Knee pops

Options
My knees have popped for as long as I remember, even while doing something as simple as changing direction when I walk. I've never thought much of it, other than it annoying me when I'd place my son in his crib at night because when I turned to leave the pop would make him very aware that I was leaving the room.

That being said.. I'm on week 5 of p90x. The popping is getting more frequent. It doesn't hurt, but this can't be good.

Should I get some braces? See a doctor? Or am I way off base and this is somewhat normal?

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    We can't possibly diagnose your knee through the computer. See a doctor.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Mine grind, snap and pop as well as crackle and have done so since I was in my early 20s

I was told...if it doesn't hurt, there is nothing much wrong or that can be done

My massage therapist recommended strengthening the muscles surrounding the knee
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Might need an oil change. Just don't get it done at Walmart.
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    I'd probably see a doctor! If it's getting more frequent, your body could be trying to tell you something!
  • rurujr
    rurujr Posts: 5
    Options
    It's probably your cartlidge in your knee. Don't stop what your doing till the Dr. tells you too. That being said, you should at least get it check to make sure your good. I've had 4 knee surgeries and I'm always hurting.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Go see a doc to get it sorted cos it might be something.

But if it's nothing, reverse out of the room?
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Mine have popped since I was a teenager :laugh:
  • grubester
    grubester Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a similar issue. Orthopedic doc says the popping isn't an issue unless it produces pain. He told the noises are a pretty natural result of age. Strengthening quad muscles that attach to the knee is the best thing you can do for your knee.
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Oh, I definitely need one or two of those!

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll have it checked. I'm glad to see that it can be normal, though!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Is it just popping, or crunching, too? If it's a pop, and it happens when you move certain ways, it could be something like your patella isn't tracking right. If it's not serious, this can often be alleviated with a good sports tape job - this will line things up properly. Just don't wear pants with the tape or you'll go crazy. ;) Any sports therapist can help you with how to tape it properly. It's at least worth trying first, if anything else.

Having had two knee injuries in the last year and surgery as well... I can only say that going to a doctor and getting an MRI will be your best bet to prevent anything more serious as you progress through your workouts. I wish I had gone sooner.
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm a physical therapist and it sounds like whatever is going on with your knee is getting worse. It could be chonromalacia or cartilage wearing. I would most definetly make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for a comprehensive evaluation and hopefully an MRI to make sure there is nothing major going on with the knee. Continue your workouts, but wrap it or put a brace around it. You can get these items at a sporting good store or walmart/cvs/walgreens, etc. Take over the counter anti-inflammatory medication and ice after your workouts. Sounds like you may have some instability in the knee as well. I have had 2 surgeries on my right knee and my knee still grinds and pops depending on the workouts I do. To be safe if you do anything like jumping, then do it on a softer surface if possible- this will eliminate pressure on the knee or worsening conditions. Also, if you are doing lunges or squats, do a half lunge or half squat, but more reps...the going down isn't too bad, but when you are coming back up the knee may rub or start to get irritated. Do a lot of quad exercies to stregthen the muscles around the knee.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

LOL!

Mine make weird noises when I go up and down the stairs and for a while there, they hurt. I took glucosamine chondrotin and strengthened my leg muscles and they don't hurt anymore, but still make weird noises...Everyone has told me its normal.
  • gnarlynoodle
    Options
    I have a similar issue. Orthopedic doc says the popping isn't an issue unless it produces pain. He told the noises are a pretty natural result of age. Strengthening quad muscles that attach to the knee is the best thing you can do for your knee.

This makes a ton of sense.. my quads are one of my weakest areas. Alas, I'm only 28. I'm way too young to sound this old! :)
  • gnarlynoodle
    Options
    I'm a physical therapist and it sounds like whatever is going on with your knee is getting worse. It could be chonromalacia or cartilage wearing. I would most definetly make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for a comprehensive evaluation and hopefully an MRI to make sure there is nothing major going on with the knee. Continue your workouts, but wrap it or put a brace around it. You can get these items at a sporting good store or walmart/cvs/walgreens, etc. Take over the counter anti-inflammatory medication and ice after your workouts. Sounds like you may have some instability in the knee as well. I have had 2 surgeries on my right knee and my knee still grinds and pops depending on the workouts I do. To be safe if you do anything like jumping, then do it on a softer surface if possible- this will eliminate pressure on the knee or worsening conditions. Also, if you are doing lunges or squats, do a half lunge or half squat, but more reps...the going down isn't too bad, but when you are coming back up the knee may rub or start to get irritated. Do a lot of quad exercies to stregthen the muscles around the knee.

Thank you so much. Definitely going to go now! I'm terrified of surgery. I've never needed it and I'll do whatever is needed to hopefully avoid it in the future.
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    That would be best...just to be sure and to make sure you are doing everything correctly as well. No, you do not want to have surgery, it's a major set back for an active person- depending on what type of surgery it is in my opinion, but we are going to stay positive and say that it's just "old age" LOL...since we are the same age!
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Mine grind, snap and pop as well as crackle and have done so since I was in my early 20s

I was told...if it doesn't hurt, there is nothing much wrong or that can be done

My massage therapist recommended strengthening the muscles surrounding the knee

My knees sound like bubble wrap when I flex them. They've done so for a long time now, presumably because I had too much weight on them for too long.

I talked to my doctor about it and she said almost exactly what you were told - if it doesn't hurt, don't worry about it. Strengthen the leg muscles, especially the quads. Mix in some higher-impact exercises to strengthen the joint.

I'd recommend that the OP ask her doctor about it the next time she goes in, but I'd say an appointment for this specific issue is probably not needed unless there is pain.

I also sometimes get a pop in the front of my knee when I bend down and put all my weight forward on one leg. Those do get sore and ache for a day or two. Also asked my doc about those and she said it's a bursa sac popping, and nothing to worry about unless the pain becomes severe or doesn't go away quickly.
  • sshook990
    sshook990 Posts: 284
    Options
    i dont have that problem, but ive been told its to relieve pressure in the area kinda like cracking a back, i have the same popping in my shoulder on the right but only when i do things like arm circles but once i strech it goes away.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    We can't possibly diagnose your knee through the computer. See a doctor.

This. Generally, any time you ask, "Should I see a doctor?" it's a good indication that you should see a doctor.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about a new low carb breakfast cereal!!:tongue::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sateliteofluv
    sateliteofluv Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a good list of quad exercises?