Hard career decision... need input

Options
Audddua
Audddua Posts: 176 Member
Last night a friend of mine from college was telling me about how much he LOVES his new job and the company he's working for. Lots of younger people, fast paced and cool perks (paid healthcare, gym on site, same or higher pay than my current job and more). I'm in this HUGE dilemma: do I go interview and check it out or stick it out where I am. I don't want to be a "job-hopper" (my first job out of school was 1 year (I quit) and now I've been at current job for almost 3 years).

I like my current job and the people I work with. There is room for advancement and I know from reviews that I'm promotable and I've talked to management about it. I've volunteered for extra work and I'm on 2 committees. I'm not challenged (hence why I'm on this site all the time). I've seen other people come back to my current company after leaving and as long as they leave on good terms they're welcomed back so I'm tempted to go.

Does anyone have any advice?? I'm scared to chat with most of my friends because I don't want the word to get out...

Replies

• ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    That saying that, "The grass is always greener on the other side", might apply here. If you like your current job, stick with it unless you're unhappy with what you see down the road. You said that you are promotable, so will that be more challanging for you? If I had a job I liked, and could play online, I would love it! lol
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Staying 3 years at one job (esp. right out of college) is a pretty solid record. I say go for it! You can always decline an offer, but it's good to have choices. GO FOR IT! You are in an ideal situation on both the current job and potential job fronts. GO GO GO! :)
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    What do you do?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you're in IT, "job hopping" is rarely a concern, especially when you are younger and earlier in your career. If you see the opportunity to take on some new challenges and get more pay out of it, and you understand the risks of being a newbie at the new job and the possibility of your fallback position being unavailable if your current employer backfills you, I'd go for it.

Particularly if your current employer has a habit of re-hiring people who have left (which is wise, because the people they re-hire know the business AND have gained some experience elsewhere that they can bring fresh perspectives on!). Your current employer, if they are that wise (and not all of them are), would probably be happy to let you go explore other opportunities. They can only benefit from it long-term.

Just make sure your current job is effectively transitioned to others and that you leave on good terms. You want to leave a good re-employable impression in case you (a) want to come back, or (b) ever need a reference from any of your current co-workers.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you're in IT, "job hopping" is rarely a concern, especially when you are younger and earlier in your career. If you see the opportunity to take on some new challenges and get more pay out of it, and you understand the risks of being a newbie at the new job and the possibility of your fallback position being unavailable if your current employer backfills you, I'd go for it.

Particularly if your current employer has a habit of re-hiring people who have left (which is wise, because the people they re-hire know the business AND have gained some experience elsewhere that they can bring fresh perspectives on!). Your current employer, if they are that wise (and not all of them are), would probably be happy to let you go explore other opportunities. They can only benefit from it long-term.

Just make sure your current job is effectively transitioned to others and that you leave on good terms. You want to leave a good re-employable impression in case you (a) want to come back, or (b) ever need a reference from any of your current co-workers.

That's what I was thinking. I graduated in Dec of 04 and am on my 5th job. Every move has been up and I now have a job that was my goal job at 40 (I'm 29). Plus, I make exactly 2.5x's as much as I did when I started out 7 years ago (OMG, can't believe it's been that long). I've been at my current position a little over 2 years and they aren't getting rid of me :). Oh, I'm in the accouting/finance field.
  • Audddua
    Options
    What do you do?

Currently I'm a senior account coordinator (yep that was a promotion that came with zero more challenges) at a printing company. I went to school for print management. Potential job is account coordinator with a marketing firm that does a lot of print work.

Side note: I have management experience. In high school I was a head lifeguard, in college I managed a bar and my first "real" job I managed customer service at a printing company (that was going under and after multiple rounds of layoffs I just needed to get the rock out of there).
  • Lup120
    Lup120 Posts: 31
    Options
    There are a couple thing you need to ask yourself about your current job.

Are you happy in your current position or do you want a job promotion?
    - You mentioned that there is room for advancement at your current job and you are promotable. How well is your company grooming you so that if a position opens up you are fully capable and fill that position. Have they mentioned a timeline to you or is it vague?
    - If you go over to the new company are you looking for lateral career move or would it be a promotion. Also figure out if there is room for advancement at that company as well. Depending how far up the career ladder you would like to climb and if they are known to promote from within.

-Talk with your friend some more if he has the same job position you are looking to fill and see what he does and how capable you would be at the job

I'd say there id no harm in checking it out to see for yourself if the company and position would be a good fit and see if you mesh with the people there. If you do end up wanting the job and getting it just make sure to stay on good terms with your current company should something happen and you would like to go stay there or go back.
  • Audddua
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input!

I think I'm going to get the ol' resume together and go check it out. If I do get the job, and I'm still on the fence, I think I'll just have a frank conversation with either my direct supervisor and/or the plant manager about why I'm thinking about leaving and asking if there is anything firm on the horizon for me.

Oh jeez he literally just texted me while I'm writing this! There's a spot open on a team that I would be perfect for.

Ack... I'm a ball of nerves... good thing I'm going to barbell strength class after work so I can sweat it out!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Why not go for the interview and see what happens? I have 2 part time jobs and love them both. Having the variety keeps me from getting burned out and I have a lot more flexibility with both jobs. Plus if I get fired or laid off or quit 1 I'll still have the other. And I get paid every week between the 2.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not going to be considered a job hopper if you've been at your current job for 3 years. The opportunity with your friend sounds great. The only thing I will tell you is SOMETIMES certain benefits of one job don't outweigh the bad things about the other job. I studied Architecture in college and I was at my first firm for 5 years. While there I got to design houses on my own, manage huge developer projects. It was awesome and empowering, but stressful. Well, when the housing market took a dive I decided to look elsewhere b/c I was going to end up having my hours cut there. I found a new job for another well known firm in the area. I was so excited b/c I was going to be paid $10,000 more per year for WAY less responsibility. It sounded great at the time, I had a two year old son, so less brain used at work would lead to better mom at home. Well, after 3 years there (I was layed off in December when they got super slow) I realized how damaging it was to me to go there. While I didn't have an awful experience I realized how unimportant the money really was because I lost part of myself there. I feel so much less confident in my ability to design, etc.
  • gamehen2
    gamehen2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've decided to go for it, and that's good!

I'm actually in the recruitment industry and you are what is called a "passive candidate" which makes you highly desirable and gives you excellent leverage for advancing your career. You're currently employed and generally happy in your job. From the recruiting company's perspective, this means that you're an excellent prospective employee with a proven successful track record.

From your perspective, you aren't desperate for a job and so you have a perfect starting point for negotiating your terms. If you don't like what they have to offer, you are free to turn it down. If you do like what they have to offer, you can negotiate for more (within reason) or go back to your current employer and use the offer to negotiate for better terms in your current job. Don't settle for promises. At-will employers will promise the moon but have no obligation to fulfill them.

Good luck!
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for whatever makes you happy. You spend at least half of your day at work and it has a huge influence on the rest of your day as well as the weekends. If you're unhappy, then you should consider looking somewhere else. After all, the most imporant thing is to look out for number one (yourself). That said, if I were you, I might shadow a day at the new place to see if it is really what is it cracked up to be.

If you are somewhat happy, I'd make sure that this new place gives you an offer you can't refuse. And get this in writing. Then you have leverage.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    At 3 years, I would not say you are a job hopper . This would be more like someone with 5 3 year jobs. As you know, work is about the people and your passion for what you do. Making more money, would need to be MORE. Like 10 or 15% more. In some cases where you can get into a better environment, a pay cut is even OK.

The bottom line is passion. Will you be doing something you love to do? Really love to do? Then it's worth it.

Where do you want to be in 3 years? 5 years? How about 10?

BTW - an interview isn't a job change, it's a chance to find out more about the new company. I have had 4 interviews in the last 3 years, and 3 job offers. I am still here.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Only if it's moving up into a position with further advancement potential or if it makes you more marketable in general to move up elsewhere. Or, if you're lucky, it can be both.