Camp food?

Options
tjones0927
tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
Hey MFPers, with the long weekend happening here in the US I am sure I'm not the only one searching for Ideas...what are some good choices food wise to take camping?
Thank you!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like and what kind of camping you are doing, but we most often do drive up tent camping and I like to take canned beans, instant brown rice, lowfat ground beef and whole grain buns for burgers, lowfat chicken sausages, granola bars for breakfast, apples, carrots, a jar of peanut butter, popcorn, chips & salsa, canned tuna, beer, several bottles of wine and plenty of water (if it's not available).
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    breakfast is usually bacon, eggs, sausage etc. for my group... I started doing egg baggies last year to help keep myself in check. Egg beaters with a strip of cooked bacon, and lots and lots of veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms) in a baggie, boil it in a pan until cooked. GREAT omelet for very few calories. You could even skip the bacon if you wanted.

We do a lot of chicken, fish and veggies on the grill. If we do burgers I have been known to use Romaine lettuce leaves as a 'bun'... it's kind of hilarious to watch me eat it so I just have fun with the comments and what not that I get from my fellow campers.

I love love love smores... to try to catch a break on some of the calories from them I bring a baggie of chocolate chips and use just a couple (3) on my marshmallow and low fat cracker to give it the chocolate taste.

Just a couple of my little camping 'tweaks'... hope it helped some!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My fav camping recipe is Hobo Stew. You'll need lean ground beef, turkey or chicken, assorted veggies (carrots, potato, celery, etc.), light or ff Italian dressing, metal coffee cans and foil. Form the ground meat into patties and shove into the bottom of the coffee cans, add chopped veggies next, then pour over desired amount of Italian dressing (1/2 C?). Place a double or quadruple layer of foil over top of each coffee can to cover, cutting a few vent holes in the tops. Place coffee can in live campfire (or next to hot coals) for about an hour, you'll see steam coming out of the vent holes. Cool and enjoy!