Some Kind Words or Advice

Options
Hi all,

I started this journey about a month ago. My starting weight was about 170. I am 5'10" tall. I have been sticking to about 1200-1300 calories a day, and to date, i have only lost about 4 pounds.

I have a desk job, so I know my big focus has to be on diet. I also work out occasionally, and have been trying to step it up recently.

My main question is, why am i not losing a little bit faster? I am getting discouraged because i don't see any weight coming off. I need a jump start. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Katie

Replies

• bizzmania
    bizzmania Posts: 5
    Options
    bump, would really like some info/advice :)
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Keep at it! Eat the calories that MFP tells you to, eat back any exercise calories, and be as active as you can be. I feel your pain about the desk job - it can be hard to fit in exercise. I sometimes take the lift to the bottom of the building and take the stairs back up and things like that just to squeeze in a bit of movement.

Also, take your measurements. Even if your weight isn't changing, your measurements could be. And drink water, it helps a lot.

Stick with it - you'll get there!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't have a ton to lose, so it will come off slower. 4lbs is not shabby, most people say 1lb a week is a healthy loss and that is what you are averaging. If you want to lose faster, add cardio. Go running, swimming, aerobics, etc. Dramatic weight loss comes from diet AND exercise! Yes you will lose just doing half....but do you really just want to do things halfway??

I have a desk job too. See ticker below! ;) Best wishes!! You can totally do this! Don't get discouraged!! Congrats on your awesome achievement!!! You ROCK!!
  • bizzmania
    Options
    For some reason I've delayed taking my measurements throughout ANY of my weight loss efforts. For fear maybe? I will put that on my to-do list this week, because it may help to encourage me. :)

i've been drinking 8 or more glasses of water a day, I guess the next step is making time for cardio. i want this to work, and work for the long term!!!!

thanks to you two for commenting!
  • bizzmania
    Options
    btw, congrats to BOTH of you for outstanding progress!
  • jodienc1
    jodienc1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I use MFP as a tool to log my food on the advice of my nutritionist... both she and my doctor insist only bodybuilders and extreme athletes should be eating back their calories, so be wary of advice.. <Many people have had a lot of success on this board, but my advice comes from medical professionals.

Look at it this way. If you are burning off 350 calories at the gym and you eat back those calories, you've negated your efforts - making your calorie deficit ZERO. One pound = 3500 calories, in or out.. no way around it.

I have lost 52 pounds since November with 6 more to go... by eating clean and exercising my butt off in the gym 6 days a week. Portion size, protein, fruit and veggies... No soda, no juice.. very little alcohol and lots of water.

Exercise when you can... walk as much as you can even if it is during lunch, to and from the break room to refill your water. You need to schedule time for exercise. I go at 4:45am M-F so I can get it in.. I feel great for the rest of the day and I don't feel inclined to eat poorly knowing I was up before the sun

Keep it up.. it will come off!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I use MFP as a tool to log my food on the advice of my nutritionist... both she and my doctor insist only bodybuilders and extreme athletes should be eating back their calories, so be wary of advice.. <Many people have had a lot of success on this board, but my advice comes from medical professionals.

Look at it this way. If you are burning off 350 calories at the gym and you eat back those calories, you've negated your efforts - making your calorie deficit ZERO. One pound = 3500 calories, in or out.. no way around it.

I have lost 52 pounds since November with 6 more to go... by eating clean and exercising my butt off in the gym 6 days a week. Portion size, protein, fruit and veggies... No soda, no juice.. very little alcohol and lots of water.

Exercise when you can... walk as much as you can even if it is during lunch, to and from the break room to refill your water. You need to schedule time for exercise. I go at 4:45am M-F so I can get it in.. I feel great for the rest of the day and I don't feel inclined to eat poorly knowing I was up before the sun

Keep it up.. it will come off!

Sorry but this is not completely true... MFP sets you up with a calorie deficit so you will still have one if you eat back your exercise calories. That's the point of why this website is set up this way!! If you don't eat at least some of your exercise calories back (how much impact depends on how active you are), then your deficit could be too high which could be detrimental to your metabolism and overall health if done on a regular long term basis.

To the OP, four pounds in one month is incredible progress, especially for someone with less to lose!! Keep up the good work, practice patience and definitely take measurements and pay attention to how your clothes are fitting.