreeing with anyone.

We just come from different backgrounds and are studying martial arts for different purposes. I have been studying, competing and teaching for 38 years. When I started my studies in Japan, it was a whole different culture. It was all about discpline and tradition.

Now, unless you find a very old school instructor, it is a homogenous daycare center. That sounds like I am putting it down, but I am not. As Americans, we strive to make everybody equal in all that we do. If my Japanese Master tried to teach in America, he would have been arrested for abuse.

You've made some great points. And day care does come to mind for alot of the programs that go on. For 'some' parents its about dropping the child off and having someone else deal with them for the 1-2 hours so they can do whatever it is they need to do, than the actual sport/activity.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I completely agree. I had a chuckle reading your arrested comment because I know its true. I studied in Asia and we don't mess around.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options

You've made some great points. And day care does come to mind for alot of the programs that go on. For 'some' parents its about dropping the child off and having someone else deal with them for the 1-2 hours so they can do whatever it is they need to do, than the actual sport/activity.

And 'those' parents are missing out! It's the best when you participate...I kind of want to flip the instructor! :laugh: