Giving blood

EllieAmancy
EllieAmancy Posts: 36 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I gave blood yesterday and then afterwards had some cookies, gatorade and juice that they provided (I didn't want to faint). All in all, I went way over calorie-wise yesterday, but I was wondering how giving blood affects your calorie consumption. Does anybody know? I mean, what would have been the ideal way to handle that situation?

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    I gave blood last week (hurrah to us!) they advise not exercising for 24hrs but I did and I was fine (about 6 hours later) also I had a club biscuit and a cup of tea hehe and I didn't go over my cals I just factored it in..:flowerforyou:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    I gave blood last week as well. I ate some pretzels and juice they gave me. I did still walk on my break and I exercised that night. My paperwork said to take it easy for 4-5 hours so I wasn't worried, I just paid attention to how I was feeling.

I too wondered if that affected calorie consumption. Does it reduce or increase how many calories you are allotted for the day? No idea. I still lost 3 pounds last week so I guess I'm ok.
  • anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    I just had the apple juice when I donated last week. Since I do it every 8 weeks, I know that I am prone to faint, so I make sure that I am well hydrated (like, waaaaaay over) on the day I donate. That helps a lot. Also, I don't workout on that day either.

I'd go ahead and factor in the calories because you NEED them. Don't have a hang-up about the cookies; it isn't as if it is a habit.

Anyways, kudos to all of us lifesavers out there!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    I posted something about this a few months ago, because I too was curious.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/54075-giving-blood?hl=giving+blood#posts-610710

Turns out you burn a lot of calories replenishing your blood supply. So fear not, and keep donating!
  • anthrochix
    that's great info, thanks!

I had a 2.2 pound loss this week, and I donated last wednesday.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    Awesome! Thanks for the link. I lost last week when I donated too. We get to save a life or 3 and burn a bunch of calories - can't go wrong!
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Wow, thanks to everyone for this info, I am giving blood for the very first time today (hooray!!!) and now I know how to factor in everything. I was already planning on having a few extra calories (nothing crazy), and now it seems that's not too bad of an idea.

:drinker:
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    OK, so my donation went well yesterday, though my iron was borderline (as low as it could possibly be to donate), and I am feeling so completely wiped out, physically AND mentally. I slept through my Thursday gym visit this morning, and never do that (I only get to the gym 2x a week and Thursday is my WI day.)

I did everything I was supposed to do (lots and lots of water, ate much more than I usually do), so am wondering if these symptoms are "real" or just mental? What are others experiences??
  • anthrochix
    well, ninadawn, if your iron levels were the bare minimum to donate, that suggests that you might be leaning towards anemia. Lots of womens iron levels drop around the TOM. So factor in a low-ish iron level and the fact that you're now sans one pint, and I'd say that your symptoms are really real. You should feel better today. Thanks for saving a life:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.