"refeeds"/ diet breaks

Options
Does anyone partake in these, and if so how often?
I am worried about my metabolism slowing down so I am thinking of eating at or just below maitenence for a few days...

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the frequency would depend on a bunch of factors (how lean you are currently, how much of a deficit you are in, how much activity you are doing, etc.)
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda doing that right now since I can't run...i'm kinda recovering for a couple days.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I did this on vacation, increasing my calories to maintenance. I didn't gain anything except a little water weight (gone the next day), and have lost 2 more lbs since getting back.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am eating at approximately 400-450 below my BMR. I'm 5'8", I started at 165 and my "ideal weight" was calculated around 145. I'm two weeks in and have lost 5 pounds but I have been feeling a little sluggish and lightheaded so I was thinking a diet break might be called for... is it too soon?
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i read an atricle about higer carb days where you add 55% or more to your carbs and with my body type it said every 6-8 days
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    I am eating at approximately 400-450 below my BMR. I'm 5'8", I started at 165 and my "ideal weight" was calculated around 145. I'm two weeks in and have lost 5 pounds but I have been feeling a little sluggish and lightheaded so I was thinking a diet break might be called for... is it too soon?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so far below your BMR? No wonder you feel sluggish....
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I do it several times weekly. I've never looked at this as dieting though...just a lifestyle change. I have weekly bonus caloires that I use throughout the week for splurges. Even with those, my total calories for each week are still at a healthy losing rate.

Im a firm believer that if you want long term success, you have to be realistic. I think that if I had to have "breaks" as opposed to just eating the things I want in moderation, I'd feel very deprived. For me, if I feel deprived, I end up hating life.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Why are you eating so far below your BMR? No wonder you feel sluggish....

I wondered the same...
  • jackieatx
    Options
    :laugh:
  • jackieatx
    Options
    My BMR is around 1850 and I'm eating at 1410. I guess I don't feel like its a huge deficit. I'm satiated by the amount I'm taking in. I've always been a relatively healthy person, the reason I gained 15 pounds was from hormonal imbalances due to birth control after my second pregnancy. I too see this as a lifestyle which is why I want to do this right and I don't want to screw up my metabolism. I was wondering if diet breaks help with that.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It happens inadvertently. I don't plan it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My BMR is around 1850 and I'm eating at 1410. I guess I don't feel like its a huge deficit. I'm satiated by the amount I'm taking in. I've always been a relatively healthy person, the reason I gained 15 pounds was from hormonal imbalances due to birth control after my second pregnancy. I too see this as a lifestyle which is why I want to do this right and I don't want to screw up my metabolism. I was wondering if diet breaks help with that.

Eating below BMR is dangerous. Just FYI.
  • jackieatx
    Options
    How so, FMI
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Leigh Peele (my current guru :D ) says re-feed / eating at maintenance is a good idea every 12 weeks if you have a significant amount of weight to lose and every 8 weeks or so if you have very little left to lose. This may not be necessary as often if you are currently cycling calories. If you are in a strict deficit - those are her recommendations.
  • neverstray
    Options
    How so, FMI

BMR is the bare minimum necessary calories to keep you alive to provide for things like breathing, digestion, brain functions, etc. and assumes no activity at all. So, you are laying in bed completely immobile, and your BMR is the amount of calories to keep you alive. So, eating below BMR is dangerous, for really obvious reasons.

Just getting up out of bed requires more calories than just at BMR.
  • byock
    byock Posts: 23
    Options
    Not completely convinced the BMR is completely accurate for all body types. My BMR is calculated at 1912. I have been eating 1500 calories max not adding for exercise for the last 6 months. "starvation" mode is hugely over hyped.

Anyway, what works for me, is one day a week I eat at BMR by upping my carbs but staying at or under BMR. The rest of the week I stick to 1500. Keeps me feeling great with tons of energy. But as others have said, you have to find what works for you.

If you start losing more than 2 lbs a week, up your calories to keep it safe. I am about 1lb a week loss now, and have been enjoying life.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    How so, FMI

BMR is the bare minimum necessary calories to keep you alive to provide for things like breathing, digestion, brain functions, etc. and assumes no activity at all. So, you are laying in bed completely immobile, and your BMR is the amount of calories to keep you alive. So, eating below BMR is dangerous, for really obvious reasons.

Are you suggesting that if one eats at or below BMR, they cannot get out of bed?
  • jackieatx
    Options
    Thank yous!
  • neverstray
    Options
    How so, FMI

Are you suggesting that if one eats at or below BMR, they cannot get out of bed?

No, I am suggestion that if you do more than lay in bed, and you eat less than BMR, you are damaging yourself. You are not eating enough food to support basic functions, not to mention walking around all day, or whatever.

The suggestion is to eat BMR at a bare minimum. But, you should really eat a little below TDEE, but above BMR.