Grrrr - No pictures please!

Options
So - i should feel great since I have hit the 10lb's lost mark - however, at a family picnic, my cousin took a bunch pictures of everyone, and when she posted them - i look way bigger than i thought i would, since i was feeling so good!

Granted, i am happy about the loss- happy that clothes fit better, etc etc etc..... but when the heck am i am going to be happy about a picture that is taken of me? ugh.

Had to get that off my chest because its just so frustrating....:mad:

Replies

• annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I can so relate!!!!

Last night I looked at pictures taken of me at the zoo on our vacation a couple of weeks ago. Here I am thinking that I looked great but when I saw the pics, I was just fat, fat, fat!!!

Of course, I knew it...that's the reason why I'm here in the first place.

But my husband, he would point out a pic of me and say "wow, you look great in the pic"...so, I think that we are the hardest critics on ourselves than anyone else.

Yep, it will take time...but one day you'll look at a pic of yourself, then look at an old pic, and realize that you look great and came a long way.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better pictures really do add on weight because it is taking a 3 dimensional object and making it 2 dimensional. I learned that in my film class :wink:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    I feel the same way...but take comfort in the cameras/tv increase the visual size of us. It's not at all true! :tongue:

You know that ole saying "that's not a good picture of me". Well you could take 3 pictures of yourself & 1 of them is bound to make you happy. :wink:

Go by the size of your jeans. I'm sure you look better & feel better than 10 lbs. ago? I just gained my 10 lbs back so now I have no good news on my ticker:sad:

Your doing great....be ahppy:drinker:
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I know the feeling!! The same thing happened to me. However I took a closer look at the pictures and realized that my weightloss really did show! I noticed the rolls on my back went down (you know that little indent where your hips are) and that my double chin was almost gone. Take another look at those pictures and find places where it does show. Your overall shape wont shrink very noticably for a while but you will notice little areas which are improving. It will give you back your confidence and that happy feeling.
  • ragos97
    ragos97 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi! I feel your pain. I always think I look so much better until I see a picture of myself. It is very frustrating. I don't know if I look at myself through rose-colored glasses or if the camera really does add 5+ lbs. Anyway, you should be really proud of yourself-10 lbs. is awesome! Don't let this get you down.:drinker:
  • Shakes
    Shakes Posts: 54
    Options
    We are our worst critics/enemies! Keep up the good work! Time will show :wink:
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I can totally sympathize. I am right there with you. I look at the numbers lost and think wow that is so great! Then I see a picture of me or me in the mirror and I am surprised there isn't more of a difference. When I sit and actually compare pictures from Christmas to now I can see the differences, but for now feeling the differences is the best thing. Focus on that. You have lost 10lbs! That is a great accomplishment. Eventually the evil camera will get the real you :smile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way... and look how much i've lost!!! my body image is still totally screwed up, and probably will be for a long time.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!

What I see in the mirror is NOT what comes out in photos! I think I look half way decent when I look in the mirror but when I see a picture I still HATE the way I look. Some people are photogenic and I of course am not!! So until I have lost a bunch of weight I don't even want to look at any pictures!!

Hang in there. It will get better!!

Memaw
  • FINALLY4ME
    FINALLY4ME Posts: 643
    Options
    yup same here!:grumble:

stupid wrong angles!:angry:

I love when someone shows me one of a night I thought I looked pretty good on....and its a lovely sideview...and omg is THAT how my arms look????????:noway: :sad:

models know a wrong angle can ruin your whole day...chalk it up to that hon, the mirror and a tape measure will never lie...but those cameras and scales...they can break your heart:cry:

keep up the great job....I'm sure everyone there saw what you saw in the mirror!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :smooched:
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    I'm just going to ditto everything said here. I was telling Ocean last night that people that haven't seen me in a few weeks are reacting in shock at the weight I've lost when they see me this week. I've lost 4 in all around. I can look at myself in a mirror, window reflection, not too mention I no longer feel like I'm wearing a snowsuit but yet when I see a picture... I could puke! Seriously! Figuratively of course. :tongue:

Don't focus on the images, they are distorted. It's not distorted body image or self-esteem, it really is the photo process.

Keep up the good work!!!
  • eellizzzabbeetthh
    Options
    I know what you mean. This past weekend was my sister-in-laws wedding. Photos are my nemesis these days. Especially when my photographer Sis-in-law wanted to take photos of me. I hate feeling like a beeatch but really, don't take it unless I feel good about myself please!