2 workouts in a day?

Options
I've used Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred in the past and started on Day 1 again last night.
I also have a gym membership that is going unused-I'm embarrassed to say how long it's been since I've gone :(
I do want to get to the gym 3 days a week to do the stationary bike and eliptical. However I really want to follow through (this time) and finish out the 30 Day Shred.
Which means I will have 2 workouts (one am, one pm) on those 3 days a week I'll be going to the gym for the next month.
Is this okay?

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred at the same time as my 2nd round of Insanity and was just fine doing one in the AM and the other in the PM. Just listen to your body and if you need a break from the double workouts make sure you take it. I was doing 6 days/week so if you're going to do 3 I think you'll be good!
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yea. Why not?
    On most days I do 2 workouts a day. 1 in the morning when I get up and then again during my lunch break at work. Just make sure on those days that you eat more so you have enough energy and nutrients to get you through the day!
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    **deleted b/c of double post**
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, humans used to 'work out' vigorously several times a day in varying degrees. (hunting, gathering, gardening, etc) Now we have desk jobs and when we begin 'working out' we wonder how much is too much. I am not being critical, it just is interesting to me. I think if you feel good and strong and don't hurt too much, it is awesome. I used to do mini-work outs 3x a day to boost my metabolism. Good luck! 8)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and it will tell you if it's OK. Minor muscle ache is good, actual sharp pain or any ache inside a joint is bad.

Cardio can pretty much be done to exhaustion as long as you're warming up and cooling down properly, and feeding/hydrating your body properly.

Also, make sure you aren't tiring yourself to the point where your form/technique starts to get sloppy - that's the stuff that injury is made of.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. 2 workouts a day should be fine. Just make sure you listen to your body and don't push if it's telling you there's pain. Keep hydrated and make sure you eat enough to avoid dizziness and whatnot :p
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    My buddy who powerlifts spends 7 to 8 hours in the gym multiple days out of the week. As long as you're not killing yourself (literally injuring or going so hard that you hurt something) then working out 2 or 3 or 4 times a day isn't going to hurt you.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    For the next 9 weeks, I'll be working out twice a day - Insanity in the morning and turbofire in the evening :drinker:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's OK. But, I decided not to. Life's too short for that *kitten*. Work hard in your daily workout, and live your life the rest of the time.
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    I run in the morning, usually 3 miles, then do my workout at night.....right now RI30.
  • mikeocost14
    mikeocost14 Posts: 25
    Options
    Your body will decide if it is ok or not. Listen to it. Either way, make sure you give yourself enough rest.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    I workout everyday in the afternoon after work.. 2-3 days a week I get up early and do a morning workout as well. My morning ones are 45-60 minutes. Afternoon, at least 60 minutes.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I agree on that. There's been times that I've done two workouts in one day. One usually consists of a combo of dumbbells with aerobics moves (no aerobics moves while holding dumbbells!!!) and the other is a kickboxing routine. I usually do them both at night if I do them both on the same day, otherwise it's just one or the other. But if I add my kickboxing routine to the mix I usually wait for about half an hour after the dumbbells/aerobics and instead of 20 minutes I cut my time in half so I don't end up hurting myself. And it's a great way to burn off some of the days' fat intake when you use the two together!!! Cardio all the way!!! :bigsmile:
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yes....I do elliptical in the morning daily & lift every other day in the afternoon.