Gym Membership or Weights at Home?

Options
13»

Replies

• kingcobragt500
    Options
    Here in Texas you can go to a place called Play it again sports and get used equipment on the cheap. Also craigslist is a great place to find used weights!!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    If you're on a budget then it might just be better to buy the weights and some DVDs to work with at home. Unless you can find a fairly cheap gym with good equipment or one that caters mostly or solely to weights and strength training then just stick with that.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It seems like you have already done a lot of research. My suggestion would be getting some free weights and working out at home. There are amazing online resources for at home workouts and if you weren't actually using the weight machines or bar bells then you were really there for the space.

I used to be a gym rat, then I stopped going and now can't afford it. I have definitely figured out ways to workout at home and I don't think I would want to pay for a gym again.

ETA: On the other hand my husband is always using the treadmill and the weights at the gym in our apartment complex. He would definitely use a membership.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't give up my gym membership because I love having access to all of the up-to-date equipment, but if you can't afford it, you should make due with other options for now.

Check around for used weights, or do more research to see if you can fine a less expensive gym option where you can your lifting. Does your apartment complex have a workout room? Try Craigslist or a sporting goods resale shop (or even Walmart) for a used weight set.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I bought all of my home gym equipment on craigslist except my treadmill. I got VERY good deals on everything so it was definitely worth it to me. I don't like gyms at all(personal preference) so it has worked out well.
  • JohnnytheGeek
    JohnnytheGeek Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have downstairs neighbors? The probably won't appreciate you deadlifting. :-).

Not sure where you live, but I'd recommend getting an olympic bar and some weights off of craigslist. You might be able to get by with squat stands instead of a power rack/cage and will take up less space. Even better if can double to do bench pressing with a flat bench. Add fold up sawhorses for safety when squatting/benching.

I've got a gym at home and it's great not having to travel. I've picked up everything via craigslist except I built a lifting platform.

Good Luck!
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I live way to far from a gym to consider it. Bought bench and free weights off craigslist from a guy that just moved closer to the gym (ha!). Got a nice bench, stand for the weights, a bunch of weights, barbell, two dumbbell sets and mat for $175. Am way happy with it. Uses about a 6 x 8 foot area to store, 8 x 10 to work out so it's not without "space" cost in a small home. I also use the side door step and a Swiss ball to complete the workouts in "New Rules of Lifting for Women" (he does include non-gym-member options for a few things that require machines). Well worth it for me.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's time to branch out a bit with your workouts. We all have to adapt once in a while and it sounds like this maybe a good time for you. So First I suggest you limit your weekly visits to the gym for those workouts where you need the equipment. This'll save you time and gas money at least.

Agreed. Maybe you can get a per-visit card and do lifting once a week, then jog/bike/30-day shred instead of trying to make it work the way it used to work.

Adapt and overcome :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Gym for me- I can't stay focused at home, there's too many things to distract.

If I sold all my exercise equipment in my basment gym (that I rarely use) I could pay for two years of gym memberships, and have more room in my house, too.