How much does alcohol affect your heart rate?

Nlongenecker
Nlongenecker Posts: 765
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
This weekend I was out of town and after dinner and a fruity martini, I went to the gym in the hotel and walked (briskly) on the treadmill. From previous exercise experience, I would expect my HR to be somewhere between 115-125. But it pretty much stayed at 65 and ocasionally jump to 120. It showed I only burned 54 calories for about 1/2 hour. I thought something was wrong with it, like the battery or something. But I used it today and it seemed normal. Can alcohol affect my heart rate that much?

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    It might have been the treadmill messing with your HRM. Some machines can do that. I don't know what kind you have but mine is an F6 and is not supposed to do that.
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    It might have been the treadmill messing with your HRM. Some machines can do that. I don't know what kind you have but mine is an F6 and is not supposed to do that.

Thanks, guess I didn't think of that.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Alcohol can affect your heart rate but more along the lines of tachycardia (very fast beat for no reason) or palpitations (irregular heartbeat). Same thing can happen from too much caffeine.
This discussion has been closed.