Running with a baby stroller?

Options
I have attempted to begin running before, I've tried the Couch to 5K plan several times and I never make it past a couple weeks. I truly do not like exercise, lol. It hurts and it's not fun but I know that it's a necessary evil and I hope to learn to love it. I have a 7 month old baby so he has to come with me when I exercise now! We have a regular 4-wheel stroller and I'm just wondering if you think it is really imperative that I get a jogging stroller? I plan to run in my neighborhood or hopefully at the high school track. When I have ran with the stroller it is hard to keep your hands on the stroller and run without feeling like you're going to fall over. Do you have any thoughts or encouragement? Thank you!

Replies

• Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    IMO it is much easier to run with a jogging stroller. I have a 2 yo and she loves riding in it! I did run with a regular stroller for a while until I got the jogging stroller. It's not impossible but the jogging stroller makes it easier. Just find what works for you and stick with it. You can do it! Good luck!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I say jogging stroller. You can usually find them cheap if you Check garage sales, Craig's list and thrift stores.
  • andrewsmommy13
    andrewsmommy13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have tried with a regular stroller and it just didn't work. I kept hitting the bar in the back (on the bottom) With a jogger, the wheels are bigger, more sturdy.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I tried running with a regular double stroller. I found that it was very difficult. I would suggest the couch to 5k program and run in place or in the back yard for the first three weeks of the program then go back to week one and try with the stroller again. I am on week two and run in place in the house or in the backyard. My plan is to try week one again after I complete week three and see if it is possible.
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I tried only once to run with the regular double stroller and the wheels went crazy. My double jogging stroller is much easier, but much harder than running without any stroller at all! :) I can run 6 miles without anything and 3 with the double jogging stroller. Although, I would think the single would be easier?! My 4 year old weighs almost 50 and my 3 year old weights 30, plus the 20 or so of the stroller. So, I'm pushing around 100 lbs...not easy!

I would suggest to JUST GET OUT AND DO IT! If you put your mind to it, you can do it! Good luck!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For mother's day I got a Baby Trend jogger stroller. Target had it for $94. My 3yr old loves it. The ride is better for both of us.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Get the jogging stroller. It makes life so much easier.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I saw two different couples running with those three wheeled strollers. I am assuming that is a jogging stroller. They sure looked like they were rolling along pretty easily.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a jogger.

I do have another question tho....if you don't like running, why do it? There are a gazillion exercises out there that can be done with a 7 mo old around. I'm just asking because I did that to myself 2 years ago....I finished the C25K (it was a bucket list item for me, because I was never a runner), hated every minute of it and STILL don't run today. Soon after I finished it, I discovered kickboxing DVDs and strength training and that's what made me fall in love with exercise - to the point I look forward to it every day. I have 2 kids who are playing in the room while I work out. Please don't torture yourself if you don't have to - try out a few videos on YouTube (there are a lot of free ones) and see if those might be a better fit! You burn more calories with HiiT workouts than C25K anyway. :)
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    I personally would recommend a jogging stroller. We bought a BOB double after I had my 2nd baby last year. (My children are 2.5 yrs and 1yr)
    When the weather is nice I use it around 2x day. Sometimes I use it to jog, but its also great for long walks. It is so much easier to push than a regular stroller, and its comfortable for my children to ride in as well.