can't figure out my figure out my calories to lose weight

Options
MFP is saying my BMR is 1,275...is that what I should be consuming to lose weight?

Replies

• SuzanneKBar
    SuzanneKBar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you need to go to the settings at the top of the page. click on it and fill out your fitness diet profile and that will tell you
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What does MFP say you should eat to lose weight?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    you need to eat whatever they give you after you choose whether you want to lose 1/2 lb, 1 lb, or 2 lbs per week.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    MFP actually tends to recommend a number that is too low, in part because people always set a 2 pound per week goal when that may not be feasible.

Many folks here, myself included, use the BMR calculator at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ If you set your calorie goal to the whatever number they give your for a sedentary lifestyle, then eat back most of your exercise calories you should have success.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I actually think that MFP recommends numbers that are too low as well. Granted, I'm 114lbs and would like to be back down to 108...but it says that I should only have 1200 cal/day. I always eat back my exercise calories, but still, I'm only netting 1200/day. I've decided to up mine to my BMR, as well as eat back my exercise calories and see how that goes. That way I will net my BMR. Today will be my first day doing that, so we'll see how it goes...I just don't think I was eating enough before because I've been stuck at a 2lb weight loss for quite some time.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    ALSO, I've been feeling super weak- I'm no expert, but that's probably a good sign I'm not eating enough. Thanks, MFP....haha
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Try the fat2fit site!!
    And don't eat BELOW your BMR!!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    LOL - when I look up mine at, i need 1837 (sedentary) or 2105 (light). MFP has me at 1710 a day. Of course the site I looked up mine (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/) also said my weight loss goal was too much and to set a higher 1st goal.

My biggest thing is trying to eat back the calories - yesterday I was 600 +/- under after everything was said & done. I have gotten to the point that eatting enough to eat the cals back is too much food and I feel sickly full eating even close. Today isn't supposed to be a "gym" day, but it has me at 700+/- left for the day and I don't even know what I'm cooking for dinner yet, so I may hit the gym so to put a buffer back in. Blarg...

OMG - i just updated my weight in MFP and it's dropped me to 1600 cals! WTHeck?
  • drea4784
    drea4784 Posts: 7
    Options
    its telling me to eat 1772 (lightly active) calories a day!!! HOLY WOW...i can't even eat 1200 a day!! this doesn't seem right : (

I am currently working out at least 3 days a week.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I actually think that MFP recommends numbers that are too low as well. Granted, I'm 114lbs and would like to be back down to 108...but it says that I should only have 1200 cal/day. I always eat back my exercise calories, but still, I'm only netting 1200/day. I've decided to up mine to my BMR, as well as eat back my exercise calories and see how that goes. That way I will net my BMR. Today will be my first day doing that, so we'll see how it goes...I just don't think I was eating enough before because I've been stuck at a 2lb weight loss for quite some time.

Why don't you just do some strength training to improve your body composition instead of trying to "lose weight"?