17 day diet?

Options

Replies

• camperchick64
    camperchick64 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it tomorrow - I got the book and have read it and it looks to be a pretty healthy plan - but I could see that you will need to eat your calories as it allows you unlimited lean meats and certain veggies. Your not eating the carbs and processed foods so you will need to eat what you can to get your calorie intake up to where it should be. I see a few things I plan on deviating from - I do whey shakes in the morning and am going to keep doing them. The only other thing I may do that it doesn't tell you you can do is have a protein shake in the afternoon, and maybe an extra yogart or fruit. I exercise quite a bit and I'm not wanting to change my exercise so I will have to eat to keep my calories up. I'm anxious to see how it works.
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it tomorrow - I got the book and have read it and it looks to be a pretty healthy plan - but I could see that you will need to eat your calories as it allows you unlimited lean meats and certain veggies. Your not eating the carbs and processed foods so you will need to eat what you can to get your calorie intake up to where it should be. I see a few things I plan on deviating from - I do whey shakes in the morning and am going to keep doing them. The only other thing I may do that it doesn't tell you you can do is have a protein shake in the afternoon, and maybe an extra yogart or fruit. I exercise quite a bit and I'm not wanting to change my exercise so I will have to eat to keep my calories up. I'm anxious to see how it works.

Apparently the author has posted video updates somewhere and whey protein shakes are allowed. There is an awesome facebook group (the official one) with a lot of people who have been doing the diet a long time and have a lot of wisdom. Everyone there is very supportive and it's a great place to ask questions
  • 7bel0
    7bel0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've almost finish the first 17 day cycle of this diet and I have to say, it hasn't been easy but boy has it been worth it. I'm a 2 hour a day treadmill session lover! My friends think I'm insane logging 2 hours on the treadmill 4-5 days a week but I do it because it's worked. The first 7 days of this diet though, I could barely get out of my own way. Basically because I'm suck a carb lover, my body was adjusting to the lack of extra calories. There was NO 2 hour treadmill sessions.

Today is Day 16. I've lost 12 pounds. I've gained more knowledge about eating healthy. I don't feel worn down anymore (just the first 5-7 days).

As for the eating, buy veggies in BULK and cut them up as soon as you get home and put them in containers or in bags so you can easily grab them when you're hungry. It's quick and easy, but it's not quick and easy like a bag of chips or ice cream or something that's processed and bad for you. I'm doing this with my mom, who I'm living with, and we cook off a small turkey every week and pick it off the bone so it's an easy protein to grab on the go. Whey protein! Stock up. Fills you up. And you can have it. Also, chicken sausage, the thin and trim kind. New addiction. Cooks in like 5 minutes.

Basically, I know the whole first chapter in the book like the back of my hand. I love it.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I read the book, thought about it for a few days, and decided I couldn't be that restricted with what I eat.
  • ampgsp03
    ampgsp03 Posts: 20
    Options
    whats whey? and where do i get it?
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i read it but i'm not very interested in being told pretty much exactly what to eat each day. seems like a good plan; just not for me.
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

whey is a form of protein. It comes in a powder format to make shakes out of. it's a great addition for adding extra calories when you need them as well as if you're trying to build some muscle, your body needs the extra protein to repair itself. You can get it in any health store as well as places like Walmart and Costco. Whey isolate is the best, and look for something low in sugars and carbs.
  • 7bel0
    7bel0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

whey is a form of protein. It comes in a powder format to make shakes out of. it's a great addition for adding extra calories when you need them as well as if you're trying to build some muscle, your body needs the extra protein to repair itself. You can get it in any health store as well as places like Walmart and Costco. Whey isolate is the best, and look for something low in sugars and carbs.

^^this!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I just got my book to read from the library - took a while!
    Anyway, I think it sounds goods.
    The first stage really restrictive but it includes yoghurt and 2 serves fruit which most low carb plans don't.
    The second stage (the second lot of 17 days) you add back some grains. But what I didn't know until I read the book was that you alternate the first stage foods with second stage foods for 17 days, i.e.

Second Stage of Diet:
    day 1 - second stage foods - incl grains/pulses/starches
    day 2 - first stage foods
    day 3 - second stage foods - incl grains/pulses/starches
    day 4 - first stage foods
    etc for 17 days

The 17 days seems random - I would do the stages as 21 days each (maybe).
  • konnim
    konnim Posts: 2
    Options
    Bought the book, It had some good reciepies, Starting the day with hot lemon water instead of coffee was tuff!
  • SanDFit
    SanDFit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 17 day diet for 2.5 months now and have lost 20lbs. It is very hard for me to lose weight. With simple dieting and exercising and logging my calories on MFP from Dec to march I didn't lose any weight. The 17 Day diet has been more of a lifestyle change for me. I did one round of C1, C2 & C3 and then stayed on in C3 since then. I'm still losing weight while eating portioned carbs and working out 3-5 times a week at the gym.
    I eat a lot of fresh vegetables, chicken or fish, 2 portions of fruit & yoghurt daily. Since I am on C3 my choice of carbs vary between potatoes, lentils, gram flour, whole wheat flour or quinoa.
    I'm actually feeling healthy after a really long time.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • camperchick64
    Options
    I just started my first day yesterday. So far it's going good. I was not hungry at all last night and felt really good as a matter of fact - not bloated and gross feeling. I varied a bit in that I had coffee in the morning with a little creamer and I had raspberry vingerette dressing on my salad, and I had a cheese stick before running in the afternoon as it was left over in my fridge at work.

I am doing the whey protein shakes in the morning with frozen strawberries though - that is a little different too. The lemon with water in the morning isn't a big deal for me - it actually makes me feel better as I have a hard time doing water in the morning and this helps get me hydrated. I do it as soon as I get out of bed before I hit the shower. I am also doing my supplements better as I am more focused on being healthy. I think the biggest thing for me is staying away from the processed foods. My husband isn't and I fixed him some creamy pasta to go with his chicken last night and I didn't even want to eat any of it.

We will see what today brings. Also I have decided not to log as the whole reason I liked the plan was it set out for me what I could and could not eat and I didn't have to think about it so much - I've just planed my meals and that's what I eat. I like not having to log everything. I'll try it this way and if I have problems after a couple of weeks, I'll go back to logging.
  • ampgsp03
    Options
    :) cant wait to try it
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it right now and have fantastic results so far! It truly does work ... and it is basic common sense ... but you have to stick with it. Day 17 of the Accelerate phase is done on Sunday .. then I start Phase 2 - bring on some red meat, baby! I just know in the first week I lost 8.2 pounds. Haven't weighed myself since - plan on doing that on Sunday. I would highly recommend it, but, like I said, you have to want to do it for results to happen! It's definitely a nice quick start to weight loss.
  • ampgsp03
    Options
    im having problems making out my meals bc if i plan out what im gonna eat for 17 days then i wont wanna go off of it
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ampgsp03
    Options
    bump..
  • camperchick64
    Options
    im having problems making out my meals bc if i plan out what im gonna eat for 17 days then i wont wanna go off of it

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I plan my meals two days at a time. I bought a little pack cooler and I put all my food for the day in it - except for my salad and chicken which I buy from a salad bar for lunch and if course my dinner I prepare when I get home and it works out great. I keep a big salad in the fridge and I stocked up on the frozen veggies that you just put in the microwave - the steamers. So far it's worked out good. I eat a big salad after I get home before I fix dinner cuz my husband likes to eat later. I've varied a few things but I've stuck to the prescribed foods - no processed foods or breads. I did however have a glass of wine last night.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    what happens on the 18th day?

You rest LOL:laugh: