Gaining puffy fat on Insanity

Options
Hello everyone! Sorry about the title of the post, but I have searched high and low, I have asked so many people who refuse to thoughtfully consider my situation and provide a helpful response.

I am a 25 year old woman and I just finished Insanity. I didn't skip anything and I generally enjoyed the workout. for the first month I saw amazing results, not on the scale but in my body. I got smaller. For the first month, I cheated on the weekends and had ice cream sometimes during the week (I know people are going to take the ice cream part and stay on that, but let me clarify that it was once MAYBE twice aweek, and a cup if that.) I would have a measured amound of cereal before my workouts and eat stuff like small sandwiches, soup with pieces of bread, big salads...I was good during the week and cheated on the weekends. I have great day 30 photos, amazing in fact.

About a week into month 2, my husband convinced me to do better (he's always been a bodybuilder type, so I had no problem taking his advice). I started eating shakes in the morning before my workout, and lots of salad, vegetables, and low sodium soups throughout the day. I cut alot of my carbs, not all, but alot. and drink just water. I stopped cheating altogether and side note, I cut off beer during month 1 in Insanity. I have just been eating cleaner and better.

Now, to continue the story, I will say that I have alot of medical problems. stuff like various blood disorders (not anything weird, but they are there)and a thyroid problems. I dont like to use having thyroid issues as an excuse but my husband feels that I should understand that since I have them that I cant just lose the weight like that. But I myself know that I have always lost weight pretty easily in the past just by dieting and thyroid has never really affected that. One more thing, is that I just got off my honeymoon and although I did not cheat, I drank a few beers the last few nights we were there. I also worked out in the hotel room every day. I just went to the Dr. 2 days ago and when they weighed me I couldnt believe it. I gained 11 pounds.

One last thing, I added brazilian butt lift to my daily workouts about 3 weeks into Insanity and I do it religiously.

Knowing all of this, I've put together day 1, day 30, and day 60 photos.

day 1 is not good of course. I am puffy and not toned. day 30 I am alot smaller, toned, and looking slim.

I just put in the day 60 pics, and not only do I look bigger, but the extra mass is puffy, flabby fat. I would certainly understand gaining lean muscle, but muscle is not puffy and flabby. My lower stomach puffs out while in day 30 its lean and toned. and mind you, I work my lower abs alot.

I dont know what is going on here, and I am supposed to be starting Asylum next week. Most people that I ask this defer to the generic "you gained muscle/your not eating good/your too negetive/stop thinking of this as a diet and think of it as a lifestlye change".. etc etc..please, dont do that to me! I am asking for real help here. I want someone to thoughfull consider my plight and really talk to me about it. No uppity attitudes (which I have gotten ALOT of) no holier than thou, etc etc. I have been crying my eyes out all morning over this. I am really about to go into a depression. .I drink a lot of water but I work out so much that I have fainted twice in the last 3 weeks. PLease help and please be helpful. I thank anyone who really, really digs into their heart and mind.

Replies

• dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the troubles you've been having. Two quick thoughts:

- "Go with what works." I tell myself this all the time and it might be helpful for you. If you saw great success in the first 30 days, then changed what you were doing and seemingly undid all of your progress - try going back to what you were doing. The worst that could happen is it doesn't get better, what have you got to lose? I often see my best results when I allow myself an occasional(maybe weekly) day of exceeding my calorie goals.

- Your medical issues may be a factor here, and your change in diet during the last 30 days may have triggered some sort of reaction as a result. This goes back to my first thought: try going back to what was working.

Hang in there - don't give up. You know you did it once, you can do it again! :)
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I really don't know the insanity workout sorry. Mostly bumping this cause I have some similar issues. For me I noticed I slimmed way down when I took a week off of heavy weight lifting. I know you can gain water weight when your muscles are repairing etc...but I was bulky for the full 6-7 weeks I was doing it. Then 1 week all gone! Started lifting again, belly is distended and I just look puffy. I've wondered if it's the protein...or the weights. Hopefully more people will reply. On a positive note...you are gaining muscle and most likely getting stronger, but none of that matters though when you have a layer of fat/water/whatever covering up all your hard work. I really understand your frustrations. People are gonna ask you about cals etc.
  • jessicakogan
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much..I really appreciate you being the first people to give me a real response, nothing generic or artifical. I had a woman berating me for not buying Shakeology (which is out of my price range) and telling me that Im basically a loser for not pulling myself up from my bootstraps, although she herself has told me that she hasnt lost any weight. Great info!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't buy shakeology and don't do insanity anymore. Did you count calories during this period?
  • jessicakogan
    Options
    @Kenny536 I stopped counting calories before Insanity because I found that counting calories caused me to obsess over food way too much, which probably got me in this jam in the first place :cry: I eat 3 or 4 healthy meals a day. Lots of vegetables and vitamins. I want you to expand on the dont buy shakeology and dont do Insanity. Is it because of the high price or is there more that you wanted to add to that? :bigsmile:
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    A better question: why do you think you SHOULD buy shakeology?
    Shakeology is a waste of money, and insanity will not be optimal for your goal (fat loss while preserving LBM).
    Obviously your thyroid issues are relevant here in terms of weight loss. However, without counting calories, no one can really help you in any meaningful fashion. If you want to lose weight badly enough, I would start counting calories and then assess your progress from there.
  • jessicakogan
    Options
    @Kenny536 see that is another generic response. I said that I DONT want to buy shakeology because its just way too overpriced. Life is not all about counting calories. So eating healthy means nothing? That all goes out the window if I dont know the calories?
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options
    That all goes out the window if I dont know the calories?

Short answer, Yes. Most people that work out a ton to lose weight either stay the same weight, or gain as they eat more to compensate. Sorry, I wish there was a better answer.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    @Kenny536 see that is another generic response. I said that I DONT want to buy shakeology because its just way too overpriced. Life is not all about counting calories. So eating healthy means nothing? That all goes out the window if I dont know the calories?
    Generic response or not, it's the truth. If you gained weight, you were eating too many calories. So I would advise that you start counting calories and you can then assess how much of an impact your thyroid issues actually have.
  • jessicakogan
    Options
    @byock can you expand a little if you will. When you say gain your not talking about muscle, but fat right? :sad:
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    If you just got back off honeymoon, could you be pregnant?!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That all goes out the window if I dont know the calories?

Short answer, Yes. Most people that work out a ton to lose weight either stay the same weight, or gain as they eat more to compensate. Sorry, I wish there was a better answer.

I disagree. If what a person is eating is healthy (i.e. vegetables, fruits, lean protein...) eating more will not automatically cause a person to eat an excess amount of calories. If they are replacing junk foods, refined carbs, etc. with vegetables, chances are they are not eating an excess amount of calories. It's easy to eat 100 calories worth of bread. It's not so easy to eat 100 calories of broccoli.
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes. I used to run 3 miles every morning, work out in the gym 5 days a week for an hour. I never lost 1lb or any inches.

Once I started counting calories I starting losing 2lbs a week. Diet is everything.

@NoAdditives That goes without saying. If you are not losing weight, let's be honest, you are not filling yourself up on veggies every meal.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    @Kenny536 I stopped counting calories before Insanity because I found that counting calories caused me to obsess over food way too much, which probably got me in this jam in the first place :cry: I eat 3 or 4 healthy meals a day. Lots of vegetables and vitamins. I want you to expand on the dont buy shakeology and dont do Insanity. Is it because of the high price or is there more that you wanted to add to that? :bigsmile:

which vitamins and how many? Over using vitamins can be harmful, you might do some research on the combination and volume you are taking. I honestly think our bodies go through cycles of fat gain and loss, I hit these stretches where I can not stop gaining then it all comes back off and nothing really changes with the diet during that phase.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I'm sorry for the troubles you've been having. Two quick thoughts:

- "Go with what works." I tell myself this all the time and it might be helpful for you. If you saw great success in the first 30 days, then changed what you were doing and seemingly undid all of your progress - try going back to what you were doing. The worst that could happen is it doesn't get better, what have you got to lose? I often see my best results when I allow myself an occasional(maybe weekly) day of exceeding my calorie goals.

- Your medical issues may be a factor here, and your change in diet during the last 30 days may have triggered some sort of reaction as a result. This goes back to my first thought: try going back to what was working.

Hang in there - don't give up. You know you did it once, you can do it again! :)

I agree.
  • kurrie4
    kurrie4 Posts: 2
    Options
    Reading what you said, I'd say the first reply is probably the best one!!! after 30 days you changed to a body builders diet... Id change back as it doesnt seem to be agreeing with your body.

Ive just started my insanity program, following the diet and the dvd's (snapped my achillies a year ago and need to get my shape back)... its hard work!!!!! I'm just hoping its worth it!!!!

Get back to Sean T's diet and dvds I'd say!!!

Good luck!!!
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Yes. I used to run 3 miles every morning, work out in the gym 5 days a week for an hour. I never lost 1lb or any inches.

Once I started counting calories I starting losing 2lbs a week. Diet is everything.

@NoAdditives That goes without saying. If you are not losing weight, let's be honest, you are not filling yourself up on veggies every meal.

Actually, I do eat a ton of fresh vegetables and fruits. My diet is extremely healthy and very clean. That alone does not get my body to burn fat. Having a calorie deficit alone does not get my body to burn fat. The only thing that gets my body burning fat is exercise.

So while your body may need a calorie deficit, others don't. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you have gotten such negative, uppity up people on here, we all have :/ and I have done the crying over my own body image at time, it is so frustrating to think you are doing everything correct and not get the results you expect. I personally have not done insanity workout . My best and most sincere advise would be to talk to your Physician, especially if you are passing out.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Hi Jessica. I can definitely understand your frustration and I really hope that you take this a just another "generic response" because its not. I agree about what you said about life is not all about counting calories. Eating healthy does count for something but "eating healthy" means different things to different people. No you dont want to obsess about how many calories you are eating BUT at the same time, you need to be AWARE of not only what you are eating but how much you are eating. If you are looking to lose weight and arent counting your calories, you could possibly be overestimating how much you are eating (especially if you arent weighing and measuring your food). Trust me, Ive been down that road 3 times. I used to be 200 lbs at one point and when I lost all the weight the first time, I thought I knew what I was doing and didnt need to count or weigh and measure my food anymore. Yeah I was still working out every day and for the most part was eating healthy, but little things here and there started creeping back up into my diet. I was holding myself accountable for my workouts, but not for what I was eating.

If you are taking an extra bite of this or that (not saying saying that you are but IF you are), that could contribute to extra calories. Also, maybe you changed up your eating a little bit and if you arent tracking your food, you will be unaware of how much sodium you are taking in which can lead to excess water retention. Same thing if you are taking in too many carbs, too much sugar, not enough protein, etc. If you cant see it on paper (or computer, phone, etc.) there is really no way of knowing how much you are eating. Granted, nothing is ever 100% accurate (calories and portion sizes on foods arent accurate but thats a whole different topic) but atleast when you are recording this you are giving yourself an IDEA of how much food and how many calories you are taking in.

When you took those pictures, did you record what your weight and measurements were? Did you wear the same outfit? Where the pictures taken at the same time of day? The reason for the questions is because it does make a difference. If you took day 30 pictures in the morning and then the other pictures at night, your body will look different. Maybe you didnt eat anything in the morning when Day 30 pics were taken and you took the other pictures in the evening after you ate dinner or something.

Im not sure if anything of this is helping you but I can understand where you are coming from. I just started Asylum 4 days ago and now Im wondering if I should keep doing it because Ive heard alot of people are gaining weight from it. But I also run 3-4 days per week and do other workouts. Anyway, I really truly think, it MAY be what you are eating BUT I could be wrong.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you just got back off honeymoon, could you be pregnant?!

I don't want to generalize but I was thinking the same thing.