Request: Chicken Tacos!

Options
fancycupcake
fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
We are looking to make chicken tacos for dinner tonight...just wondering what the best ingredients are for us to buy (especially tortillas or hard taco shells!) in order to keep the calories as low as possible!

We will probably just bake the chicken (we aren't creative) and shred it up. Lettuce, cheese, black olives are likely to be included. I need to have some sort of sauce (no clue). Sour cream is a must have for the boyfriend.

Any suggestions? :]

Replies

• grammymelPolly
    Options
    I use Taco Bell Chipotle sauce on mine and I boil my chicken it is more tender and pulls apart so easy.
  • LBash03
    LBash03 Posts: 72
    Options
    The easiest way to shred chicken is to boil it :) just place the chicken in a large pot of water and bring it to a boil. You can add flavoring to the water so it cooks into the chicken if you want such as seasonings or something. Once it starts to fall apart, it will be easy to shred!
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Fajitas spice mix, fo sho.
  • dawnstrassburg
    Options
    ortego taco shells and seasoning all comes in a box and are super easy, i like to break the shells up and add extra vegies and make it a taco salad!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Use a package of taco seasoning and some salsa mix together and cook the chicken in a crockpot (for future planning)

You can bake it and mix the salsa and seasoning and at the end shred it and place in a pan to flavor the chicken
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    when going low cal I prefer Fajitas, soft flour torts as small as possible (best way to get low call with tortillas is to go smaller) then fill them as full as possible with chicken, peppers and onions. I tried fat free sour cream and it is lame, I would rather go without it and have more cheese which is the low fat 2% cheese. Finish it off with a ton of fresh salsa an cilantro.
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    I like to put chicken in a crockpot with chicken broth and let it simmer all day. Nice and moist. As for sauce, I'd go for salsa or taco sauce in the ethnic aisle. As for taco shells, see if they have extreme tortillas by Ole! Only 80 calories, and if you go for the high fiber ones, they are a win!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas warmed in the oven (wrap in foil an heat up). Way better than flour for you.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    use soft corn tortillas and a yummy chunky salsa to flavor the chicken or on top of the taco! maybe greek yogurt instead of sour cream? tons of possibilities!
  • toriann143
    toriann143 Posts: 64
    Options
    I do the chicken in a crockpot. I also found some tortillas that are pretty healthy - the brand is Ole and it says Extreme Wellness on it. I use the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning that is reduced sodium.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but apparently greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream and is much thicker, and full of protein!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use Taco Bell Taco Seasoning - its a little high in sodium, but its tasty and low calorie.

For sour cream, try substituting fat-free, or for more protein use plain greek yogurt. It's a fantastic substitute and tastes identical ( I use Dannon Oikos)

For tortilla shells, try Tumaro's 95% fat free, low carb soft shells.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the crock pot but it is a little late for that. I put in a couple of breasts and then cook them all day with salsa and 1/2 and envelope of taco seasoning (low sodium). I prefer the burrito shells and I make rice to go with it.:flowerforyou:
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Chopped fresh cilantro for sure. I like the fat free sour cream if I mix some taco sauce with it. Pico de Gallo of course. And my favorite....wontons baked crisp for filling!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    These are the chicken tacos I am having for dinner tonight.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tacos-with-mango-avocado-salsa-10000001924691/
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I buy soft corn tortillas, spray them with a little cooking spray and bake...they get slightly crispy. Two tortillas is 110 calories.

I make my own taco seasonings with chili powder, onion powder, red pepper, cumin and salt (add a little water or tomato sauce if too dry). Saves me from wondering what I am eating.

I use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Mostly because I always have it on hand, but you can hardly tell the difference in tacos. Also, I always slice up avocado, just because I love them. And I top with shredded lettuce and cherry tomatoes cut in half. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and voila, yummy tacos.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Why not skip the tortillas & make "taco salad"? Saves a ton of calories.
    Salsa is very low-cal & adds lots of flavor. Lots of veggies. Nothing wrong with sour cream, as long as you watch portion sizes!

I would personally use whole wheat / low carb tortillas if you absolutely can't do without. They can cost a little more $$, though.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I second the taco seasoning packet. I usually cook my chicken on the stove top in a grill with a little bit of olive oil and seasoning (taco packet). I don't cook it all the way, I wrap it in foil when its almost done and let it finish cooking in the foil on the counter so the chicken (breast meat) doesn't get dried out. My usual toppings are pico de gallo (fresh in the cheese aisle typically), cilantro, lettuce, black beans, light mexican cheese and maybe a little sour cream. I use white corn tortillas, also cooked in a tiny bit of olive oil just to soften them up. They are super yummy, hubby is always asking me to make these. I also make them with shrimp as well.
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just had chicken tacos for lunch. Feel free to look at my diary. I use old el paso hard shells. Three shells 150 calories. I send my chicken through a food processor, then boil it. Eventually I drain the water, and then I put a tablespoon of ortega 40% less sodium taco mix over it, add a little water, and cook a little more.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    If you cook it in a slow cooker -- or even modify and cook it in a pot on the stove -- with this recipe, you won't need a sauce.

Costa Vida Chicken

* 1 (16 oz.) bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing (any brand will do, really)
    * 1 Tbsp chili powder
    * 1 Tbsp cumin
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 5 skinless, boneless chicken breast

Cook all together in a crock pot on low for 4 hours, shred meat and cook 1 additional hour. This recipe makes a lot so you can do have or freeze the leftovers for another meal.

Easy and tasty. Only drawback -- a tad high on the sodium from the Italian dressing.