Recipe Calculator???

jbunzsno
jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been using Sparkpeople.com's recipe calculator to see how many calories are in some of my homemade favorites...but everything seems to have alot of calories??? I am just wondering if that is a reliable source? and if any of you use anything else?

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Many years ago when I went to nursing school (about the time of the dinosaurs) I learned that every gram of carbohydrate and every gram of protein has 4 calories, and every gram of fat has 9. That might give you a rough idea.

At HealthLink BC, we also have a phone-in dietitian service. This is their recipe analyzer: http://www.dietitians.ca/public/content/eat_well_live_well/english/recipeanalyzer/recipeanalyzer.asp

I've never tried it so I don't know how easy it is, but it's developed by Registered Dietitians so it will be accurate.
  • yolie1220
    yolie1220 Posts: 223 Member
    I had to do this last night when I made chili. I guess I did it the old fashioned way. I wrote down the calories, fat, etc.. of all the foods I put into the chili then divided the numbers by how many servings there were. You have to remember to add all the calories of all the servings in the containers though. For example:

One pound hamburger- 170 calories per serving x 4 servings into the dish = 680
    Can of beans- 105 calories per serving x 3 servings = 315
    Can of tomatoes- 25 calories per serving x 3.5 servings = 87.5
    Seasoning packet- 30 calories per serving x 4 servings = 120

The whole pot was 1202.5 calories / 4 servings = 300 calories per serving.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I have used spark people & found it accurate. You can also try nutritiondata.com, or calorie-count.com to see if they are comparable.
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks everyone...I will have to try some of the other sites...and maybe counting it on my own and get an average or something....who knows my recipes could just have a lot of calories in them! and I never knew it, thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.