Why whey?

Options
I am new to the site and re-starting the healthy life style process. In reading smoothie recipes I see whey powder included in many -- what is that and why would I care? Thanks!

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Whey has lots of protein in it, which is good for you. Just so you know from the off mfp settings for protein are quite low. There a lots of other ways to get protein into your diet, but this really helps! X
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It's a great source of added protein, especially if you subscribe to a 40/30/30 ratio (which I do).
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am new to the site and re-starting the healthy life style process. In reading smoothie recipes I see whey powder included in many -- what is that and why would I care? Thanks!

Whey is derived from cow's milk so be careful if you have lactose issues (like me). They also sell soy based protein powders (GNC, Target, etc). Adding protein is good for your new healthy lifestyle because it makes you feel full longer and aids in the repair of muscles, especially after strength training.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options

Whey is derived from cow's milk so be careful if you have lactose issues (like me). They also sell soy based protein powders (GNC, Target, etc). Adding protein is good for your new healthy lifestyle because it makes you feel full longer and aids in the repair of muscles, especially after strength training.

I used to use soy protein powders years ago when I first tried this fitness thing. I'm vegetarian by birth (and not 110% concerned with what's in everything I eat, but that's ok) and so soy seemed "safe" to me. The powders were fine... but then I did some research and found that the soy wasn't as "complete" a protein as whey and seeing as I'm perfectly fine with dairy-derived products I decided to use whey this time around (if and when I add powders or shakes or etc.)

FYI - protein powders/shakes/bars are good for snacking when you need a filling something, but better after a workout. The protein helps rebuild muscle.
  • Ccduff
    Ccduff Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the short course in understanding protein supplements. I haven't ever really concentrated on the protein part (more concerned with avoiding unhealthy fats and controlling intake of quality carbs to manage diabetes) but maybe I should get on the bandwagon. I am training twice a week now and the muscle thing is hitting more close to home!